News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 462     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

What's your opinion on having the 3 stop back with Crosstown East if the Feds pays for 50%?

If we are paying this much, a one stop extension is just unacceptable. The merit of going back to three stops will have to be re-analyzed of course. There must be a better alignment - or if not, a commitment to rezone the lands around the stations. Like put some skin in the game - you want a subway, let's see the utility of the land around subway stations maximized, stable neighbourhoods or no.

AoD

Seen after Tory's press conference:

Money-to-burn.gif

tumblr_inline_naczz5keIn1r3ag0y.gif

tumblr_inline_o7u9djsizN1ru4eii_500.gif

The message being "I'm awesome because I came up with Smarttrack...who cares if we build a white elephant because of it? I'm AWESOME!!!! Now, re-elect me!"

We really need to look into the subway along the existing RT corridor.

If that seems unfeasible, then go back to LRT.

2.9 billion for one stop is insane.

Scarborough hatred and segregation? Don't be so Fording absurd.

With the new even lower subway estimates the LRT is both cheaper and has more riders. Also, the majority in Scarborough are travelling within Scarborough.

Surely, the Scarborough hatred and segregation (if such a silly concept existed) would be shown by those that want to burden it with a subway that fails to stop, rather than a better used LRT!

Part of Coffey's point though (I think) is that the subway without stops is silly. Lawrence East is one of our busiest surface corridors, so it really makes one wonder why a station is omitted. Shortening the line 2km south of Sheppard is debatable as to its 'silliness'. It's also one of our busiest surface corridors, but it's not like we're bypassing it - merely not extending it as far.

Another thing I think Coffey is showing as silly is giving 2km RT-like stop spacing for a commuter rail line, in quintessential suburbia, but at the same time giving an RT line commuter rail-like stop spacing (6km). It's backwards, and there's no way a subway should/could proceed without an inline station at Lawrence.

Another thing that's silly is using a flat TTC fare for GO. It's messing with the modeling for SSE and the DRL. Why didn't we see this with TYSSE and YNSE? Both those lines showed no fare integration in place. One of them is unbuilt, so let's see the numbers showing what fare integration (or fares on par with a subway) can do.

Also, do we have a ridership estimate that includes a Lawrence station (both w/ and w/out GO+RER and its varying scales of fares)?

If you look at both Kipling and Kennedy, the assumption of LRT was already there when those stations were designed. My recollection is that virtually no one foresaw further subway extensions. The Province came along with this dream of creating a transit manufacturing industry in Ontario and needed a flagship implementation of ITCS technology. That overrode the LRT idea.

The other factor that mattered in the early 80's is that borrowing rates were through the roof. Governments were running in the red already. Adding a subway expense just wasn't on.

- Paul

Going to hijack part of your post. Although it's no question that the Prov used TO as a guinea pig for its new technology, I don't think it's as bad as some make it out to be (when viewed in retrospect). When looking at the original (pre-ICTS) TTC plan, what it ended up evolving in terms of service was not unlike what the Prov concocted. At first the line was to be LRT (i.e coupled CLRVs), with one or two at-grade crossings. Later studies revealed that ridership warranted this line to be fully grade-separated. So in other words it would shift away from conventional "LRT" and delve into light metro/subway territory - albeit using hefty and overbuilt vehicles designed with standards for operation in roadways. If the line is to be fully grade-separated, in a way it no longer would require LRVs or CLRVs and it begs the question as to whether there are vehicles that are more optimal.

The Prov IMO got things right, but also arguably got them wrong. I think using a fully grade-separated line was the right move from the outset (as the TTC's studies later concluded); and that using vehicles that are literally lighter, faster, and with higher capacity than conventional LRVs was also the right move. These would look, behave, and feel like subways...but just smaller. Where they got it wrong was using proprietary tech and propulsion. I'm by no means a mechanical engineer, but I do understand the basics of LIM...and it's actually a pretty wicked concept that really does work (when it works). But obviously it was unconventional and problematic - particularly since we were the first city that had it.

