News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 895     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 7.4K     9 

Sobeys

Sobey's Front and Princess - Will be 24 Hours..

According to the signs they now have installed on the building, the Sobey's will be 24 hours and have a pharmacy..

From the looks of it, they look to be opening real soon..My guess would be within the month.

They have the front and back signage and awning up, banners on the side of the building, and the shelfs look stocked with dry product.

I'm not aware of an opening date, but the progress on the Front & Princess Sobey's has been fast and furious. The inside is all cleaned out, with drywall inner walls around the perimeter. New delivery ramps at the back and a freshly paved lot. Two big new windows are on the front, and just today they tore out the smaller middle window and started bashing out bricks to make the front doors.

Based on the number of trucks and tradesmen working there 7 days a week, it looks like it won't be long now... probably a few weeks to a month until opening. I can't wait to say goodbye to the horrific nightmare that is the Market Square Dominion...

Sobeys and neighbours

they look to be opening real soon..My guess would be within the month.

For sure... lots of progress every day on the Sobey's, I might even guess they'll be open in less than a month. A week or two, maybe? I like the look so far, but I wish they had continued the grey metal squares across the entire front instead of leaving some brick there -- I like brick, but it sort of looks half-finished. But now I'm just nitpicking. This will be such a vast improvement to the neighbourhood, I can't wait. I think it will be the death of that little Canadian Deli place on Princess, though.

The new Starbucks a few blocks west of there, at Front and Frederick also looks ready to open any day now. All the doo-dads are on the shelves and the staff were getting brainwashed, er, trained earlier this week.

Oh, and that little cafeteria place across the street from the new Sobey's (I think it was called something weird like "The Greenth") went belly up a few weeks ago. I was thinking (wistfully) that this would be a good spot for a Tim Horton's: I know there were some rumours about one opening in the base of the SAS building, but those relevant building permits seem to have disappeared from the building permit website, and there's been no sign of any construction there, at least when I walked by last week. Anyone know if this fell through?

There's a weird rumour going around that Sobey's is also opening on George between Adelaide and Richmond. That would be rather close to the Front Street one. I'll try to confirm this.

Interesting. Maybe their thinking is that Front and Princess is too far for the residents of VU, and King George Square, Spire and me?

I'll happily make the trek from Spire to Sobey's at Front and Princess, if it allows me to avoid Dominion.

Was it because of the rude staff, lack of shopping carts, product not in stock, long check-out lines, or product being sold past it's best-before date?

Was it because of the rude staff, lack of shopping carts, product not in stock, long check-out lines, or product being sold past it's best-before date?

Ah, the joys of the Market Square Dominion. How I will miss being loudly chastised by a cashier for buying 7 items in the 8-items-or-less line (yes, figure that one out). How I will miss dumping my sour milk down the sink every week, 2 days before its best-before date. How I will miss carrying greenish, rotting meat back to the store for a refund several days before its supposed to expire. How I will miss sorting through the bacon to find one package that is not expired by at least several weeks. How I will miss that authentic 1980s Eastern European communism experience of staring longingly at empty shelves, waiting for my favourite products to be restocked, knowing that even if they are, they will likely sell out again before my next visit...

Most of all, I will miss doing all this under large, taunting banners that proclaim "We're Fresh Obsessed!"

Back