363     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.7K     6 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 652     0 

Chinatown

Is that supposed to be "Asian"?

AoD

Technically, they just updated on the previous building outline. But I definitely would have preferred if they dropped the gimmicky roofline motif.

3aea-20121121-forestview-restaurant.jpg-resize_then_crop-_frame_bg_color_FFF-h_1365-gravity_center-q_70-preserve_ratio_true-w_2048_.jpg

Last time I checked, the property owners were still trying to find a new prospective tenant. So I'm not sure if they've confirmed anything yet. It's a rather awkward building though. Especially with all the expanses of blank brick walls along the Dundas side. In my ideal world, this would be a prime spot for redevelopment altogether.

Yup, the Chinese real estate ads seem to be separate for main floor (and basement) from second and/or third. Looks like they're aiming for multiple tenants, but like AlbertC suggested, I think it would be a good corner for redevelopment.

Showing East Chinatown some love, because this neighbourhood is one of my favourites.

This really is an underrated neighborhood. Part of me thinks that this could be the next cool place in a few years. It's a bit isolated, but still worth a visit.

(I think this video would be good in the Riverdale thread.)

I'm guessing it may be just the owners retiring. End of an era for another one of the older restaurants now gone. Lee Garden wasn't necessarily a place I'd go to, but it's definitely a popular place in the area.

Probably, though long-time customers might have gotten heads up for it? I think the brother of the owner also runs Magic Wok (神燈) in Markham though I am not sure if that's still the case anymore.

Anyways, end of an era indeed.

AoD

My Dad is going to be really sad about that Lee Garden closure. Does anyone have another similar Chinatown recommendation?

He's at an age that contemporary settings and food trends are a negative when looking for a restaurant. Also, Lee Garden was Westernized Chinese food but in a good way particularly as you get to older age. Less oil, salt, and additives then most and emphasis on better ingredients and balanced proportions, not large portions and over abundance of meat etc.

Back