So in a way I'd say both the TTC and Prov were both right and wrong in the early 80s. I think this is really important in this debate 35 years later, and shares almost uncanny similarities. If the SRT/SLRT will be fully grade-separated, why the hell are we using hefty/overbuilt Flexity vehicles designed specifically for roadway operation? Almost every article and UTer argues about how optimal and fiscally conscious the conversion from ICTS to LRT is, but is it really? Perhaps compared with a subway, yes. But compared to simply converting the line to simple and (somewhat) standard 21st C 'light metro' rolling stock this doesn't sound very optimal/fiscally wise. One costs ~$1bn, will have lower speed, lower capacity, requires a 3yr shutdown, and uses vehicles designed for operation in roadways. The other costs a fraction, has higher speed, higher capacity, and has a shutdown of a matter of months. Clearly if anything is more optimal and a better use of funds, it'd be the original pre-Transit City plan for the SRT. So why aren't more people speaking about that?

Man, that RER Spur to Scarborough Centre option is looking better and better every day.

Just saying.

haha, I agree in principle. That is, if I thought ST wouldn't so much be a premium service commuter system using 2-storey trains with bathrooms, but rather the "surface subway" it was originally claimed to be. This is why I'm very interested in Montreal's REM plan and am following it closely. It seems pretty clear that it will be light metro rapid transit, while also offering the RER-like benefit to long-haul commuters. And like your STC spur it will also be using rail lines, existing infrastructure, branches...but unlike ST/RER it will be an RT service on par with its subway/metro system. In other words not a mainline heavy rail premium service commuter system.

Part of Coffey's point though (I think) is that the subway without stops is silly. Lawrence East is one of our busiest surface corridors, so it really makes one wonder why a station is omitted. Shortening the line 2km south of Sheppard is debatable as to its 'silliness'. It's also one of our busiest surface corridors, but it's not like we're bypassing it - merely not extending it as far.?

That's indeed correct. That's where the original ridership figure came from. Riders from northern Scarborough converging into the extension at Sheppard while those on Lawrence East would use that one. The 14,000 figure did justify the subway to be extended there, without Smarttrack competing with it.

1-The MOU of merging Eglinton and the SRT looks even better now in retrospect even by burying the line between Don Mills and Kennedy (although elevation would have been perfect). That deal was killed for the wrong reasons...mainly out of spite for the messenger, who had accepted LRT in the SRT corridor and had Scarborough residents finally buy into LRT.

2-You know what made even more sense? Retrofitting the SRT to accommodate the new Skytrain vehicles...those being used by Vancouver and that Montreal is about to use on their brand new line. We could have had that for a fraction of the cost but hey...someone else killed the TTC plan and wanted his own legacy at a higher cost in its place...Transit City

3-Once the option 1 and 2 were finally thrown out the window when the province took control of the file and killed LRT for good, the pricier 3 stop subway was the best we could have received to finally end this farce.

4-But hey, why stop there? Another clown comes along with his Smarttrack fantasy and derails yet again the whole thing by transforming Scarborough Subway into a white elephant by artificially reducing it's ridership and stealing some of it for his pet project...

This is the worse political transit mess I've ever seen...

Now I'm pissed off and my councillor will hear an earful :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
That's my point though... A surface subway built in the 80s, while Kennedy was still being designed (so no costly retrofitting), probably would've costed the same or less than the SRT, especially since you wouldn't need a whole new yard and maintaining a completely different fleet.

Absolutely true. I guess it boils down to - no one at the time saw SRT for what it ended up being.

- Paul

Anyone who is against building the Scarborough subway should also support mothballing the Vaughan subway extension north of Steeles, as it is likely to be far less busy. How much development is being built along that subway extension?
Scarborough Centre at least has a popular shopping mall, a busy bus terminal and numerous condos and office buildings, and the SRT is overcrowded. Vaughan Centre has nothing and the buses there are empty.

So - to be clear, anyone who thinks we shouldn't build a future terrible subway should also advocate closing an existing one? Is that about it, Doc Brown?

Howsabout you look at the residential and job numbers planned for Scarb and the numbers planned for VMC and then rewrite this. It's not even a contest. Maybe a full Scarb subway would have been different but with one stop, we're just comparing the development potential in the two centres; and since there are 4 towers going up in VMC right now, and precisely 0 new units on the books for Scarb....yeah.

scarb.JPG
vmc.JPG

No contest. 12,000+ to ZERO. Right now, yeah, there's not much there but at least Vaughan is trying to leverage the public investment.
Toronto should be embarassed.

