Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

The site will make a great temporary skating rink this coming winter. And then a refreshing urban parkette come springtime.

I don't follow this forum, but got excited when I thought your post was true. If there was ever a hiatus in work here or anywhere, a temporary parkette or rink would be a great addition. And although I love the concept of The One and believe it to be a significantly more attractive project than One Bloor, your post (and the preceding image of the hoarding surrounding a flattened area) also reminded of how unfortunate it is that we don't have a park/plaza at Bloor-Yonge. This is the original Uptown and the nexus of our two busiest subway lines. Not having an open public space here is almost unethical.

I don't follow this forum, but got excited when I thought your post was true. If there was ever a hiatus in work here or anywhere, a temporary parkette or rink would be a great addition. And although I love the concept of The One and believe it to be a significantly more attractive project than One Bloor, your post (and the preceding image of the hoarding surrounding a flattened area) also reminded of how unfortunate it is that we don't have a park/plaza at Bloor-Yonge. This is the original Uptown and the nexus of our two busiest subway lines. Not having an open public space here is almost unethical.

Well, there's the public space in the middle of Yorkville that's really quite lovely, another one beside the library on Yorkville (and a nice little contribution from the Four Seasons beside it), Ramsden Park just up the street, and a couple little parkettes in and around the nieghbourhood, so it's not completely devoid of public space. Obviously, more is always better, and we'll be getting yet a bit more publicly accessible space from this development.

Well, there's the public space in the middle of Yorkville that's really quite lovely, another one beside the library on Yorkville (and a nice little contribution from the Four Seasons beside it), Ramsden Park just up the street, and a couple little parkettes in and around the nieghbourhood, so it's not completely devoid of public space. Obviously, more is always better, and we'll be getting yet a bit more publicly accessible space from this development.

Definitely some great parks/parkettes, and Rosedale Valley, so on the whole the Y+B area is not lacking. I guess I more meant something specific to the intersection and akin to Dundas Square, which is more of a gathering place and outdoor venue with tourist-friendly sightlines. No matter tho, The One should be a great addition. Def one of my favourite new proposals in terms of its boldness.

Definitely some great parks/parkettes, and Rosedale Valley, so on the whole the Y+B area is not lacking. I guess I more meant something specific to the intersection and akin to Dundas Square, which is more of a gathering place and outdoor venue with tourist-friendly sightlines. No matter tho, The One should be a great addition. Def one of my favourite new proposals in terms of its boldness.

Yeah, I hear you. And I think we'll actually wind up with a much more accessible public realm when both southerly corners of Y+B are done. We'll have more public space on both Yonge and Bloor frontages after the One is constructed than we did before with the previous buildings. And then, from yesterday's frontpage story including the new 1BE podium pics, it looks like the northwest corner of that site may open up some new, additional sidewalk space as well.

The best opportunity for a public square at Yonge & Bloor would be to demolish this RBC podium.

Screen shot 2016-08-11 at 12.36.02 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-08-11 at 12.36.02 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-08-11 at 12.36.02 PM.png
    926.4 KB · Views: 1,182
The best opportunity for a public square at Yonge & Bloor would be to demolish this RBC podium.

View attachment 83297

Great call, and it's generally shocking to me that we haven't seen a redevelopment or restoration proposal for that God awful Bay complex. In a few years, the contrast between the quality of both building and public realm between the south and north sides of this corner is going to be truly immense.

The last major reno to the office tower (2003ish?) still has some years left on it. You won't see anything done to the rest as long as The Bay and possibly even the Marriott remain as tenants.

The last major reno to the office tower (2003ish?) still has some years left on it. You won't see anything done to the rest as long as The Bay and possibly even the Marriott remain as tenants.

I've never understood how the Bay makes any money there. It doesn't ever seem busy beyond the ground floor and maybe the restaurant on weekdays. I wouldn't be surprised if it's repartitioned into a smaller Bay/Top Shop/Sak's 5th Avenue at some point in the future (per rumours); and Nordstrom Rack across the street will put some pressure on them pretty quickly to do so.

I've never understood how the Bay makes any money there. It doesn't ever seem busy beyond the ground floor and maybe the restaurant on weekdays. I wouldn't be surprised if it's repartitioned into a smaller Bay/Top Shop/Sak's 5th Avenue at some point in the future (per rumours); and Nordstrom Rack across the street will put some pressure on them pretty quickly to do so.

It was slated to become a Saks 5th Ave at one point, which I thought would be a good fit considering the neighbourhood, but that did not come to be

I don't see Nordstrom Rack as competition for the Bay eventhough this store does have the ambiance of a Winners or Marshals. It's been cluttered and ruffled the times I've been there.

That looks great, but is it only going to look that much taller than 1 bloor? (Acutally now that I think about it 250-300 meters is not much of a difference.)

Back