Toronto 50 Scollard | 147.62m | 41s | Lanterra | Foster + Partners

Here's a side by side comparison of the new design compared to the original.

3.jpg

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 1,265
As long as they kept those copper panels around the window frames..
It's still better than our "iconic" "spandrelated" balcony buildings :) !

It's becoming extremely frustrating to wait for our major projects to begin construction.

You're going to have to grow a thicker skin. Projects can take years after they are initially announced to go into construction. Always have, probably always will. You may be luckier with this one though: it's a rental, so they can get going whenever everything is in place post-approvals, without having to go through a sales cycle.

You're going to have to grow a thicker skin. Projects can take years after they are initially announced to go into construction. Always have, probably always will. You may be luckier with this one though: it's a rental, so they can get going whenever everything is in place post-approvals, without having to go through a sales cycle.

Indeed - plus sometimes good things await those who are patient - think 1 Bloor East and how it evolved into a far superior proposal over the course of a decade.

AoD

the initial rendering was definitely superior in my opinion. it promised an aesthetic different from the standard Toronto look. sadly, what I see in the updated render is that design "Toronto-ized" to make it cheaper and easier to build AND it loses the columns of larger windows(?) that formed a dynamic design element running up the sides of each massing.

Indeed, the design development phase has seen the change to an envelope that is more of a glazed system - cheaper to construct and definitely more generic looking. Not surprising but certainly a disappointing change.

Agreed. There is still much to like about this project. I too lament the loss of the punched windows, but what I see here still looks elegant.

What goes around comes around, as they say. @biospherian: none of those images are new. You'll find the renderings—which reflect the previous exterior design, not the new one—in our dataBase file, (at least one of them is a crop which I made), and the shot of the model is one that @ProjectEnd made and posted on page three of this thread. Not surprised that mycondopro.ca did not credit images that they took from this site.

"This application proposes a 41-storey (147 metres, including 2-level mechanical penthouse) mixed-use building with commercial and retail uses on the first three floors and residential use above at 48-58 Scollard Street and 1315-1325 Bay Street. A total of 112 residential units, 126 vehicular parking spaces and 148 bicycle parking spaces are proposed. A privately owned publicly-accessible open space (POPS) is proposed at the northeast corner of Bay Street and Scollard Street.

The four designated heritage buildings at 54A-58 Scollard Street and 1315 Bay Street would be altered, moved and integrated into the development. The listed heritage building on the site at 54 Scollard Street would be demolished."

Back