News   Apr 16, 2024
 113     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.3K     5 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

How recently? It was only several months ago that I used to travel through St. Clair and Warden weekly, and I remember that area being surrounded by forestry and single family homes. Honestly perhaps the least dense areas of the city I frequent.

Not that recently - I'm referring to the townhouses on the NW and NE corners. The overflow lot could certainly turn in an extension of that development.

"Forestry" is a strong word - there is a Woodlot/parkette on the SW corner (Warden Woods)

Of all the ridiculous claims made during the debate, the one that won the Nonsense On Stilts Award for me was the notion that every town/city centre in Toronto except Scarborough had a subway station.

Can any SSE booster (heck, anyone at all) tell me when a subway station was built in East York Town Centre?

Of all the ridiculous claims made during the debate, the one that won the Nonsense On Stilts Award for me was the notion that every town/city centre in Toronto except Scarborough had a subway station.

Can any SSE booster (heck, anyone at all) tell me when a subway station was built in East York Town Centre?

I would be asking the question how much more would of it have cost in the grand scheme to have looped the Eglinton LRT down Laird and up Don Mills? We really do have an issue with the fine details. But hey that's the old black & white Toronto transit planning for you and the reason Scarborough had to fight to remove such absurd transfers.

LRT would have been fine to SCC if that's what were connecting into & not more ridiculously adding a transfer to Sheppard residents with the Sheppard LRT.

Last edited:
I like Brown. But Cho is a real piece of work. What anyone in his riding has seen in him all these years is absolutely beyond me.

In his riding. Quite frankly inertia and name recognition.

He's totally useless. And I know because I've met him several times and my father does work for him. He keeps trying to run for higher office. And I think he's run for all three parties.

Sadly, the PCs simply appointed him. They cancelled the vote for the nomination, the day of.

There is no subway station at East York Town Centre, and there is no plan to run an LRT there, either. This inconvenient fact could be admitted by subway boosters, and would help to create the city building they claim they want. Admitting a shortcoming in an argument doesn't destroy the argument: it is an admission that reality is nuanced and complex. It helps build trust between the speaker and the listener.

There is no subway station at East York Town Centre, and there is no plan to run an LRT there, either. This inconvenient fact could be admitted by subway boosters, and would help to create the city building they claim they want. Admitting a shortcoming in an argument doesn't destroy the argument: it is an admission that reality is nuanced and complex. It helps build trust between the speaker and the listener.

Ya it was a dumb comment I guess if that what you want to hear. But that Politics...The issue with EYC has nothing to do with Scarborough fighting to be effectively integrated. The issues is the City is too short sighted to properly connect important areas. That's not Scarborough's fault and if anything we get it. If you cant connect your centers with respect when it comes to new transit than they are never going to be used as main centers in the future.

East York Civic Centre is only a stone's throw away from Coxwell subway station. And the mall named East York Town Centre is in the direct trajectory of any future DRL subway line.

It's all over now.

At this point the focus should be on the route and the at grade/elevated/tunneled sections and getting the line to STC as cheaply and built as quickly as possible. They should of course use the SRT corridor which would shave at least a billion off the price tag and could be built years faster and with far less disruption than a tunnel.

By using the SRT corridor and yet having no "in between" stations, this does have the dual benefit of a seemless and very fast trip to Kennedy and westward but also means that RER/ST stations at Lawrence East and Ellesmere won't bleed ridership from the subway or vice-versa.

That extra billion {at least} could be used to extend the line further North and/or West. If there is to be no stops between STC and Kennedy then the cheapest method should be used and that means the RT corridor.

I also meant to add that another {besides the huge money savings} of using the SRT corridor is that it would also work in well with an eventual Sheppard East subway. The Sheppard LRT is dead and frankly that's a good thing as it would be neither cheap nor fast. By using the SRT corridor a Sheppard subway could interline from elesmere to STC where is could continue eastbound or simply be short turned. That's saves over a km of subway costs and a massive subway/interchange station needing to be built.

1) Why not save our tax money by running the subway under Midland Avenue? It’s shorter!

2) Is SmartTrack at 7 trains per hour adequate to replace the SRT at Lawrence (40 buses per hour)?

3) After spending over $4 billion, is there equitable TTC service north of the 401 in Scarborough?

4) Will the surface Crosstown LRT on Eglinton East cause traffic jams on Eglinton, Lawrence and St. Clair, killing any invitation for economic development?

