News   May 28, 2024
 453     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 500     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I hope a similar approach is taken at all the other major grade separations that will be needed for the Stouffville line.

Weekend Service on the Barrie line starts at 11 and has a huge gap at the late afternoon early evening. Can't wait for the tracks to be done so they fill in the gaps. Also want to see what weekday service on Stouffville will look like. I also hope the grade separation will just as clean.

I'm still surprised that we're dealing with curved platforms though, making it tough for CSRs on the doors on an outer curve.
Also difficult to maximise accessibility because of curved platform vs straight coaches. Would be outright forbidden (in new build stations) in Ireland by the Railway Safety Commission, if I recall correctly.

I just found it amazing that renders showed it as fully enclosed, besides Union are their any other enclosed GO stations? What about planned stations?
King-Victoria Intermodal Terminal in Kitchener is supposedly planned to be somewhat enclosed.

I just found it amazing that renders showed it as fully enclosed, besides Union are their any other enclosed GO stations? What about planned stations?

There are renders out there for a standard design of mostly-enclosed structure for use on two track, side-platform stations. Aurora and Agincourt are two stations that have it presented publicly, and I suspect that many of the stations on both the Barrie and Stouffville lines have had it mocked up internally.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

There are renders out there for a standard design of mostly-enclosed structure for use on two track, side-platform stations. Aurora and Agincourt are two stations that have it presented publicly, and I suspect that many of the stations on both the Barrie and Stouffville lines have had it mocked up internally.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Here are those renders from some public PDFs. I like the designs and would like the see them built at multiple stations.

LNmtjqB.jpg

Yt7fCIR.jpg

R9UFLn8.jpg

D5tCf5q.jpg

N7GRyl4.jpg

Here are those renders from some public PDFs. I like the designs and would like the see them built at multiple stations.

Great design. Could also be build very economically with the trusses being built offsite. Can replicate with different sized trusses for 2 vs 3 track layouts.

The cost skyrocket if you don't use the same design across the entire system (i.e. the Spadina subway extension)

Great design. Could also be build very economically with the trusses being built offsite. Can replicate with different sized trusses for 2 vs 3 track layouts.

The cost skyrocket if you don't use the same design across the entire system (i.e. the Spadina subway extension)

Really like the design as well. I guess my only worry is that this could be an ease "cut" if someone wanted to pare back the RER budget. Is there any civil engineering or service benefit to this?

Render of the Steeles Avenue grade separation from the pubic meeting held last week. Preferred solution is 6 lanes with a separated cycle track and a pedestrian bridge across beside the rail bridge, providing access to the Pacific Mall from Milliken station. Direct Steeles bus loading and unloading with access to the pedestrian bridge, too.

View attachment 95520

I am curious how they are going to move traffic around to accomodate this construction. I remember when the Agincourt separation was built, they made a makeshift road on the north side, but there was actual space to do this. That Pacific Mall area is super busy on a regular day, as that place has 2 malls and a car dealership, so unless Metrolinx starts buying land right now, it would be a disaster.

I like the European trainshed flavour of those stations. Protection from the elements is welcome.

Wooden ceiling panels in the path of diesel exhaust is the only feature I dislike. They will get grimy quickly, and I wonder about fire potential. And general cleanability of the undersides of those roofs, which are pretty intricate. No simple spray washing will work with all those nooks and crannies. How bird-unfriendly will they be? Pretty nest-inviting as shown. Don't want anyone getting 'bombed' from above.

That, and ML's continuing reluctance to show fuller catenary details in their renderings. It's as if their heart isn't in electrification.

- Paul

I doubt the wood will actually be wood.

There are plenty of materials out there that have some wood surface texture and coloring but are completely inorganic and fireproof.

Definitely agree that Metrolinx should be emphasizing electrification in its future renderings.

Theyb
I doubt the wood will actually be wood.

There are plenty of materials out there that have some wood surface texture and coloring but are completely inorganic and fireproof.

Definitely agree that Metrolinx should be emphasizing electrification in its future renderings.

Its probably going to be some form of laminate, but then again laminate is quite expensive vs wood ....maybe they will use Cyprus wood....

3 possible theories on why there's no cantenaries
-Renders were drawn up before electrification has been confirmed
-since electrification is such a political potato, it's probably better to show less than more just in case it doesn't happen if PC wins in 2018
-It would make the rendering too busy for ones eyes to discern every single detail since the station architecture is the main focal point

Any other theories to throw on the table?

[QUOTE="cplchanb, post: 1182413, member: 7667]
Any other theories to throw on the table?[/QUOTE]

I would guess it is a desire to keep it simple and express the overall design concept, letting the general impression sink in, without complicating matters with detail.That's a common and universal approach used by architects and designers, and it's good wisdom. It's amazing how much simple white blocks can convey.

My fear, however, is it may be a sign that ML's architects have experience with public spaces, but have never seen or thought through the specifics of catenary. Further down the road, the engineers will look at all the support points needed to hang catenary, and the weight bearing requirements, clearances, etc.... and suddenly the pillar spacing changes, or something. Worst case, there are change orders in construction that are costly and ugly. I pointed out the cleaning/bird issues ..... operability and maintainability also need to be proven. You won't have a guy on a stepladder cleaning the beams or changing light bulbs with the catenary energised :)

Catenary is such an overwhelming visual feature. You have to add it before you can be sure the design works. Same with signage, etc.... you may not know the specifics of the design, but where will the signs be and how much will they break up the visual lines etc. MBTA logos are better than having no signage ;-)

If ML wants to brag about its 'design excellence', they need to deliver the full package bafore anyone weighs in. Intent is not results, and this design is still high level.

- Paul

[QUOTE="cplchanb, post: 1182413, member: 7667]

I would guess it is a desire to keep it simple and express the overall design concept, letting the general impression sink in, without complicating matters with detail.That's a common and universal approach used by architects and designers, and it's good wisdom. It's amazing how much simple white blocks can convey.

My fear, however, is it may be a sign that ML's architects have experience with public spaces, but have never seen or thought through the specifics of catenary. Further down the road, the engineers will look at all the support points needed to hang catenary, and the weight bearing requirements, clearances, etc.... and suddenly the pillar spacing changes, or something. Worst case, there are change orders in construction that are costly and ugly. I pointed out the cleaning/bird issues ..... operability and maintainability also need to be proven. You won't have a guy on a stepladder cleaning the beams or changing light bulbs with the catenary energised :)

Catenary is such an overwhelming visual feature. You have to add it before you can be sure the design works. Same with signage, etc.... you may not know the specifics of the design, but where will the signs be and how much will they break up the visual lines etc. MBTA logos are better than having no signage ;-)

If ML wants to brag about its 'design excellence', they need to deliver the full package bafore anyone weighs in. Intent is not results, and this design is still high level.

- Paul[/QUOTE]
I can second Paul on this...having engineered several buildings on this forum I can say that many of the architects and interior designers designs are rather from a dreamworld. Most of the time the reality is much less "beautiful" than what they originally penned up as the mechanical aspect has to be factored in. This is especially true for architects who have little experience dealing with the mechanical aspects of the design

Theyb

3 possible theories on why there's no cantenaries
-Renders were drawn up before electrification has been confirmed
-since electrification is such a political potato, it's probably better to show less than more just in case it doesn't happen if PC wins in 2018
-It would make the rendering too busy for ones eyes to discern every single detail since the station architecture is the main focal point

I just assumed that the support beams each would be designed with a hole to attach the wires for the cantenary. The support beams will more than compensate for any tension created from the wires. Even though they probably only need 1 in 5 beams for the cantenary the mass production costs of adding an extra hole.

Back