News   May 03, 2024
 290     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 231     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 126     0 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

^^What would you do when you have to make a level change? I like the idea, but I am not sure how you would go about putting in ramps where the stairs are- not to mention they would be pretty steep, unless you you make them at 7%- then it could work, but they would be awfully long..

With regards to bike paths in this city. Honestly it is a disgrace how few lanes we have and of the lanes we do have, how little room is actually allocated for the bike is ridiculous. I ride my bike everyday- a little less now with all the rain and finally snow- but I ride a lot and I often find myself wondering why, as many other cyclists have also wondered, we are totally ignored?

I agree that some cyclists need to learn the rules of the road and obey them- but give us a space to ride and then maybe people would be more inclined to obey because they actually feel like they are part of the traffic. I have been bumped by cars, doored, squeezed off the road, pushed from behind etc., all by f-ing asshole drivers wanting to make a point that I am either not welcome on the road or completely oblivious to the fact that I am there.

Yet, even when there are bike lanes, they are constantly disregarded- people parking in the lanes, driving in them etc. Nonetheless, more bike lanes would make a hell of a lot of us feel better about riding and knowing that we actually have a space to ride. There are a lot of cyclists out there and I am sure many of them feel the same way.

p5

No, because you'd need special ventilation systems, etc. The Path system as it exists is perfect for bicycle traffic. Check out the map http://www.toronto.ca/path/pdf/path_brochure.pdf you could ride your bike undercover of weather and away from cars all over downtown.

You know what, I would be all for this idea if it was possible. How are you going to have a bike lane in the path when there are so many people walking about especially during rush hour. I don't think it would be very safe for anyone.

Here's my plan....let's get the cyclists off the road downtown. Instead, we retro-fit the existing underground Path network, with separate lanes for bikes, with ramps at strategically located throughout the network.

Maybe we should make the PATH segway only.

You know what, I would be all for this idea if it was possible. How are you going to have a bike lane in the path when there are so many people walking about especially during rush hour. I don't think it would be very safe for anyone.
It would require a re-design, but I imagine there are access tunnels that we don't see that could be utilized.

I've never seen a driver kick it up onto the sidewalk to avoid a line of cars

Well when that line of cars are in a bike lane what would you have them do?

For every bad biker there are at least double bad drivers. try riding a bike down Bay street between 7am -7pm Mon-through Fri in the Diamond lane. So many drivers abuse the lane it's not even funny. People who argue that bikes can't pass on the right squeezing past a long line of traffic would also be the first to complain if we took up an entire line on the road. Guess what we have every legal right to use any lane of the road and ride as slow as we want. I'd say 99% of cyclists would never do that. Where as I can count at least a dozen or so abuses by motorists with regards to abusing the bike lanes everyday.

No cyclist or motorist in this city can honestly say they don't break the rules from time to time. Let's face it, if your not aggressive at times you'll never get anywhere.

This city needs more enforcement of bike lane abuse, and better education to the public in Toronto and who come into this city about sharing the road with cyclists.

The city also needs more enforcement of sidewalk abouse, and better education to the cyclists of Toronto that it is never permissible to ride on the sidewalk.

The city also needs more enforcement of sidewalk abouse, and better education to the cyclists of Toronto that it is never permissible to ride on the sidewalk.

Yes, absolutely. It's crazy that any pedestrian has to jump out of the way to avoid a cyclist driving on the sidewalk because they fear for their safety on the road.

And then there are the cyclists who persist in driving their bikes on crosswalks. I presume this is an infraction in Toronto. In Ottawa, a cyclist could get a $250 fine for cycling in a crosswalk (not that these types of bylaws appear to be enforced in any city).

Well when that line of cars are in a bike lane what would you have them do?

I'd have them stop. Just like they'd have to do if they were taking up an entire lane in regular traffic and came upon an intersection with cars waiting at it. In a few seconds traffic would resume and their lane would be cleared.

I'm a delivery driver in Yonge/ Eglinton area.

No one of cyclists there stops ever at ALL WAYS STOP signs.
About 30% don't stop on red light if they go along Yonge street and they don't see any car moves across.

What respect are you requesting for guys?

I'm a delivery driver in Yonge/ Eglinton area.

No one of cyclists there stops ever at ALL WAYS STOP signs.
About 30% don't stop on red light if they go along Yonge street and they don't see any car moves across.

What respect are you requesting for guys?
Like I said earlier in this thread, As as motorcyclist, IMO if cyclists conducted themselves more like those on motorcycles, i.e. did not run stop signs, did not weave in and out of traffic, did not ride on sidewalks, did not pretend to be pedestrians and ride across crosswalks, used their hand signals and bell/horn, then perhaps they'd get a little more respect.

Until then, you're a target. When I was a teenager, riding my bicycle, a car opened its door on me and I narrowing missed a crash. A cop watching nearby called me over, and told me that since I did not have a bell or horn on my bike that a door-bike crash would be partially my fault. Even the cops give no respect unless (and rightfully so) cyclists follow the same laws everyone else does on the road.

How about we establish some bike-free roads downtown? This could be done in conjunction with setting up some car-free bike roads or separated (with concrete barriers) lanes downtown.

As cycling becomes more popular I am sure that in time we'll learn to get along and co-exist together. Mostly.

Back