The only solid LRT line is still moving forward today. Sheppard and the SLRT were "Band-Aid" solutions. A surface subway can do what the SLRT did only better. As for Sheppard, I have even tried myself to accept the extra transfer pushed on Sheppard residents as long as there was a compromise with the SLRT was being converted to subway. I really would like to avoid another 30 years of debate. But I get that the design on Sheppard was truly unacceptable & divisive. So unfortunately the residents around that line are actually more inconvenienced & more debate is needed.

I also think we are closer to funding the DRL today than yesterday. The sooner Toronto's main transit areas stop attacking areas its own City from growing with fair integration and telling them whats best. The sooner we can all start to lobby, tax appropriately & the quicker the Political fighting will stop and a funding model can be achieved.

LRT, LRT, LRT was the cheapest solution without any thought to fair integration
SUBWAYS, SUWAYS, SUBWAY was the most expensive solution without much thought for toward priority areas

Both very extreme Political plans, both had merits in differing areas of Scarborough and neither plan worked effectively on its own. But if we fund and design a more thought out network of both technologies we are giving the best chance for the City to grow unified. Build it once, build it right or don't build it at all.

'Extra transfer pushed on Sheppard residents'? Nothing is being pushed on them. Relatively speaking, the Sheppard Subway Line is barely used.

The LRT is a great solution for lower density areas. It's not only more affordable, it offers better coverage and access.

When did this debate become political? When a certain former mayor decided to use transit as a vote-getting tool, pretending that LRTs are somehow lesser than subways. The current mayor is unfortunately following the same playbook.

I'm also tired of hearing complaints about having to make transfers. That's how transit works. If I'm at Bathurst & Bloor and want to go to Yonge and Eglinton, I have to take the subway east...then I have to get off the train, walk up a flight of stairs, and get on another train. Kind of like what I have to do when I want to go to STC. The expectation that one should be able to get on a transit vehicle and it should take them wherever they'd like to go is ridiculous.

Transit isn't an entitlement. Infrastructure decisions should be based on need and practicality - in this case, the ridership numbers and density clearly do not justify a subway extension. A quick look at the stats shows that 37% of the people who use the RT (excluding Kennedy) take advantage of stations other than STC. A 6KM subway extension is going to leave those people out in the cold. This is going to make transit in Scarborough worse, not better - all so politicians looking for votes can claim they delivered a subway to the supposedly deprived citizens of Scarborough.

Last edited:
'Extra transfer pushed on Sheppard residents'? Nothing is being pushed on them. Relatively speaking, the Sheppard Subway Line is barely used.

The LRT is a great solution for lower density areas. It's not only more affordable, it offers better coverage and access.

When did this debate become political? When a certain former mayor decided to use transit as a vote-getting tool, pretending that LRTs are somehow lesser than subways. The current mayor is unfortunately following the same playbook.

I'm also tired of hearing complaints about having to make transfers. That's how transit works. If I'm at Bathurst & Bloor and want to go to Yonge and Eglinton, I have to take the subway east...then I have to get off the train, walk up a flight of stairs, and get on another train. Kind of like what I have to do when I want to go to STC. The expectation that one should be able to get on a transit vehicle and it should take them wherever they'd like to go is ridiculous.

Transit isn't an entitlement. Infrastructure decisions should be based on need and practicality - in this case, the ridership numbers and density clearly do not justify a subway extension. A quick look at the stats shows that 37% of the people who use the RT (excluding Kennedy) take advantage of stations other than STC. A 6KM subway extension is going to leave those people out in the cold. This is going to make transit in Scarborough worse, not better - all so politicians looking for votes can claim they deliver a subway to the supposedly deprived citizens of Scarborough.

Cool... I agree LRT is great. Now lets convert the stubway and not inconvenience Scarborough commuters as if they live in a different City from where the entitlements were already gifted. Also its not a "one stop" subway to SCC. Its going to be re-routed & will be great. Don't forget the East West BRT being revised for Centennial College

Its not really about being deprived, because that will change. Its about Integration to what exists & designing a network which doesn't use cost as the only factor. It will take longer but Scarborough is much better off today. And certainly if they fund the Eglinton LRT to UTSC the footprint will be leaving a very good legacy

Lets focus on debating designs and funding and give up this same old LRT vs. Subway technology debate. A compromise has been found and its time to move on & start building.

Last edited:

Where the heck is East York town centre even!? Does that even exist? It sounds like a bad joke. East York doesn't need a town centre.

Back