Attachments

• scarb.JPG
    scarb.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 571
  • vmc.JPG
    vmc.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 545
At first the line was to be LRT (i.e coupled CLRVs), with one or two at-grade crossings. Later studies revealed that ridership warranted this line to be fully grade-separated. So in other words it would shift away from conventional "LRT" and delve into light metro/subway territory - albeit using hefty and overbuilt vehicles designed with standards for operation in roadways. If the line is to be fully grade-separated, in a way it no longer would require LRVs or CLRVs and it begs the question as to whether there are vehicles that are more optimal.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say, badly. There was never a belief that subway was warranted beyond Kennedy (or Kiping). Something cheaper and smaller was all that was seen to be needed, and LRT was a much more modest technology than it has become.

Almost every article and UTer argues about how optimal and fiscally conscious the conversion from ICTS to LRT is, but is it really? Perhaps compared with a subway, yes. But compared to simply converting the line to simple and (somewhat) standard 21st C 'light metro' rolling stock this doesn't sound very optimal/fiscally wise. One costs ~$1bn, will have lower speed, lower capacity, requires a 3yr shutdown, and uses vehicles designed for operation in roadways. The other costs a fraction, has higher speed, higher capacity, and has a shutdown of a matter of months. Clearly if anything is more optimal and a better use of funds, it'd be the original pre-Transit City plan for the SRT. So why aren't more people speaking about that?

So utterly sensible. But - it's not a subway. I still can't get my head past what might happen if one just handed Scarboro politicians a cheque for the total projected amount for the 3-stop subway, lump sum. You can build the subway, or....you can build the cheaper alternative and spend the remainder on other community improvements (like maybe, even more transit, but other things too). It would put an end to the "unfair treatment" argument, and maybe some constructive uses for the "extra" amount might come to mind that would be money well spent.

- Paul

So - to be clear, anyone who thinks we shouldn't build a future terrible subway should also advocate closing an existing one? Is that about it, Doc Brown?

Howsabout you look at the residential and job numbers planned for Scarb and the numbers planned for VMC and then rewrite this. It's not even a contest. Maybe a full Scarb subway would have been different but with one stop, we're just comparing the development potential in the two centres; and since there are 4 towers going up in VMC right now, and precisely 0 new units on the books for Scarb....yeah.

View attachment 78999View attachment 79000

No contest. 12,000+ to ZERO. Right now, yeah, there's not much there but at least Vaughan is trying to leverage the public investment.
Toronto should be embarassed.

I think he meant to say it should be existing ridership vs projected ridership.

Despite the growth not being high in STC, there's no doubt the ridership exist and justifies rapid transit. Somehow as I vented above, politicians are using Scarborough to pass their pet projects and truly in that regard, Scarborough residents are truly the victims here.

Vaughan as of today does not have the ridership justifyingthe subway going there. I give you the benefit of the doubt about Richmond Hill but good luck convincing anyone that Vaughan subway makes any sense or that York Region have 2 subway corridors is not borderline insanity

haha, I agree in principle. That is, if I thought ST wouldn't so much be a premium service commuter system using 2-storey trains with bathrooms, but rather the "surface subway" it was originally claimed to be. This is why I'm very interested in Montreal's REM plan and am following it closely. It seems pretty clear that it will be light metro rapid transit, while also offering the RER-like benefit to long-haul commuters. And like your STC spur it will also be using rail lines, existing infrastructure, branches...but unlike ST/RER it will be an RT service on par with its subway/metro system. In other words not a mainline heavy rail premium service commuter system.

Smarttrack would have been such a better idea if it was done in the style of Montreal's REM plan, in terms of the type of technology.

Both "smartspur", the eglinton spur and subway like service would have been possible.

A missed opportunity.

The Globe and Mail article says that the Scarborough-Malvern LRT also has cost overruns.

Cost overruns affect all types of rail equally.
The LRT would be done through a P3. The project can cost more than initially planned but once it's contracted, the taxpayer is not on the hook. This subway could be additional overrun if managed by the TTC. Under a P3, any delay will result in a fine to the consortium.

Smarttrack would have been such a better idea if it was done in the style of Montreal's REM plan.

Both "smartspur", the eglinton spur and subway like service would have been possible.

A missed opportunity.
Tory would have to spend a lot of time convincing Metrolinx to build that spur. This isn't something Metrolinx wants at all.

Back