Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Grocery stores and "retail monopolies"

• Convenience stores and "retail monopolies"

• Grocery stores, convenience stores, pharmacies, and "retail monopolies"

• Total voters
I can't stand marijauna personally, but having marijauna-flavoured potato chips, ice cream, soup, etc could be an interesting business to get into.
if you can reproduce that flavour without actually including any of the active ingredients of marijuana....you could probably get into that business now.

I am curious to know what you think of the idea of selling marijuana (and related products) in grocery stores.

Marijuana specialty stores are included under "retail monopolies" due to lack of poll options.

You missed the most obvious option (and the only reason I want to keep it around for now) the LCBO. Wynne mentioned it already as well, but it has the pre-existing framework to implement it mush easier. I'd be against Grocery stores, but wouldn't mind maybe pharmacies - behind the counter like prescription meds, to avoid shoplifting, etc. (that's also why I'd be against grocery stores)

Although in general, I don't care how they do it, I just want it made legal, or at least less illegal. Like a fine similar to a speeding ticket.

Although in general, I don't care how they do it, I just want it made legal, or at least less illegal. Like a fine similar to a speeding ticket.

That option is often referred to as decriminalization. The Chretien government talked about decriminalization, but never went anywhere with it, while the Trudeau government has promised legalization.

I can't imagine, though, anyone going the decriminalization route and having licensed/authorized stores selling the product. In the context of a "where should it be sold" conversation, I think you have to assume the product is legal....no?

I can't imagine, though, anyone going the decriminalization route and having licensed/authorized stores selling the product. In the context of a "where should it be sold" conversation, I think you have to assume the product is legal....no?

Absolutely. I think the world has moved forward significantly since the Chretien days, and nobody is pussyfooting around with decriminalization anymore, although there is always some vagueness as to what "decriminalization" means and how far it would go. The Liberals were quite clear in their campaign promises - legalization, at least in terms of possession of marijuana for recreational use. Medical use is already legal in some circumstances, while some activities will likely remain illegal.

Interesting to note that the NDP was murkier in its commitments in this regard. It promised immediate decriminalization, not legalization. Later in the campaign, their commitment evolved towards decriminalization right away, legalization inevitably, but the timing of that second step remained vague (and, IRCC, there was no commitment to achieving it in the NDP's first term if it was elected).

Also, the (in)famous Dutch model is - arguably - closer to decriminalization than legalization.

Apparently there's some treaties we need to get out of first........

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-legalizing-pot-global-treaties-1.3390745
Yep....turns out governing is hard....harder than promise making.

What is that, now, 3 fairly significant planks in the election platform that are delayed by the harsh realities of governing? (1. getting 25k refugees here by year end....2. getting our planes out of the war....3. legalizing pot).....I know that all parties running for office make promises and then deal with them later so this not a partisan "shot"...it just shocks me how easily the electorate takes these things on without critical thinking (again a non-partisan phenomenon)

Apparently there's some treaties we need to get out of first........

Yep....turns out governing is hard....harder than promise making.

This is not a new issue, and has come up before. One of the three treaties apparently actually doesn't actually require the criminalization of marijuana, despite what the briefing note says (or is alleged to say - I haven't read the actual document). And the other two have exceptions that one could drive a truck through. This is an overly conservative (in the cautious, not ideological or political, sense) cover-our-ass memo written by bureaucrats, without a lot of critical analysis by the media Any legislative and regulatory changes instituted by the Liberals in terms of legalizing marijuana for recreational use will also contain nods towards to greater sanctions and penalties for international drug trading, etc., in order to pay lip service to these treaties and, much more importantly, try to give comfort to American interests.

Of all the issues involved in legalization, this treaty issue is a minor one.

You missed the most obvious option (and the only reason I want to keep it around for now) the LCBO. Wynne mentioned it already as well, but it has the pre-existing framework to implement it mush easier. I'd be against Grocery stores, but wouldn't mind maybe pharmacies - behind the counter like prescription meds, to avoid shoplifting, etc. (that's also why I'd be against grocery stores)

I have added two new options. To anyone preferring these new options, please change your vote. In fact, I prefer pharmacies and "retail monopolies."

Back