News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 588     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

407 Rail Freight Bypass/The Missing Link

So far, Hamilton hasn't been biting. The yard looks like it will stay (for now).

Might be new movement in future, like after the Pier 7/8 gets built out, then the railyard becomes valuable enough to do the relocation.
I was at a recent event that mentioned the Stuart CN railyard relocation is still possible on the table as a long term horizon (your kid's generation), depending on what happens to U.S. Steel lands.

City of Hamilton has expressed interest in those lands, and one "easier" expressed option of using contaminated steel land is a relocated CN railyard, which makes great sense there right next to an upgraded version of the existing freight terminal at Randle Reef (which could add intermodal capability enhancements to a new railyard!). And direct access to Tesla Expressway (Burlington Blvd) for trucks. Hugely improved Intermodal benefits could win CN over. Also, Randle Reef is currently undergoing remediation.

So it is still a topic of quiet discussion, nothing big happening for a long while yet, but the pieces could slowly align by the 2020s or 2030s.

It would be Hamilton's rail megeproject equivalent of the 407 Rail Bypass.

But which one will happen first? Hmmm....

Last edited:
I had to do some double takes to makes sure I was reading that right, as if the term "Missing Link" has become a given in Metrolinx lingo...but the other two partners of the presentation are Mississauga and Brampton, the two most vociferous proponents of Missing Link.

But you're absolutely right on being presented as a given, not even qualified as a "freight bypass".

Hmmm...is there reason to be more positive about this than we're being let-on to believe?

I think Metrolinx prefers to call it the bypass and the Missing Link is more of a Mississauga-generated term because it implies CP. By leaving it as just "bypass" it could be CN or CN and CP.

I would argue that Milton and Cambridge are the more outspoken partners now. Brampton's needs are basically covered because CN has signed on.

Brampton's needs are basically covered because CN has signed on.
Yes, still absolutely nothing in the press since the announcement...I'm just so shocked.

But they (Wynne, Del Duca and the Gang of Regulars) were *meticulous* in calling it the "freight bypass"...there was no mention of "Missing Link" because it means something different, and rightly so.

I think you had it right in your earlier post: "Missing Link" is the term being touted, and it has a specific meaning.
[...]
What about the Missing Link Report?
The Missing Link Report has been mentioned as an al
-
ternative approach. The Missing Link is a study looking
at the possibility of building a new corridor that would di
-
vert freight traffic off the Milton and Kitchener corridors
to allow for the increase of GO train service to communi
-
ties along the lines. Metrolinx has been working with rail
and municipal partners on this study, however, for it to
become a reality, it would require competitors CP and CN
to work together and agree to share the same corridor,
considerable new government funding to purchase the
line which is estimated to be $5 billion, and an environ
-
mental assessment. This process could take more than
a decade and will severely limit GO Transit’s ability to pro
-
vide urgently needed rail services to passengers. Should
all these pieces come together, the increase in passenger
train traffic would still result in the removal of the Daven
-
port Diamond to improve reliability and safety.[...]
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/regionalplanning/rer/20160118_Davenport_Public_Meeting_Handout_EN.pdf

Last edited:
Yes, still absolutely nothing in the press since the announcement...I'm just so shocked.

But they (Wynne, Del Duca and the Gang of Regulars) were *meticulous* in calling it the "freight bypass"...there was no mention of "Missing Link" because it means something different, and rightly so.

I think you had it right in your earlier post: "Missing Link" is the term being touted, and it has a specific meaning.

They may have called it the bypass in the presser in June but the subsequent Metrolinx Board meeting called it the bypass so it's one in the same in my mind. The way I see it the Missing Link is the Mississauga version to help the Milton Corridor and the bypass is the version that would help the Kitchener Corridor.

That's just my personal view so feel free to disagree.

I put far more faith in the following than the wimpy whimsy words from Wynne-man and CN boy Robin:
May 06, 2016
[...]
...Mississauga encouraged federal backing for the Hurontario LRT, a downtown Mississauga Transitway, all-day two-way GO Train service on the Milton and Kitchener lines and establishing a heavy freight bypass rail line adjacent to Hwy. 407.

The LRT, transitway and all-day GO service have been local priorities for some time now. But the proposed bypass rail line for heavy freight, dubbed the Missing Link, was of particular emphasis during discussions Friday.

“A project of this magnitude also has national and international implications,” Crombie remarked. “This line is critical to Canada’s economy. It is the continental gateway allowing for the movement of large amounts of goods to and from the Central Canadian markets.”

