Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

From today:

upload_2015-7-25_16-23-57.jpeg

AoD

This is what Queens Quay will look like in only a few years!

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-25_16-23-57.jpeg
    upload_2015-7-25_16-23-57.jpeg
    369.1 KB · Views: 1,091
I feel like the trees used along the waterfront near Sugar Beach were much larger than the trees used on Queens Quay and the new portion of the waterfront promenade past George Brown. They always seemed much bigger than your typical newly planted tree in the city, whereas these new trees seem similar in size to the rest that are used elsewhere.

For reference, these were the trees back in 2010, before the opening of Corus Quay:

20100719106.jpg

Photo By Jasonzed

Amazing how well those have grown in the last 5 years though.
upload_2015-7-25_16-24-52-jpeg.51336

Compared to:

upload_2015-7-25_16-25-4-jpeg.51338

From AoD's pic above

Tuscani:

If the promenade won't be open for a year, it would give the trees a bit of time to grow to that point. Save them a bit of money too probably.

AoD

Tuscani:

If the promenade won't be open for a year, it would give the trees a bit of time to grow to that point. Save them a bit of money too probably.

AoD
The guys working on the site told me a few weeks ago that the extension of the promenade east from Sherbourne Common will open "in August". Not sure how well informed they are but WT certainly opened the promenade south of Corus & GBC while the buildings were going up. I guess we will see..... Not sure that having it open or closed will make much difference to the trees or to us but ...

Great news that the waterfront promenade may be open in August. Hopefully it makes walking from Distillery and the West Don Lands to Sugar Beach a little more pleasant. It'll also be great getting closer access to the Parliament Slip. This summer has been great for public realm project openings!

Great news that the waterfront promenade may be open in August. Hopefully it makes walking from Distillery and the West Don Lands to Sugar Beach a little more pleasant. It'll also be great getting closer access to the Parliament Slip. This summer has been great for public realm project openings!

Even if the easterly extension opens (and I am not convinced it will) it will be a dead-end until they finish Bayside (Aqualina etc.). Nice though it will be it will not be short-cut to the West Don Lands and does not yet reach Parliament Slip (which is currently just about fenced-off.)

Fantastic trees. Horrific, inexcusable garbage cans.

It's ridiculous - spending all this money and then having these stupid looking garbage bins.

The guys working on the site told me a few weeks ago that the extension of the promenade east from Sherbourne Common will open "in August". Not sure how well informed they are but WT certainly opened the promenade south of Corus & GBC while the buildings were going up. I guess we will see..... Not sure that having it open or closed will make much difference to the trees or to us but ...

I've sent WT an inquiry on the issue - may hear back from them.

AoD

The garbage can issue is especially galling. Over at Sherbourne Common they had beautiful stainless steel cans, and the City's contractor wouldn't touch them, so they were literally removed and replaced with those ugly monstrosity.

Not sure which is worse - the waste at buying the nice cans that had to be tossed, or the fact that the City's bureaucracy can't wrap its head around emptying something that isn't standard.

Back