News   May 07, 2024
 182     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 608     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.2K     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

-Renders were drawn up before electrification has been confirmed
They would have designed it to be compatible with fitting future catenary (or rigid rail) in. They've been protecting the GO network for the possibility of future electrification for more than a decade now....

When they rebuilt overpasses (including one in Hamilton) they were raised to the minimum height required for catenary installation. This was long specified as being 7.4 meter (7.436m) to underside of bridges, high enough for OCS (Overhead Contact System) to be safely above existing bilevels.

There are several documents, but relevant to GO electrification OCS clearance:
- 2008 GO Transit addendum (section 6.1) specifying 7400mm from top of rail to bridge underside.
- CSA Standards (1991, 2003) on clerances needed. Requires payment to download.
- Newer 2014 Metrolinx doc (section 3.3.4) saying 7.436m as preferred, and 7.265m as minimum

The magic number is 7400mm, or preferably, 7436mm between TOR (Top-of-Rail) to underside of structures, for a 25kVAC catenary, permitting use of existing Bombardier BiLevels.

Last edited:
I would guess it is a desire to keep it simple and express the overall design concept, letting the general impression sink in, without complicating matters with detail.That's a common and universal approach used by architects and designers, and it's good wisdom. It's amazing how much simple white blocks can convey.
My first impression was same, albeit the 'box' describes the clearance gauge which the catenary will clear
upload_2017-1-15_13-16-50.png
upload_2017-1-15_13-17-44.png

and the "catenary supports below bottom cord of truss" detail. It may not have been decided yet as to whether the "catenary" is to be suspended with give, or a rigid overheard bus, in which case the term 'catenary' becomes a misnomer. I'd guess the solid bus, it's far safer in an accident, especially with crowds adjacent, doesn't need to have 'give' as it's supported at many points, and the level of the roof can be a lot lower, which is why it's almost always used in tunnels and under bridges.
My fear, however, is it may be a sign that ML's architects have experience with public spaces, but have never seen or thought through the specifics of catenary.
Yeah....you could be labelled a cynic for stating that, but the proof is in that happening a number of times, Union Shed being a classic, albeit there's many tunnels (under the Hudson, for instance) where the overhead bus is much lower than Union Shed even. (Caveat added: Hudson Tunnels won't clear Amtrak or commuter bi-levels)
If ML wants to brag about its 'design excellence', they need to deliver the full package bafore anyone weighs in.
In all fairness to Metrolinx, there may be other drawings in the complete package that do show all mechanical/engineering details too, these might be simplified for the public, as you stated initially:
"I would guess it is a desire to keep it simple and express the overall design concept, letting the general impression sink in, without complicating matters with detail.That's a common and universal approach used by architects and designers, and it's good wisdom. It's amazing how much simple white blocks can convey."

I had an interesting discussion on the software renderings used of late, especially comparing them to ones more typical in European rail stations, with an architect prof friend just last week, how I have mixed feelings on the 'semi-transparent' figurines of people. I can understand why it is being done, but especially when it's in a video, as opposed to a static drawings, opaque figures look vastly more convincing to the eye in accepting the entire view. The challenge, of course, is not to obstruct the prime purpose of the illustration: the physical entity while still displaying usage.

"I see dead people"...comes to mind.

Btw: lol...they shrunk the adults in the renderings. Adult height is typically up to the level of the GO insignia on the front of MP40s. Those locos are big, but not that big.

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-15_13-16-50.png
    upload_2017-1-15_13-16-50.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 268
  • upload_2017-1-15_13-17-44.png
    upload_2017-1-15_13-17-44.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Theyb

Its probably going to be some form of laminate, but then again laminate is quite expensive vs wood ....maybe they will use Cyprus wood....

3 possible theories on why there's no cantenaries
-Renders were drawn up before electrification has been confirmed
-since electrification is such a political potato, it's probably better to show less than more just in case it doesn't happen if PC wins in 2018
-It would make the rendering too busy for ones eyes to discern every single detail since the station architecture is the main focal point

Any other theories to throw on the table?
These renderings seem very preliminary. The public meeting story boards from November show a different conceptual track layout for Aurora station (side platform-two tracks-centre platform-third track) along with the traditional barebones platform shelters. Nothing has been finalized so the final product could be different from either one.

I would go with "fantastic" (i.e., it's a fantasy that the taxfighter politicians will let us have something nice.)

At a recent Toronto City Council debate, Councillor Holyday made a comment that GO and ST stations should be built out of "concrete block and metal roofing", in the interest of economy.

He was outvoted on that, but that point of view is certainly going to be heard from in the coming year.

- Paul

At a recent Toronto City Council debate, Councillor Holyday made a comment that GO and ST stations should be built out of "concrete block and metal roofing", in the interest of economy.

He was outvoted on that, but that point of view is certainly going to be heard from in the coming year.

- Paul

GO does have to be careful about the operating subsidy requirement. They do predict not needing more (in $$ terms) but if there is a sudden jump in the provincial/municipal operating subsidy at the same time there is a recession (drop in tax revenue) there may be a pull back similar to Bob Rae's Barrie abandonment.