All levels of government should partner together to make a project of this magnitude and economic importance a reality, she added.[...]
http://www.mississauga.com/news-sto...onnie-crombie-meet-to-discuss-infrastructure/

There is a very brief reference to more GO train service for Waterloo Region in today's fiscal update:

• GO rail service expansion to Waterloo Region — Working with Canadian National Railway to enable two-way, all-day GO rail service along the Kitchener corridor. Planning and technical analysis are underway.
Source.

This probably doesn't provide the assurance or specificity some here would like in order to believe the opening date the government announced but just wanted to pass it along.

The following tidbits from Robert Wightman commenting on a post on Steve Munro's Blog.

At the Metrolinx meeting at Bramalea SS last night a Metrolinx rep said that all the trains from beyond Bramalea would probably operate express to union with a 15 minute headway of locals operating in from there because the new stops would make the travel time too long for riders from outside the 416. He said they would need another 2 tracks to increase service to better than every 15 minutes because there isn’t track capacity or platform capacity at Union. There might be more that 4 trains per hour but a lot would be express

He also said that the CN-GO by pass line would start north of Milton with tracks following the Hydro corridor down to and along side the 407 to Bramalea where it would go under the Weston sub and re-join the Halton Sub east of Halwest. There would be no CP trains on it as they want nothing to do with this corridor, so no relief for service on the Milton line and probably no service to Cambridge.

The following tidbits from Robert Wightman commenting on a post on Steve Munro's Blog.

At the Metrolinx meeting at Bramalea SS last night a Metrolinx rep said that all the trains from beyond Bramalea would probably operate express to union with a 15 minute headway of locals operating in from there because the new stops would make the travel time too long for riders from outside the 416. He said they would need another 2 tracks to increase service to better than every 15 minutes because there isn’t track capacity or platform capacity at Union. There might be more that 4 trains per hour but a lot would be express

He also said that the CN-GO by pass line would start north of Milton with tracks following the Hydro corridor down to and along side the 407 to Bramalea where it would go under the Weston sub and re-join the Halton Sub east of Halwest. There would be no CP trains on it as they want nothing to do with this corridor, so no relief for service on the Milton line and probably no service to Cambridge.
Here's the link for that:
https://stevemunro.ca/2016/11/15/creative-writing-from-the-mayors-office/#comments

The fact remains that there is zero, nein, nada factual basis other than the photo-op and blurb on CN's "freight by-pass happening. Nor should there be, it was vapour for PR, nothing more.

Either the Missing Link happens big-time, or it won't happen at all, in any form or semblance. And "big time" means massive money, and I'm somewhat hopeful of the Investment Bank underwriting that. For what it would cost, the Missing Link represents incredible value in so many ways for all concerned.

Here's the link for that:
https://stevemunro.ca/2016/11/15/creative-writing-from-the-mayors-office/#comments

The fact remains that there is zero, nein, nada factual basis other than the photo-op and blurb on CN's "freight by-pass happening. Nor should there be, it was vapour for PR, nothing more.

Either the Missing Link happens big-time, or it won't happen at all, in any form or semblance. And "big time" means massive money, and I'm somewhat hopeful of the Investment Bank underwriting that. For what it would cost, the Missing Link represents incredible value in so many ways for all concerned.

Actually, work is happening to advance the bypass and I was part of the same conversation with Robert last night.

There was a senior official from GO Transit at the meeting who spoke about the ongoing discussions with CN Rail and the steps they are taking after reaching the Agreement in Principal. They are identifying properties to acquire. They have preliminary concept options and are looking roads, bridges, trenches, and overpasses that need to be built or modified, as indicated by Robert's comment. Discussions with hydro are taking place.

The bypass benefiting only the Kitchener Corridor can move ahead without CP Rail and that's what's taking place now. It is possible that the federal and provincial governments would choose to fund the bypass even if it doesn't include CP Rail and the benefits for the Milton Corridor.

Had you been at last night's meeting you could have asked the same questions and got a better understanding of what's taking place. Many of us here, including yourself, aren't in a position to say that nothing is happening because you don't work for GO, Metrolinx, or CN Rail.

Last edited:
Actually, work is happening to advance the bypass and I was part of the same conversation with Robert last night.

There was a senior official from GO Transit at the meeting who spoke about the ongoing discussions with CN Rail and the steps they are taking after reaching the Agreement in Principal. They are identifying properties to acquire. They have preliminary concept options and are looking roads, bridges, trenches, and overpasses that need to be built or modified, as indicated by Robert's comment. Discussions with hydro are taking place.

