News   Apr 16, 2024
 211     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 576     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

At the Public Meeting tonight at City Hall - which had more honchos and more media than the previous ones - Jennifer Keesmaat stated that the sole rationale for the one stop subway was "creating an urban growth centre" at STC - the inference being that no one was claiming that it helps get people get anywhere else.
In contrast, she pointed to the Eglinton East LRT and the combination of east-west bus routes and SmartTrack service connections as the main elements of Scarboro's transit 'network', along with some potential BRT. She also alluded to a study leading to overhaul of the road network, that would create north south roads "with a much more urban form".
She was challenged as to whether this plan would deliver transit equity within Scarboro. She pointed out that 48% of transit ridership stays within Scarboro and the biggest part of this is on the lrt route, so it is the key 'transit avenue' and touches a great part of this need.
- Paul

She has to undo the crappy marketing job of Miller and Giambrone on LRTs. Poor lady!

The Sheppard subway extension out of nowhere to save the day. That would definitely be one heck of a way to complete this saga of transit drama.

Dare I say it, but Sheppard subway makes a heck of a lot more sense than the one-stop Scarborough subway. Depending on alignment and how it crosses the 401, it would only be about 7-8km. Unlike the ridiculous one-stop subway though, you will have stops on Victoria Park, Warden, Birchmount, Agincourt, and depending on alignment, some or all of Midland, Brimley and McCowan. Those are a lot more intersecting bus routes, and a lot more development potential along the entirety of Sheppard East than there ever would be in Scarborough.

If there is proper community planning around this, it is a much better deal than the one-stop subway. I wonder how competitive travel time is for Sheppard->RL from STC is compared to one-stop subway though.

Can't Trudeau just write the City of Toronto a cheque for $20 billion and tell us to go build whatever the fuck we want at this point or what? Lol.

Can't Trudeau just write the City of Toronto a cheque for $20 billion and tell us to go build whatever the fuck we want at this point or what? Lol.
I know the grass is always greener, but I really wish the Federal government had a constitutional stake in transit funding. They would be meddling in our transit plans, but I am sure things would actually finally be funded and built.

Last edited:
Let's say hypothetically we're never going back to any solution, and that SSE is 100% without a doubt going forward. Will people support adding a station at Lawrence then? Yes it costs more money to add a station, no surprises there. But it does make a helluva lot of sense to add one. Lawrence East is very busy. Should we have ditched adding a station at Finch with TYSSE? Should we drop a station at Steeles with YNSE? Should we drop a station at Gerrard with the DRL? The answer to all is obviously no. So I think it only makes sense to add a station at Lawrence with SSE (if we are in fact going through with the project). If we're not going to add a station, then how many future subway projects will also become station-less express lines/extensions?

Fair enough; if the McCowan route is still in place, it is better to add the Lawrence station.

However, we hope now that the surface / Uxbridge Corridor route will be re-activated, to cut on the total costs. In that case, retaining the present Lawrence East station should be fairly easy as it is on surface.

3. Convert the Sheppard LRT plan to a subway extension to Scarborough Town Centre. Smaller (cheaper) stations, shorter more straightforward distance to STC almost entirely under Sheppard Avenue. The Sheppard LRT is fully funded. Move that money and part of the Scarborough subway levy to pay for the difference. Scarborough gets its subway. The Sheppard Line is finally given purpose.

Trading one boondoggle for another does not solve the problem. Try again.

It also now makes an extended Relief Line a Scarborough priority, moving this part of the city from a me too opponent to a let's work together partner.

More likely outcome: "completing the loop" will become the next priority for Scarborough politicos. Exactly the same plan that Rob Ford ran on.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 445
If you consider the cost of keeping the SRT running during constuction, the grand total of the project is $3.2 billion, over $200 million higher than last week's figure.

David Nickle‏@DavidNickle
The report from City Manager Peter Wallace confirms the Scarborough subway will now cost $3.16B at 1 stop; $4.61B at 3 stops.

Is this 3 stop going to Sheppard (i.e. Lawrence East and Sheppard being the extra two stations), or still going to STC (with Lawrence East and Brimley/Danforth being the extra two).

If the latter, how can 2 stations cost $700M each?

If the latter, how can 2 stations cost $700M each?

The Lawrence station has to be ten (yes, ten) stories underground due to the subsurface conditions.

All the TTC is willing to do (this stated at the meeting today) is design the route so there is a "level, straight" section where a station might be achievable some day. Roughing in the headwalls would represent 70% of the cost of the station, so that isn't an option.

Even the cost of fire exits (and ventilation shafts) must be horrific.

- Paul

Back