Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

This photo of York University station was posted on Twitter today.

CaKdD7kUYAASNkp.jpg_large.jpg

Escalators at Highway 407, leading up to the bus terminal:

CaKgfK4UYAADicm.jpg_large.jpg

Attachments

• CaKdD7kUYAASNkp.jpg_large.jpg
    CaKdD7kUYAASNkp.jpg_large.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 1,532
  • CaKgfK4UYAADicm.jpg_large.jpg
    CaKgfK4UYAADicm.jpg_large.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 1,528
Last edited:
Steve Munro today said TTC has a 4% grade on the Yonge Line https://twitter.com/SwanBoatSteve/status/694572362235252737

I would've thought the steepest portion was underground, leading to and out of York Mills. Regardless, I think with heavy rail one wouldn't want a gradient as steep as 4% in the open air. Not sure, but the leading reason for this might be due to leaves on the tracks and the slippage that it could cause. Perhaps that's a reason why the section between Summerhill and St Clair was decked over post-construction. If you look at roads like Summerhill Ave overtop the subway you can see the railings for bridges that have been buried. This must've occurred well after construction.

With light rail something like 10% is probably acceptable.

What was acceptable in the 50's when the original Yonge line was built isn't necessarily acceptable today.

Except that 4% is still acceptable for the subway today. The TTC allows for up to 5% if necessary, although obviously they prefer to keep it well below that.

Isn't the track between Union and Danforth for go transit 3%?

Not even close. It tops out at 1.06% just east of Coxwell.

I would've thought the steepest portion was underground, leading to and out of York Mills. Regardless, I think with heavy rail one wouldn't want a gradient as steep as 4% in the open air. Not sure, but the leading reason for this might be due to leaves on the tracks and the slippage that it could cause. Perhaps that's a reason why the section between Summerhill and St Clair was decked over post-construction. If you look at roads like Summerhill Ave overtop the subway you can see the railings for bridges that have been buried. This must've occurred well after construction.

Nope, York Mills is long but is a little over 3% IIRC. I do believe that St. Clair is the steepest section of revenue track, with the section between Queen and Dundas a close second.

The tunnels were decked over because the TTC was able to sell the air rights, not because of leaves for 4 weeks a year.

With light rail something like 10% is probably acceptable.

The maximum gradient has to do with the rail-to-wheel interface and the power-to-weight ratio of the equipment. The TTC's Flexities are capable of handling 8% on their own, but would have difficulty beyond that. And considering that most LRVs have fewer powered axles they would be capable of less.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Last edited:
that first pic says it all....door to nowehere......hopefully I'll be wrong and the 407 station will be bustling

I had to look at that pic a couple of times to convince myself they were not building a small airport ;)

Well it will certainly feel like an airport. This station is massive, and yet it will only see a small handful of people per day.

Screen shot 2016-02-12 at 5.25.13 PM.png

Screen shot 2016-02-12 at 5.25.21 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-02-12 at 5.25.13 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-02-12 at 5.25.13 PM.png
    433.3 KB · Views: 767
  • Screen shot 2016-02-12 at 5.25.21 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-02-12 at 5.25.21 PM.png
    314.6 KB · Views: 779
This is the Toronto suburban style subway stations. Just look at Wilson or Downsview station or even stations such as Bayview, Bessarion, Leslie, Don Mills. They are massive and waste a lot of space. These new stations will be empty. The only station that will good usage is York University and maybe Steeled West/Pioneer Village. The other 4 stations will be ghost towns. Wilson got a lot quieter when Downsview opened. Once this extension opens, Downsview will be a ghost town, since it will loose it's most heavy bus route the York Rocket. The new Downsview Park will be a dead station that will surpass the lows of Ellesmere and Bessarion. Maybe it will be as newsworthy as the UPX debacle.

The TTC should sell off the land and close down the huge park and ride and the parking lot it has there and put a neighbourhood there to boost ridership. At least there is land there for developments. The station at 407 is a collossal waste of money to save busses the 5 mins of going into/out of Steeles West station.

This is the Toronto suburban style subway stations. Just look at Wilson or Downsview station or even stations such as Bayview, Bessarion, Leslie, Don Mills. They are massive and waste a lot of space. These new stations will be empty. The only station that will good usage is York University and maybe Steeled West/Pioneer Village. The other 4 stations will be ghost towns. Wilson got a lot quieter when Downsview opened. Once this extension opens, Downsview will be a ghost town, since it will loose it's most heavy bus route the York Rocket. The new Downsview Park will be a dead station that will surpass the lows of Ellesmere and Bessarion. Maybe it will be as newsworthy as the UPX debacle.

The TTC should sell off the land and close down the huge park and ride and the parking lot it has there and put a neighbourhood there to boost ridership. At least there is land there for developments. The station at 407 is a collossal waste of money to save busses the 5 mins of going into/out of Steeles West station.
who approves the size of these stations? and WHY?

Back