Toronto Emerald Park Condos | 128.92m | 40s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

"Elevator to Subway" seems to indicate there will be an accessible means to both lines. Can anyone confirm an elevator is being installed at the south end of the Yonge platform?

"Elevator to Subway" seems to indicate there will be an accessible means to both lines. Can anyone confirm an elevator is being installed at the south end of the Yonge platform?

Quick answer is no,.... to find out why,....

I already covered this twice,....

When that sign first came out in May,.... post# 1819
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-122#post-1116891

I challenged my fellow posters to figure out what's wrong with it,.... post# 1821
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-122#post-1116915

From May 2016 - post# 1824
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-122#post-1116963

From June 2016 post# 1874
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-125#post-1129221

Bottom line,.... TTC wanted an accessible elevator for Sheppard-Yonge south entrance at Poyntz but developers for Bazis EmeraldPark and Tridel HullmarkCentre refused to pay for it. Condo buyers don't buy condo units because they have accessible subway entrances,... they buy them because they have direct subway connections,.... thus, developers won't pay more than they need to.

TTC policy is to eventually make all subway stations accessible,..... but that doesn't mean all entrances will be accessible. When the Yonge subway line was extended to Sheppard in 1974, the TTC did NOT have an handicap accessibility policy and thus the stations were not designed accessible. When the Sheppard STUBway line was opened about 2001,... the TTC had a handicap accessibility policy and all subway stations along the Sheppard STUBway was designed fully accessible,... but not every entrance. At the Sheppard-Yonge interchange station, since they literally shoe-horned the Sheppard STUBway platform on top of the Yonge line Sheppard subway platform (distance from ceiling of Sheppard Stubway platform to road of Yonge-Sheppard intersection is just a couple of feet!),..... integration of elevators between Sheppard STUBway platform and Yonge line Sheppard Subway platform was just engineered to where-ever it was possible,.... thus, going from lower Yonge line to street-level via elevators will usually require 2-3 different elevators and the ability to successfully navigate through a corn field maze!,... since the elevators are placed all spread out,....

5-jpg.85931

Where does this elevator (left of the stairs) lead to?

Where does this elevator (left of the stairs) lead to?

Photo is on P1 Parking level,.... Elevator goes up to Street-level at northwest corner of Yonge & Poyntz which is also EmeraldPark first floor retail level and office lobby level,..... Elevator also goes down to P2 parking level which is same level as new pedestrian subway tunnel to Sheppard-Yonge south TTC entrance at Poyntz-Anndale,.... currently with automatic turnstile,.... obviously, most folks using the elevator will be going between just Street-level and P2/TTC entrance level,.....

Last edited:
Anyone who loves Caribbean food like I do is going to get excited about the soon to be opening Allwyn’s at Emerald Park. They make perfectly spiced and delicious chicken. Their specialty is the jerk chicken sandwich with coleslaw. The heat of the moist jerk chicken, the creamy slaw and amazing coco bun - yum! It's super cheap, too.

Allwayn's.jpg

Attachments

• Allwayn's.jpg
    Allwayn's.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,401
Anyone who loves Caribbean food like I do is going to get excited about the soon to be opening Allwyn’s at Emerald Park. They make perfectly spiced and delicious chicken. Their specialty is the jerk chicken sandwich with coleslaw. The heat of the moist jerk chicken, the creamy slaw and amazing coco bun - yum! It's super cheap, too.

The arrival of Allwyn's was my one and only "scoop" for this forum thread, lol. :cool: Sounds great Lilian. I was about to post (when I saw yours) that walking by this morning I saw a tradesperson installing the street-facing signage for it - it faces Beecroft Rd.

There was some discussion earlier in this thread on sign styles and visibility from the street - this style sign being installed wasn't affixed to the exterior glass, but rather behind the glass, mounted onto overhead drywall in the location (that looks like a duct would be behind it).

The arrival of Allwyn's was my one and only "scoop" for this forum thread, lol. :cool: Sounds great Lilian. I was about to post (when I saw yours) that walking by this morning I saw a tradesperson installing the street-facing signage for it - it faces Beecroft Rd.

There was some discussion earlier in this thread on sign styles and visibility from the street - this style sign being installed wasn't affixed to the exterior glass, but rather behind the glass, mounted onto overhead drywall in the location (that looks like a duct would be behind it).

BucketOfBolts,.... as long as you come up with the "scoop",.... I'll be happy to come up with the photo,... yes, I'm being a,.... what's that last word in the Allwyn's sign,.... ;p

IMG_5104.JPG
IMG_5106.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5104.JPG
    IMG_5104.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,325
  • IMG_5106.JPG
    IMG_5106.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,425
Metro has confirmed that they have not determined a timeline for opening a new grocery store @ Emerald Park. Given this announcement and the time frame that has elapsed, it certainly appears that opening a new store is not a priority for Metro at the moment. In fact I don't expect Metro to be opening as an anchor tenant anytime soon. I suspect that their real estate division acquired the property for strategic reasons. Perhaps as a real estate investment that they may be looking to lease or sell when the right opportunity presents itself. With Wholefoods and the soon to be opening Longos, the competitive landscape for grocery stores @ Yonge & Sheppard may not be economically attractive. Certainly with all the development going on in this area, including the renovations to the Sheppard Center, many retailers may be looking to setup shop in this area and the real estate play by Metro may turn out to be well played.

