Toronto Sugar Wharf Condominiums (Phase 1) | 231m | 70s | Menkes | a—A

As far as i'm concerned, the only two architects that really stand out from the crowd in this city are Sweeny & Co and HP. Teeple has been starting to step up their game as well.

As for the rest of them I wont even hold my breath with anything they put forth.

We need more outside firms designing projects in this area to spice things up. I'm not saying any thing negative about any local firms, but when things get over saturated, they also get less interesting.

Do you think that would help? I honestly have no idea, and view these proposals with more of a pedestrian/amateurish eye. But maybe the developers did hire outside firms or held design competitions - with this one winning? I really don't know. But it is triangular, which is fairly unique for Toronto. Doesn't really impress me, but I'm not an expert by any means. The last two Toronto highrise projects that created major emotion in me were The One and Mirvish Gehry (for loving the structural expressionism of the former and being confused/disgusted by the latter).

So I guess I'm more asking: what types of architecture - or specific examples of lauded highrise architecture worldwide - do people want to see here? And how can we get these built in Lower Yonge? This site definitely deserves something bold and unique.

Do you think that would help? I honestly have no idea, and view these proposals with more of a pedestrian/amateurish eye. But maybe the developers did hire outside firms or held design competitions - with this one winning? I really don't know. But it is triangular, which is fairly unique for Toronto. Doesn't really impress me, but I'm not an expert by any means. The last two Toronto highrise projects that created major emotion in me were The One and Mirvish Gehry (for loving the structural expressionism of the former and being confused/disgusted by the latter).

So I guess I'm more asking: what types of architecture - or specific examples of lauded highrise architecture worldwide - do people want to see here? And how can we get these built in Lower Yonge? This site definitely deserves something bold and unique.

Is the answer international firms; or a commitment for design excellence first regardless of where the firm is from? It is almost like you need to have the latter first - followed by a willingness to aim even higher. Those who aren't willing to do so are not going to pay for what stararchitects come up with.

AoD

I don't have the answer. I just want to see more variation in form, colour and materials. I understand that budgets often don't allow for starchitects. Popular local firms often have their own design aesthetics. I can appreciate that, but I would appreciate it more if there was more variation.
If you don't have the budget for a Hadid, or Herzog and de Meuron, I get it. Why not Saucier and Perrotte, Teeple? Or as I suggested earlier, if you really want Ice 3 and 4 why not at least make them a different colour? Why do developers not want their projects to stand out? It is not that I dislike aA or this design I just want to see other things too.

The proposed PATH bridge to the block on the west with the pair of 300m towers

Capture.png
I feel like I am playing Where's Waldo?

Where?

I consider those renderings to only represent massing and not the architectural treatment, so I think it's too early to set up expectations for those towers.

I'm not aware of Menkes' phasing plan, but as the drawings indicate, Block 2 and Block 4 are at the same level of development. In fairness the south half of Block 4 has a lot more moving parts with the possibility of a school/daycare, but Block 2 is no less a massing stand-in than Block 4 is - I'd anticipate a lot of change to come here.

The thread might be quieter for now, but I think we should have a thread for Block 4 or make this thread a combined one for now - there's perhaps more interesting discussion to be had for Block 4 and its mid-block walkway, integration of heritage elements, etc.

I'm not aware of Menkes' phasing plan, but as the drawings indicate, Block 2 and Block 4 are at the same level of development. In fairness the south half of Block 4 has a lot more moving parts with the possibility of a school/daycare, but Block 2 is no less a massing stand-in than Block 4 is - I'd anticipate a lot of change to come here.

The thread might be quieter for now, but I think we should have a thread for Block 4 or make this thread a combined one for now - there's perhaps more interesting discussion to be had for Block 4 and its mid-block walkway, integration of heritage elements, etc.
I'll look through the LCBO Tower thread soon for seed posts for a Block 4 thread!

If a university student submits work in one course that is substantially the same as work already submitted for credit in another course, it is known as serial plagiarism. The student may face academic discipline for the submission.

At this point, these renders look like the architectural equivalent of serial plagiarism. I like the Ice towers. I would give aA an A for them. (Or at least an A-!). But I think I would prefer not to see them imitated a few blocks away.

Back