News   Mar 28, 2024
 391     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 367     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 715     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

PC Candidate and current councillor Cho says he'll fight, if elected, to extend the Scarborough subway to Sheppard (near his riding). Patrick Brown, who opened Cho's campaign office earlier this week says he will support the "original" Scarborough subway that council removed from further consideration.

I honestly believe the original 3-stop proposal has much better value for money than the 1-stop proposal. Of course, given that the cost of the 1-stop proposal has increased 75% over initial estimations, with further cost inflation anticipated, the 3-stop proposal may now be downright unaffordable. The 1-stop extension will cost up to $4.5 Billion and I wouldn't be surprised to see the 3-atop increase to between $6 and $7 Billion.

I honestly believe the original 3-stop proposal has much better value for money than the 1-stop proposal. Of course, given that the cost of the 1-stop proposal has increased 75% over initial estimations, with further cost inflation anticipated, the 3-stop proposal may now be downright unaffordable. The 1-stop extension will cost up to $4.5 Billion and I wouldn't be surprised to see the 3-atop increase to between $6 and $7 Billion.
We could literally be talking about funding the Relief Line to Sheppard at that point.

PC Candidate and current councillor Cho says he'll fight, if elected, to extend the Scarborough subway to Sheppard (near his riding). Patrick Brown, who opened Cho's campaign office earlier this week says he will support the "original" Scarborough subway that council removed from further consideration.

I like Brown. But Cho is a real piece of work. What anyone in his riding has seen in him all these years is absolutely beyond me.

The one stop is basically DONE. Cho & Brown are just playing the Political game asking for the original proposal just because it goes to Sheppard. Whether its a subway on the surface or underground. No one will care as long as it goes to Sheppard. If they can bring some of the route to the surface and take the Midland route. I wouldn't be shocked to see it come in closer to 3-3.5 billion for the entire line to Sheppard with a stop at Lawrence.

I like Brown. But Cho is a real piece of work. What anyone in his riding has seen in him all these years is absolutely beyond me.

I like Brown, as well. He will have a much stronger ground game than Wynne and Horwath and he'll fight incredibly hard to win the GTA. I think he'll have some good candidate's in North York, Etobicoke and Scarborough. My money is that he will lead the Tories to a majority government victory in 2018 and I think he'll run on a heavy subway campaign in Toronto. I expect the Sheppard Subway to be a part of his transit platform.

I like Brown, as well. He will have a much stronger ground game than Wynne and Horwath and he'll fight incredibly hard to win the GTA. I think he'll have some good candidate's in North York, Etobicoke and Scarborough. My money is that he will lead the Tories to a majority government victory in 2018 and I think he'll run on a heavy subway campaign in Toronto. I expect the Sheppard Subway to be a part of his transit platform.

The Ontario Liberals always have tricks even when it seems impossible. If the Ontario Conservatives are joining the transit party the Liberals will likely double down on funding to hold power. Certainly a good sign to see the Cons gets involved in this discussion a bit more. This is very good news for Toronto as we need them to fight it out for our love

The Liberals always have tricks even when it seem impossible. If the Ontario Conservatives are joining the transit party the Liberals will likely double down on funding to hold power.

We'll see. Brown isn't going to take anything for granted. Even when he was campaigning for the PC leadership, he shocked a lot of people. His team will have the best ground game across the province and he'll out campaign Wynne and Horwath. Everyone just figured Christine Elliott was going to easily become the next PC leader. What did Brown do? Brown and his team crafted a better message, he campaigned 12 to 15 hours a day and he reached out to a variety of different community groups. When the vote happened, he won in a landslide.

Brown surprise everyone in 2018, I think. In regards to Toronto transit, I think the Tories will run on a transit platform that includes the Relief Line, Sheppard Subway extension, and the Yonge Subway extension.

Says you. I don't think either plan was as bad as opponents portrayed them to be.

I'd be curious to see if the parking lots around Kennedy and Warden can be freed up for development. Also interested in seeing a new integrated station at SC with GO, inner-city and TTC bus service. Also interested in seeing Keesmat's plans for the area. SCC could be revitalized like MCC or NYCC.

St. Clair and Warden has experienced a significant amount of residential growth recently, and I'm certain a developer would snap up the northern overflow lot. In fact, the whole Warden corridor between St. Clair and Eglinton seems ripe for development with the Crosstown coming in. The caliber of retail in this area has experienced a notable uptick in the last couple of years it seems to me. (Granted there is still a long way to go)

Brown surprise everyone in 2018, I think. In regards to Toronto transit, I think the Tories will run on a transit platform that includes the Relief Line, Sheppard Subway extension, and the Yonge Subway extension.

Which makes me wonder what will happen to all the planned light rail lines such as Hurontario. Tim Hudak wanted to scrap them and substantially water down GO RER plans.

Which makes me wonder what will happen to all the planned light rail lines such as Hurontario. Tim Hudak wanted to scrap them and substantially water down GO RER plans.

The Liberals have notoriously bought off the 905 to get into power. Gas Plants, LRT, yada,.... For the Cons to have any chance they have to support these projects too.

I suspect lines that are heavy into construction will be left alone. Sheppard LRT isn't going to start construction under 2019 so he'll most likely run on a Sheppard Subway plan. Brown doesn't want a repeat of the Eglinton West subway cancellation.

St. Clair and Warden has experienced a significant amount of residential growth recently, and I'm certain a developer would snap up the northern overflow lot. In fact, the whole Warden corridor between St. Clair and Eglinton seems ripe for development with the Crosstown coming in. The caliber of retail in this area has experienced a notable uptick in the last couple of years it seems to me. (Granted there is still a long way to go)

How recently? It was only several months ago that I used to travel through St. Clair and Warden weekly, and I remember that area being surrounded by forestry and single family homes. Honestly perhaps the least dense areas of the city I frequent.

OK so politics has won and I don't at all agree with the subway but then I didn't agree with the LRT either especially since it's cost has soared to near subway levels.

There is some logic in wanting to extend the subway to STC and the high speed of the line will attract riders and help spur development.

What I don't understand is how they can budget $3.2 billion when they don't even know the route or how much {if any} will be tunneled/elevated/at grade. Seeing there is only going to be one station, those 2 consideration will have, by far, the largest impact on the cost of the project. Certainly using the current RT corridor would be the easiest and quickest to build and the most affordable and if there will be no in between station then that certainly has the benefit of Smart Track/RER and the subway not bleeding ridership from each other.

If the budget is $3.2 billion, I'm sure the people of Scarborough would rather have a cost effective way of using the funds and using the savings to extend the line further either north to Sheppard or elevated east to Centennial College.

What I don't understand is how they can budget $3.2 billion

The budget isn't $3.2 Billion. It's $3.4 Billion + $0.130 Billion/year of delay (the project is delayed and we'll have to wait until the TTC puts together a new schedule to know the extent of the delay) + up to 30% cost escalation once detailed design is complete.
when they don't even know the route or how much {if any} will be tunneled/elevated/at grade.

The budget is for completely underground.

OK so politics has won and I don't at all agree with the subway but then I didn't agree with the LRT either especially since it's cost has soared to near subway levels.

It's not yet clear what the costs of the LRT are. Nearly all of the cost escalation we previously saw were due to inflation of the dollar. The TTC has confirmed that they significantly overestimated the construction time necessary for the LRT, and thus the actual costs should be hundreds of millions below the $2.7 Billion previously reported.

Back