308     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 328     0 

Mississauga Dundas Transportation Master Plan

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The first wave for the Dundas Rapid Transit Line in Mississauga gets underway this month and until 2017 with the Land Use and Transportation Master Plan for all 17 km of Dundas within Mississauga'

The following public meeting will be held in April & May

14 April 2016: Large Landowners and Developers Meeting

10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Living Arts Centre
Bank of Montreal Room
4141 Living Arts Drive

Event Details:
The purpose of the meeting is twofold:
1. For the City to introduce the project and present highlights of work to date, including observations regarding Dundas today, and an overview of how plans for the future of Dundas will be developed; and
2. For developers and large landowners to share their thoughts regarding key issues and opportunities they would like to see the City consider as part of Dundas Connects.

Please RSVP by Friday, April 8th, 2016 at www.dundasconnects.eventbrite.com.

19 April 2016: West End - Public Meeting

4:00 - 6:30 PM
South Common Community Centre
Arbour Green Room
2233 South Millway

Event Details:
In this first round of public meetings, we will introduce Dundas Connects, and seek feedback on what you like/dislike about Dundas, and your vision for the future. The agenda and information shared at all meetings will be the same. Each meeting will start with a 30 minute open house, which will be followed by a 30 minute presentation and 90 minute discussion.

20 April 2016: Credit River - Public Meeting

4:00 - 6:30 PM
University of Toronto Mississauga
Davis Building, Faculty Club
1867 Inner Circle Road

Event Details:
As above.

21 April 2016: Mavis - Public Meeting

1:30 - 4:00 PM
Huron Park Community Centre
Iroquois Room
830 Paisley Boulevard West

Event Details:
As above.

26 April 2016: Cooksville - Public Meeting
6:30 - 9:00 PM
Thornwood Public School
Gymnasium
277 Mississauga Valley Boulevard

Event Details:
As above.

28 April 2016
Dixie - Public Meeting

4:30 - 7:00 PM
St. John's Dixie Anglican Church
Parish Hall
719 Dundas Street East

Good to see this. In order for the Dundas B/LRT to really be effective, the OP and ZBL really need to be changed to reflect the kind of development that should be occurring along that kind of corridor. Particularly east of Hurontario, there's enormous potential. Much like the Queensway discussion we were having in another thread a couple weeks ago.

Haaaaa!!! I started that thread and forgot about it.

This is only for Mississauga and nothing to do with Halton at all.

Not sure where the Toronto section will fit in either of the thread, since it will have to part of of an EA or run in mix traffic like it does today.

Going to be hard to justify an ROW west of Mavis Rd, let alone Mississauga Rd,

Can you give us one good reason why the detour to Sherway Gardens is desirable? Any view on how ridership would compare on a straight shot down Dundas (with commensurate development between Dixie and Etobicoke Creek) ?

- Paul

Can you give us one good reason why the detour to Sherway Gardens is desirable? Any view on how ridership would compare on a straight shot down Dundas (with commensurate development between Dixie and Etobicoke Creek) ?

- Paul

Because the subway extension has to be mutually beneficial for Toronto's needs as well.

That fantasy subway crosses the rail line 5 times. It would likely cost the same as the entire "missing link." Better just to build the missing link and develop regional express rail into Mississauga.

This is a map I came up with:
screenshot-2016-03-21-21-18-03-2-png.70442

*should say: Britannia LRT, Sheppard LRT

This is my preferred plan for Mississauga

Because the subway extension has to be mutually beneficial for Toronto's needs as well.

I haven't heard that getting connected to Sherway is on Toronto's priority list. As noted, the incremental cost just to get from Cloverdale to Sherway and back to Dundas would pay for LRT on the Queensway all the way to Humber Loop.

- Paul

The ultimate Mississauga Dundas Master Plan:
Subway%20to%20Square%20One_zpsyt6jwpwn.png

Yea, no thanks. With the Milton line and the Hurontario LRT right there, both of which benefit Mississauga more than an expensive subway line you propose, I would rather have an LRT to help address the built form on the street along Dundas.

I haven't heard that getting connected to Sherway is on Toronto's priority list. As noted, the incremental cost just to get from Cloverdale to Sherway and back to Dundas would pay for LRT on the Queensway all the way to Humber Loop.

- Paul

It may not be a priority today (because 1.2 million residents in Peel are less important to provide subways to than 300k Vaughan, 200k Richmond Hill and 600k Scarborough residents apparently), but that doesn't mean that at one point, as recently as the Mel Lastman days in fact, the TTC wasn't seriously in the planning stage to extend the subway west:

http://www.blogto.com/city/2013/09/that_time_when_toronto_tried_to_extend_the_subway_west/

201300905-Kipling-2002.jpg
201300905-Kipling-Map-Alt.jpg

Yea, no thanks. With the Milton line and the Hurontario LRT right there, both of which benefit Mississauga more than an expensive subway line you propose, I would rather have an LRT to help address the built form on the street along Dundas.

But you CANNOT build a full LRT from Kipling all the way to Ridgeway though. And if you're compartmentalizing the service area that the 1 Dundas presently covers, you may as well stick with the bus because then at least you're providing a one-seat ride right across town. BRT is always the better option for Dundas because of it's sheer length, the option for branched service such as to South Common and UTM, and the corridor's interregional nature.

