News   May 03, 2024
 950     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 578     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 279     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I agree we should build the Scarborough subway by increasing the levy of any overrun to people like Coffey1. We should bill them for the operation cost too.

As for the transit levy, we should just levy everyone 5 times more to pay for all the other projects. It's not fair that property owners in TO are all paying for this dumb subway. Tory and Keesmaat are totally bias people too. They turn a decent 3 stop subway into an one stop sh**way. Shame on them.

Ya screw those Torontonians without connected transit. They should pay for 5 times wanting slight equity. A bunch of selfish pricks.

Since you are being personal with me for some reason? Please explain how much does the surface subway cost to the SLRT? Would this not be an intelligent plan for everyone given the climate. Or is it more fun to call names and beat a dead horse with segregated SLRT over and over?

There are other solutions & id be happy to pay for more if it was an equitable full connected one. Throwing stones & blaming people like me who are trying to find a common ground solution that bring the City together so we don't have another Polarizing Mayor as the Left media riles up their base with chats of a simpleton designed LRT plan only to push an already rejected Transfer City On TORONTO's largest suburb which for the most part is tired of the slanted stories and narratives in the media. Im mean there are even genius's in this forum who actually think STC is full of single family homes & bungalows.

We've seen the cheap segregated plan, weve seen the expensive one stop underground subway plan. Now we need someone who doesn't lean so far to one side of the City to mesh those plans together.

Do you not think its better to compromise or do you want to risk another polarizing election? Just saying this is realty and were on the brink again of it again if middle ground can be found.

Surface SSE, DRL, Eglinton LRT, Sheppard LRT. Will cost slightly more but worth every penny & id be thrilled to pay for it.

Last edited:
Wouldn't this be like North York Centre station? It is the only subway station in Toronto to be built after the line it is on.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the "roughing in" of NYCC involved merely ensuring that the tracks at the proposed station location were flat, so that a station could be built around it at a later date b

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the "roughing in" of NYCC involved merely ensuring that the tracks at the proposed station location were flat, so that a station could be built around it at a later date b

Except that when they were tunneling the Crosstown, they first built headwalls (underground support walls for the station box), which the ATM bored through. It's not a requirement however.

Model.png

I thought roughing it in meant making a bare bones station box.

That's what I assumed in meant to, and is why I put "roughed in" inside of quotation marks.

Now mind that station boxes aren't at all cheap, and could very well make up the majority of station construction costs. You're still digging a deep pit, removing a ton of earth and pouring a ton of concrete. If we're going through all that trouble and expense, we might as well install the station finishes as well.

Do you not think its better to compromise or do you want to risk another polarizing election? Just saying this is realty and were on the brink again of it again if middle ground can be found.

We had a compromise plan - and it was found by Ford & McGuinty. I am quite sure that the connected SRT/ECLRT is now not possible (politically for sure, logically maybe too), so another type of compromise needs to be found. SmartSpur was another compromise, but it required track space that Metrolinxas not willing to give up.

The best I can come up with now is a whole new line from STC direct to downtown.
Here is what I came up with (although it is far from optimized).
I think there is a solution possible. The so-called "subway, subway, subway" crowd has tried to come up with a number of compromises, but they were shot down each time. Some flexibility from the LRT crowd would be required now.

We had a compromise plan - and it was found by Ford & McGuinty. I am quite sure that the connected SRT/ECLRT is now not possible (politically for sure, logically maybe too), so another type of compromise needs to be found. SmartSpur was another compromise, but it required track space that Metrolinxas not willing to give up.

Do you forget the comprised deal included a Sheppard subway? I heard this many times on this board that the "compromise" was just SRT/ECLRT. Just not true. Wishful thinking I guess.

I stick to me preference that this can be easily resolved: In addition to the Sheppard LRT a surface subway to STC is full Eglinton crosstown would be much more effective.

1. The Sheppard transfer to the subway stub is less of a issue as their is a large loop around Scarborough
2. The seamless East-West LRT on Eglinton covers many important neighbourhoods
3. STC is connected on out main transit artery giving it the best chance it can to grow
4. If funding permit the subway can be extended to Sheppard making it even more effective.

Again. This would be a Great plan that would trump all the others and resolve many of the issues. Scarborough compromises on transfers, The left compromises on a subway connection, Funding stretches much further than the current plan. The future would be bright for everyone.

Toronto hasn't done itself any favours with it's approach to LRT.

Nearly all cities that spend big bucks on LRT make sure that the lines are rapid. They have ROW, rail crossing priority, intersection lights that give transit 100% priority and not just preferred, have fewer stations, over/underpasses at busy intersections................in short they are fast.

Toronto with it's LRT down the middle of the road with stops every 3 blocks, trains that still have to wait for cross traffic and left turns, and 50 or 60km/hr maximums. They will certainly be more comfortable, reliable, pleasant, and quieter but no faster than a regular bus in a bus lane.

Toronto spends mega-bucks on LRT which is little more than St.Clair but people want FAST transit like Calgary's CTrain. It too is LRT but light years ahead of TC in terms of speed and reliability.

Not true. Bathurst is lined with highrise and midrise buildings as far south as Eglinton at the very least. Further south lowrise is more dominant, but there are a few more clusters of buildings such as St Clair & Bathurst.
You are wrong

You are wrong

It depends on how liberally you want to use "lined" from Lawrence south to Eglinton and for most of between 401 and Lawrence, Bathurst is indeed flanked by high and midrise buildings. The density of these high and midrise buildings aren't particular high (one or two per block), but they do exist.

Nearly all cities that spend big bucks on LRT make sure that the lines are rapid. They have ROW, rail crossing priority, intersection lights that give transit 100% priority and not just preferred, have fewer stations, over/underpasses at busy intersections................in short they are fast.

Toronto with it's LRT down the middle of the road with stops every 3 blocks, trains that still have to wait for cross traffic and left turns, and 50 or 60km/hr maximums. They will certainly be more comfortable, reliable, pleasant, and quieter but no faster than a regular bus in a bus lane.

Toronto spends mega-bucks on LRT which is little more than St.Clair but people want FAST transit like Calgary's CTrain. It too is LRT but light years ahead of TC in terms of speed and reliability.

The Transit City stops will not be like St. Clair. They will be further apart, almost like the distances on Line 2.

The real problem is with the people who control the traffic signals, Transportation Services. The TTC and Metrolinx have to genuflect before Transportation Services to give them the required transit priority.

There are signs that Toronto is FINALLY getting the message with their approach to Crosstown West proposal, with trench style and under/overpasses throughout big intersections

From the report:

Targeted Grade Separations

upload_2016-6-23_22-23-35-png.79605

Hopefully this approach will be taken with Crosstown East and any future LRT's as well.

Hopefully they will read the line that says the fully grade-separated option has the best benefit / cost ratio.

Something like Finch with 1 transfer stop grade-separated and the rest at-grade, I can understand.
But when 1/2, 2/3 or more is already grade-separated, there is a whole lot of logic to do the whole thing.

Back