Tim Hortons became somewhat more official today. They have a "coming soon" sign up, so hopefully they'll actually put stock and staff in the store once they're done building it.

Tim Hortons became somewhat more official today. They have a "coming soon" sign up, so hopefully they'll actually put stock and staff in the store once they're done building it.

Along Yonge Street frontage, first 3 northern stores closest to Sheppard Ave is the new TimHorton store,.... BTW, top left hand corner is part of the over 1.5 year old "LCBO Opening Soon" signage,.... LCBO store completed with shelvings, counters, cooler room, etc,... over a year ago,... but still no stock or staff,....
IMG_5226.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5226.JPG
    IMG_5226.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 2,293
Last edited:
Metro has confirmed that they have not determined a timeline for opening a new grocery store @ Emerald Park. Given this announcement and the time frame that has elapsed, it certainly appears that opening a new store is not a priority for Metro at the moment. In fact I don't expect Metro to be opening as an anchor tenant anytime soon. I suspect that their real estate division acquired the property for strategic reasons. Perhaps as a real estate investment that they may be looking to lease or sell when the right opportunity presents itself. With Wholefoods and the soon to be opening Longos, the competitive landscape for grocery stores @ Yonge & Sheppard may not be economically attractive. Certainly with all the development going on in this area, including the renovations to the Sheppard Center, many retailers may be looking to setup shop in this area and the real estate play by Metro may turn out to be well played.

I'm surprised Metro wasn't able to get out of their contract given how late Bazis was in delivery and how many times Bazis messed up,... wow, Metro really needs better lawyers!

Since the announcement in 2013 of Metro coming to EmeraldPark replacing the bailed Loblaw's T&T, I've posted numerous reason why Metro wouldn't work,... not just due to poorly performing WholeFoodsMarket (their cafe always busy but their supermarket is a different story) and soon to come Longos,.... but mainly due to about 4 existing Metro within 3km radius, former Metro at old HullmarkCentre site never did well especially with the area's changing demographics,... but once the the NewtonBrook Plaza redevelopment was proposed and as it came closer to getting done (support of CityPlanning staff and NorthYorkCommunityCouncil since last year but developer OMB-ing some final details) - the FoodBasics (a division of Metro) at that plaza will likely be converted to a new Metro with Metro getting full say in design (whereas EmeraldPark store was Metro picking up the pieces from a space originally designed for Loblaws T&T),... it's really hard to imagine having 3 Metros along Yonge in NorthYorkCentre,.... Yonge&Sheppard, Yonge&Church, Yonge&Cummer,... choosing the Yonge&Cummer Metro location over Yonge&Sheppard makes sense because it'll push Metro's reach further northward where they don't have any stores,....

Anyways,... for the really important question,.... when is Metro going to open the LCBO store at EmeraldPark!!!!

So I guess the current EmeraldPark anchor store is the PresoTea bubble tea shop! Then EmeraldPark anchor will be TimHorton once they open,... then the LCBO store if they ever open,.... it's all beverage outlets,... thus, EmeraldPark retail is really just one huge watering hole!

The Conarch Group continues to make progress in completing the Tim Hortons. The construction is scheduled to be completed by Nov 22, 2016. The opening of this Tim Hortons will add to the long list of locations within close proximity in the NYCC.

contruction plan.JPG
1.JPG
2.JPG

Attachments

• contruction plan.JPG
    contruction plan.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 2,313
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 2,302
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 2,298
And now the rest of the story. The Poyntz Ave. entrance connection from Emerald Park to the subway is being constructed by Bazis Inc., not the TTC. As part of this development, Bazis removed an existing open TTC stairway entrance and constructed a direct pedestrian entrance, connecting the development and the subway station. The construction of the main development commenced in 2011 and the demolition of the open TTC stairway entrance occurred in 2014.

The delays in completing the tunnel connection are a result of the developer experiencing delays in securing a road occupancy permit from the City to construct the tunnel connection within the Yonge Street right-of-way, slowdowns in construction including installation of conduits within the subway station (work that needs to be scheduled during TTC non-operating hours), and most recently the developer has encountered issues with their consultants regarding the installation of the ventilation damper in place of the open stairway. This damper will form part of the ventilation system for the station.

The developer expects the connection should be open by the end of October 2016. The customer information signs in the station have been updated to show this date. I'll believe an October opening when I see it or new signs will go up stating an early 2017 opening. Good work, Bazis. A 9 month project now taking over 2 years.

TTC is providing support to the developer to help get this entrance open.

Back