Toronto Lillian Park | 84.73m | 28s | Collecdev | Kohn Shnier

At the Design Review Panel now.

Following consultation with locals, the two towers have each been reduced in height by two storeys (reflected in the thread title now), while the "luke warm" reception of the gallery and the local residents stated needs for daycare has meant that the gallery is gone from the plan and a daycare is taking its place.

Great that there's daycare coming, but rotten to no longer having a new private gallery on offer for the city. It's places like that which bring individuality to an area and help to make them memorable.

So, with the gallery gone, the name of the project has changed from Gallery Park to Lillian Park… as per the new thread title.

Good question. It may be a budget concern. Kohn Shnier are looking at masonry cladding for this building, so Shiplake are already planning to spend more than most developers to construct this. That may mean no more budget for more than one major public benefit.

The gallery was moved primarily because of the City's desire for the footprint it occupied to be designated as publicly accessible private open space, absent of buildings. The Gallery was an attempt to address this desire by incorporating a publicly accessible building, with accessible open space on the roof. Because of the cantilever, the roof actually increased the amount of outdoor open space. However, the City's and Councillor's preference was to remove it, and emphasis was made for the need for a daycare facility.

Shiplake wanted to spend the money on the gallery, because it represented a public benefit, and provided them with an opportunity to showcase the family's spectacular art collection to the public.

Here's hoping they are looking for another way to showcase it. I would hate for this to have been the only chance we as a city would get to benefit from it. I want a city with cultural jewels stern throughout, and Yonge-Eglinton would have really benefitted from this. Kohn Shnier do beautiful work so I was really looking forward to this gallery, but maybe on another site…

Yah, Yonge-Eglinton is lacking this kind of amenity. That is unfortunate I suppose.

How far away are we from seeing some half-decent renders of this building?

The new towers were approved yesterday at City Council, but the application was amended in some way… although I'm not certain what the amendment(s) was(were).

There are some updated drawings on the City Application site - very curious to see how these elevations end up looking with the varying brick colours

idbo1j.png

Wow. Horrifying.

This could be an unprecedented amount of spandrel (#4). Nothing Shiplake isn't accustomed to (see what they've done to DSAI's design on Balliol for example).

On one hand, I like infill projects.

On the other hand, this is sub-par design.

Between the detailing (including the gradient in the brick veneer), the landscaping and sectional quality of the project, and moves like the structural expression at grade, I am surprised you see this as sub-par, but to each their own. I would argue there is more "architecture" in this than in perhaps most residential projects of this height going up in the city right now.

Between the detailing (including the gradient in the brick veneer), the landscaping and sectional quality of the project, and moves like the structural expression at grade, I am surprised you see this as sub-par, but to each their own. I would argue there is more "architecture" in this than in perhaps most residential projects of this height going up in the city right now.
I like the architecture itself, I don't like the detailing and colours and have low faith in the materials planned especially the spandrel.

I couldn't think of the proper word to use, so I went with design. But I think the architects themselves did a good (enough) job.

That critique makes sense to me; I'll agree that the materials could turn out poorly if not selected really carefully, and the spandrel glass is a disappointment.

Back