Had you been at last night's meeting you could have asked the same questions and got a better understanding of what's taking place. Many of us here, including yourself, aren't in a position to say that nothing is happening because you don't work for GO, Metrolinx, or CN Rail.
was there any discussion last night about intermediate service improvements while we wait/build to RER? Should we expect any in the near future.

There would be no CP trains on it as they want nothing to do with this corridor

If the Feds get involved with this project, they can force CP to get involved whether they want to or not.

Somet combination such as funding from the feds to Metrolinx for this project, VIA rails new Peterborough route, as well as fears of CP trains running oil cars through midtown Toronto could have their hands forced to do so regardless of if they want to or not.

The bypass benefiting only the Kitchener Corridor can move ahead without CP Rail and that's what's taking place now. It is possible that the federal and provincial governments would choose to fund the bypass even if it doesn't include CP Rail and the benefits for the Milton Corridor.

Hearsay doesn't count. John Tory makes all sorts of claims for SmartTrack. Even with Council's backing him, it's still all just talk.

I don't even believe HFR is going to happen, with all the documentation and on-line quotable statements, many of which I've posted myself. I have a good suspicion HFR will happen, not least due the buzz coming out of the Investment Bank proposal and interest, but nothing factual in writing to believe it...*yet*!

I repeat: If a "Freight By-Pass is going to happen, it will happen big, or not at all". As to "There would be no CP trains on it as they want nothing to do with this corridor, so no relief for service on the Milton line and probably no service to Cambridge." People are welcome to express their opinions. Mine is that CP is for the taking, if the price and terms are right. Offered the right deal, of course they'd take it. It won't work without them.

There's a hell of a lot larger game plan at stake than just the a "freight bypass" involving just CN. Who's going to underwrite that? Certainly not the Feds or private investment. It's got to be all or nothing to finance it to show sufficient return to make it worthwhile.

If the Feds get involved with this project, they can force CP to get involved whether they want to or not.

Somet combination such as funding from the feds to Metrolinx for this project, VIA rails new Peterborough route, as well as fears of CP trains running oil cars through midtown Toronto could have their hands forced to do so regardless of if they want to or not.
Indeed, under three Acts, at least, as posted in this and the VIA forum, the Feds have immense power. I've quoted the applicable sections a number of times. But before the Feds do that, they would much more prefer that all parties come to a mutual understanding (obviously including Big Invsetment) and the Feds reserve their draconian powers for *easing it through* lower levels of government red-tape. The biggest asset the Feds will bring to the Investment Bank isn't their 1/5 share seed money. It's the *regulatory clout* to make things happen. That alone attracts larger sources of capital, as it's one more assurance of minimizing risk and underwriting interest rates at the lowest attainable.

Once CP is brought to the table (and as Rob states correctly, they can choose to stay away and have changes imposed on them) then all sorts of improvements to the regions rail infrastructure can begin. Once started, I think you'll see almost everything on the table. Once the Class 1s realize the Gov't will underwrite massive investor injection of funds, they'd be absolute fools not to enthusiastically co-operate. Involving CN alone is a non-starter, hearsay of otherwise besides.

If CN alone participating is such a valid concept, then where's the hard-print to validate the claim? There's all sorts of civic, provincial and federal reports detailing the Missing Link. There's none other than PR look good propaganda releases for the CN only option.

The province has a few tools for leveraging CP. They specifically mentioned in the Fall fiscal update that they were looking at property taxes for railway corridors.

IIRC, the tracks aren't taxable but extras like the roadways, fibreoptics, gas lines, buildings, etc. are taxable and Ontario could give municipalities full flexibility to set tax rates for railway items. The current rate-per-acre paid by CN/CP are well below Toronto's standard commercial rates.

I'd guess the reason CP isn't involved is the province doesn't have money to deal with the Milton corridor yet. In fact, it looks like they're going to struggle to finish RER as announced without extra federal help.

The province has a few tools for leveraging CP. They specifically mentioned in the Fall fiscal update that they were looking at property taxes for railway corridors.
Indeed. All good points. I'll post more of various Acts later as I remember where I've saved them, but this pertains to your points:
PART IJoint Urban Development and Transportation Plans
Marginal note:Application to Agency
  • 3 (1) Where, in respect of an area in a province that includes or comprises an urban area, in this Part called a “transportation study area”, the government of the province and all the municipalities within that area have agreed on an urban development plan and transportation plan, in this Part called an “accepted plan”, for that transportation study area, the province or a municipality may, subject to subsection 4(1), apply to the Agency for such orders as the Agency may make under section 7 or 8 and as are necessary to carry out the accepted plan.