They just have to manage growth carefully and make sure there is enough demand or else in the future there is some risk

- Paul
It's going to have to be, albeit built with an eye to allowing improvement when the financing (if ever) allows it. We'd all love to see spectacular palaces of opulence grace our existence, but Toronto is broke, and the cupboard is bare. Transit is an essential service, and there's insufficient funding to even maintain it properly at this point. It is time to build more with less, and put the emphasis on function, not fashion. That doesn't mean to say that minimalist structures are ugly, that too would be counterproductive to function, as mood is very important for the public in their daily lives, but it does mean a return to affordable sensibility.

New Metrolinx tender on MERX, posted Friday:

CONSTRUCTION OF TRACK TO INSTALLATION ON WESTON
Metrolinx is accepting Tenders for construction for Weston Subdivision Mile 7.2 to Mile 9.3 and Mile 11.5 to Mile 13.5 Track and Grading

If I'm not mistaken, Mile 7.2 of the Weston Sub is around Ray Avenue. So I'm assuming Metrolinx is finally putting in another track here going north (functional track #4)? I know the 401 tunnel has to be rebuilt (being tendered) so this work seems like "everything but that".

New Metrolinx tender on MERX, posted Friday:

CONSTRUCTION OF TRACK TO INSTALLATION ON WESTON
Metrolinx is accepting Tenders for construction for Weston Subdivision Mile 7.2 to Mile 9.3 and Mile 11.5 to Mile 13.5 Track and Grading

If I'm not mistaken, Mile 7.2 of the Weston Sub is around Ray Avenue. So I'm assuming Metrolinx is finally putting in another track here going north (functional track #4)? I know the 401 tunnel has to be rebuilt (being tendered) so this work seems like "everything but that".

7.3 is the interlocking at Nickle, and 9.3 is Weston Road. There is already a 4th track laid (but dormant) from Weston Road to Humberview, the next interlocking, just southeast of the 401. The new trackage will close the gap to create a 4th track between the two interlockings, This would enable more frequent 2-way operation on the track normally used by GO as a peak-direction track and as a 2-way off peak track.

11.5 is just west of Etobicoke North, and 13.5 is just west of Wice. Again, that gives 2-direction movement without interfering with UPE west of Etobicoke North.

The only down side in this otherwise good news is that neither Weston nor Etobicoke North will have platforms for the new track....so there is still some potential limitation on 2WAD service. But overall it enables considerable improvement and operational flexibility.

- Paul

I think we all just need to recognize that they can make great stations at a low cost, prefab is a good option. As long as they are well covered I don't think anyone will compare about them being barebones!

Pardon me for copying this over from the Moose string, Alexander posted what I think is exactly needed for the six SmartTrack stations. Note the pics closely, they are prefab.
Just wanted to post a rendering of a station I found on the MOOSE site. Very simple design, but I like it. It is functional but not overboard.

[...]

tii6T8o.png

Sc4Ch0s.png

It's going to have to be, albeit built with an eye to allowing improvement when the financing (if ever) allows it. We'd all love to see spectacular palaces of opulence grace our existence, but Toronto is broke, and the cupboard is bare.

My opinion as well- get it up and running as soon as possible, and fill in the aesthetic gaps later on.

Toronto certainly isn't broke, but it sure is miserly.

The only down side in this otherwise good news is that neither Weston nor Etobicoke North will have platforms for the new track....so there is still some potential limitation on 2WAD service. But overall it enables considerable improvement and operational flexibility.

- Paul

There will be an additional tender going out the fourth track to the south, and a third one for finishing/upgrading the stations along the line. This is in addition to the tender already out (and maybe awarded?) for the 4th track and tunnel under the 401.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

There will be an additional tender going out the fourth track to the south, and a third one for finishing/upgrading the stations along the line. This is in addition to the tender already out (and maybe awarded?) for the 4th track and tunnel under the 401.

I don't recall hearing that the tender had been awarded for the 401, but it can't be far off. It's probably the longest-lead time item in the list, although if the station enhancements require added tunnelling, they may take time also.

Overall it feels like this is likely to mostly come together around the time that the Dufferin Bridge is done. That is really good news for this corridor.

I haven't heard if the intention to proceed with the south end additions has been communicated to the community. As we discussed a long while back, some narrowing of the Railpath around Bloor is likely unavoidable to squeeze the fourth track in through there. In the grand scheme of all the great additions that have been announced for the Railpath network, that's not that hard a pill to swallow. I just hope it doesn't come as a surprise to anyone.

- Paul

Putting in the 4th track south of 427 will require tunneling for the station at Etobicoke North Station to get under the new Track 1 and access to the existing platform. It will require an elevator on both sides of track 1.

Weston will see a new east platform to service the new track 1 and the tunnels are already in place to be connected to the new platform that will be for GO only. 2 elevator are require for the new platform

Bloor will cause a lot of problems, as tunnels will have to be built under the new track 1, as well access to them in the current RailPath ROW. The RailPath will become narrow in a few location for the new track. It will be a surprise to many people since it was never made clear what the full plan was to look like before construction started for what there now.

Back