Running a parallel subway from only Dixie to Hurontario isn't an egregious overlap of service (we have the 97 Yonge along the YUS line afterall, but they serve different markets of riders). If development is to occur along Dundas East, it will happen irregardless of what mode of transit we build there. But for everyone heading from Square One or Cooksville exclusively to the subway at Kipling/Islington in order to head further into Toronto, it's punishing them not to extend the subway further west. That's where the vast majority of commuters are travelling to and from, not to destinations along Dundas east of Dixie itself. And even building a dozen new condos through this stretch in the future will not change these travel patterns.

Its amassing people want subways that will move less than 50-100,000 riders a day that more costly to build and operate than a LRT or BRT.

Its also amassing people building streetcars/LRT lines that carry less than 5-10,000 a day in place of express buses or BRT.

Mississauga was offer a free the RT same as the SRT from Kipling to Sq One and beyond it in the early 80s and turn it down when there was green and brown land to build it on then.

Having an LRT on Britannia today or 30 years from now is a joke, sorry to say and not one of the 7 LRT line I call for in 2005 at a council meeting.

The Queensway LRT service no one and will not service anyone even when the Queensway get built over the Credit River in the next decade or so.

The LRT on the Lakeshore is one I call for in 2005 and is part of the Peel Master Transit Plan in 2006.

There is no reason why an LRT can't run from Kipling to Ridgeway if all the missing ROW is built for it, considering numbers used in the 2004 EA for the Transitway supported one then even with the wrong numbers. The ROW to Ridgeway was on the 2004 EA plan, but removed due to cost overruns for the current section being built.

Extending the BD {2} line alone Dundas itself is not needed until 2050 or when the blight is redevelop to support the density for one east of Hurontario, but more so east of Dixie. Then only to Hurontario.

Having an LRT/Crosstown line running on Erin Mills to Clarkson is a real joke since the 110 is 90% empty 7 days a week. The 110 has lived up to my expectation even before it hit the road and more. I am on record with City council opposing the 110 extension south of UoM when it was first being proposed.

As much as I love to see an LRT on Dundas now, the best we can see for the next couple of decade is an BRT. Having a BRT in its own ROW west of Hurontario to the 403 is very hard to justify it, let going into Oakville for decades to come until that section is torn down and redevelop to support an ROW in the first place.

Dundas sees about 20,000 riders on weekday and about haft of that on the weekend. More so, bulk of Ridership is between Dixie Rd and Hurontario to the point MT only offer service on Dundas on the weekend between Mavis and Dixie since this is the peak point section.

Having the Finch & Crosstown lines going to the airport is long over due.

Yes TTC has had the subway going to Dixie Rd years ago and that before they lost the rail corridor and having a condo built in front of their line. It was a long range plan that never gotten off the ground even to Cloverdale, let alone the idea to taking it to Sherway.

I do see a branch line for the Crosstown Line running to Sq One, but not for at least 2 decades at the earliest.

Having an BRT on Browns Line/427 from Long Branch to the airport needs to be look at, as its a missing link for Lakeshore riders wanting to get to/from the airport, but it has to run in mix traffic. The only way you can take the BD branch line to the airport is to tunnel with no station between it and Kipling other than the Renforth station.

But you CANNOT build a full LRT from Kipling all the way to Ridgeway though. And if you're compartmentalizing the service area that the 1 Dundas presently covers, you may as well stick with the bus because then at least you're providing a one-seat ride right across town. BRT is always the better option for Dundas because of it's sheer length, the option for branched service such as to South Common and UTM, and the corridor's interregional nature.

My route is actually the Crosstown being extended along the Transitway past Ridgeway, and then down the 403 to provide a connection to the new GO station on the Lakeshore Line that I had hoped would be built around Ford Dr in Oakville, and there is a proposed station in the area. It's purpose for extending that far would be to provide riders from the western part to the GTHA access via GO to Erin Mills parkway where they could catch an express bus to the Meadowvale corporate centre, or to the Airport Corporate Centre without the need for too many transfers. Hopefully, one day the corridor along the 403 could even see development.

Another LRT would be the Harbourfront LRT extending to Port Credit, a RT along Lakeshore is something Mississauga already wants.

And my other recommendation involved a Queensway LRT from Roncesvalles that meets an extended subway line at Sherway Gardens, it would go west on Queensway, north on Dixie and then west on Dundas to Hurontario.

Its amassing people want subways that will move less than 50-100,000 riders a day that more costly to build and operate than a LRT or BRT.

Drum I know you brought that objection to the Crosstown extension up before, my question to you would be, a Crosstown extension on along the 403 would closely resemble the more suburban style lines that Calgary and Edmonton have, what were the ridership figures on those lines when they opened? or even before to have justified them? Surely if they are similar then asking for the Crosstown extension is justified. I've heard that Calgary had lower numbers that Hurontario, granted Hurontario has decent numbers, but how much lower Calgary was, I'm not sure. They have developed good ridership bases.

As for the lines other than the Crosstown and Hurontario, they were more fictional. I was playing around with areas I thought had potential. For example, Britannia has a lot of low density commercial development, a lot of it could be developed into mid-rise office or residential development, hence the reason I chose to mess around with it. Same with most of Queensway in Toronto.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back