• Marginal note: Part of urban area
    (2) The Agency may receive an application in respect of a transportation study area that includes only a part of an urban area if the Agency is satisfied that the accepted plan materially affects only those municipalities located wholly or in part in the transportation study area to which the accepted plan relates.

• Marginal note:Financial assistance
    (3) Subject to subsection (4) and to such regulations as the Governor in Council may make in that behalf,
    • (a) the Minister of Transport may authorize the payment, out of moneys appropriated by Parliament therefor, of part of the cost of preparing such one or more transportation plans in respect of a transportation study area as are desirable to consider for the transportation study area; and

• (b) the Minister of Transport may authorize the payment, out of moneys appropriated by Parliament therefor, of part of the cost of preparing such one or more urban development plans in respect of a transportation study area as are desirable to consider for the transportation study area.
  • Marginal note:Limitation
    (4) Not more than fifty per cent of the amount of the cost of preparing urban development plans and transportation plans described in subsection (3) may be authorized for payment under that subsection.
  • R.S., 1985, c. R-4, s. 3;
  • R.S., 1985, c. 28 (3rd Supp.), s. 359.
Marginal note:Examination of federal involvement
  • 4 (1) Where an application to the Agency under subsection 3(1) is made in respect of an accepted plan that contemplates the use of federal programs established under the authority of Parliament in implementing the urban development or transportation plans forming part of the accepted plan, the application shall not be received by the Agency unless it is shown to the Agency that
    • (a) the Minister of Transport is satisfied that the federal programs contemplated for use in the urban development plan forming part of the accepted plan are available and would contribute significantly to the improvement of any urban area within the transportation study area in respect of which the application is made; and

• (b) the Governor in Council is prepared to authorize the allocation of moneys from the moneys appropriated by Parliament for the purposes of making relocation grants under this Part for the transportation plan forming part of the accepted plan in respect of which the application is made.
  • Marginal note:Regulating priorities
    (2) The Agency may, if it deems it necessary to do so, make rules for the handling of applications under subsection 3(1), and may by those rules prescribe the periods during which applications will be received by the Agency and may adopt an order of priorities governing the receipt by it of those applications.
  • R.S., 1985, c. R-4, s. 4;
Marginal note:Financial plan to accompany application
An application under section 3 shall contain a financial plan showing

• (a) how the costs and benefits of the transportation plan included in the accepted plan are to be shared by the province, the municipalities concerned, the railways affected by the accepted plan and any other interests that may be affected thereby;

• (b) how the costs of the transportation plan included in the accepted plan are to be met having regard to any amounts that may be applied thereto or recommended therefor under this Act;

• (c) the dates between which any payments or transactions required by the financial plan are to be made or carried out;

• (d) all financial assistance available to meet the costs of the transportation plan included in the accepted plan from all sources other than financial assistance from the Agency; and

• (e) such other information as the Agency deems necessary in respect of the transportation plan included in the accepted plan.
  • R.S., 1985, c. R-4, s. 5;
Marginal note:Submission to Agency of transportation plan
  • 6 (1) The accepted plan, together with the financial plan, shall be filed with the Agency and the Agency may accept the transportation plan and the financial plan either as submitted or with such changes in either of them as the Agency considers necessary, if
    • (a) the financial plan will not, in the opinion of the Agency, either
      • (i) impose on any railway company affected thereby any costs and losses greater than the benefits and payments receivable by the railway company under the plan, or

• (ii) confer on any railway company affected thereby any benefits and payments greater than the costs and losses incurred by the railway company under the plan;
    • (b) the financial plan sets out the amounts that, in the opinion of the applicant, the Agency would likely apply or recommend for payment under this Act in order to carry the transportation plan into effect;

• (c) when changes, if any, in the transportation plan or financial plan have been considered necessary by the Agency, the parties who prepared the accepted plan have agreed to modify that plan to the extent necessary to accord with the changes considered necessary by the Agency in the transportation plan or financial plan; and

• (d) the Agency is satisfied that the financial assistance set out in the financial plan will be committed to the purposes of the transportation plan when required.
  • Marginal note:Hearing
    (2) Before making any order under section 7 or 8 in respect of any accepted plan, the Agency shall hold a hearing thereon.
  • R.S., 1985, c. R-4, s. 6;

Back