2. Oslo
  3. Tokyo
  4. Stockholm
  5. Seoul
  6. Rome
  7. Bangkok
  8. Moscow
  9. Kansai
Quite a bottom of the barrel list of cities eh?
This did remind me of the amazing efficiency and terrible confusion I experienced in Tokyo. In addition to the Narita Express, there is the Kesei Mainline, and the Sky Access/Skyliner which has about 5 different variants, some of which even end up in the subway.

Just going to point out (again) that UP Express is not even an express train. Think of all those poor, dazed travelers getting off at Weston station by mistake because they think there are only two stops on the line.

How is it not an express train? Just because it stops twice doesn't mean it isn't express. Does that mean New York's express subway trains aren't express either, since they also make other stops? No!

Downtown to Pearson in 24 minutes is definitely good enough to call this express.

Just going to point out (again) that UP Express is not even an express train. Think of all those poor, dazed travelers getting off at Weston station by mistake because they think there are only two stops on the line.

Nobody is accidentally getting off at Weston. Almost nobody at all is getting off at Weston.

While there are definite improvements that can be made in wayfinding and other signage the name itself is hardly an issue.
Do you know what cities operate these services?

1. KLIA Ekspres
  2. Flytoget
  3. N'EX
  4. Arlanda Express
  5. A'Rex Express
  6. Leonardo Express
  7. Suvarnabhumi Rail Link
  8. Aeroexpress
  9. Haruka

So? Why can't we do better than those cities?

There is zero, repeat ZERO chance in the 2015 that someone coming to Toronto for work or play from 90% of the world is doing so without doing any research about attractions and transit/mobility.

In fact most would use this crazy new-fangled website called Google to do that research in lieu of their Encyclopedia Brittanica.
Now if you google "Toronto Airport Train" the FIRST link is to upexpress.com where there is abundance of references to UP Express, Union Pearson Express.

Business travellers of which I am one myself have airport codes and names memorized... that's a red herring.

The real issue is the location of the platform; which is actually not in Union Station proper but west across York St. in the Skywalk.
Most people are assuming it's within the station itself (which is understandable) and the wayfinding is proving challenging.

True, although the branding and signage are related. The UP logo is a problem because it doesn't actually include the words "Union" and "Pearson" or "Train" in it. People see a sign that says "UP" and an arrow and don't realize what it means.

There is zero, repeat ZERO chance in the 2015 that someone coming to Toronto for work or play from 90% of the world is doing so without doing any research about attractions and transit/mobility.

In fact most would use this crazy new-fangled website called Google to do that research in lieu of their Encyclopedia Brittanica.
Now if you google "Toronto Airport Train" the FIRST link is to upexpress.com where there is abundance of references to UP Express, Union Pearson Express.

Business travellers of which I am one myself have airport codes and names memorized... that's a red herring.

The real issue is the location of the platform; which is actually not in Union Station proper but west across York St. in the Skywalk.
Most people are assuming it's within the station itself (which is understandable) and the wayfinding is proving challenging.
Very true.

When I spent time in 26 cites in 2012, I knew before hand where I had to go to get transit or trains from the airport or train stations. Some places didn't have the great directions, but it help a lot more than what is at Pearson or Union today.

I used Google to research the city I was heading to on all my legs regardless what I did before leaving home to refresh myself where I had to go upon arrival.

It doesn't matter if you or I or anyone can research what do to do upon arrival. That argument doesn't somehow invalidate the need for clear signage. If someone can research everything that they need to know, does that mean we should just start eliminating signage, or continue to provide confusing signage? After all, people can research the system and learn how to navigate it blindfolded before arrival, right? So whats the point?

It doesn't matter if you or I or anyone can research what do to do upon arrival. That argument doesn't somehow invalidate the need for clear signage. If someone can research everything that they need to know, does that mean we should just start eliminating signage, or continue to provide confusing signage? After all, people can research the system and learn how to navigate it blindfolded before arrival, right? So whats the point?

Haha that cracked me up. Don't mind the excuse makers. We should eliminate all signage because in 2015 everybody should have done research before coming to Union Station.

Haha that cracked me up. Don't mind the excuse makers. We should eliminate all signage because in 2015 everybody should have done research before coming to Union Station.

Since I am (at least one of) the person being identified and mocked as an "excuse maker" and people don't seem capable of (or interested in ) looking at what I actually said...I thought I would look it up and make it easier for you.

While I agree that saying airport in the signage is a good idea....I am not sure this is a huge issue. If not for UP no one would be going to Union to get to the airport anyway....so, presumably, anyone at Union that is trying to get to Pearson is doing so because they heard/read about UP...no?

Is there a large population of people randomly walking around Union that might just see a sign that says "Airport" that would then go to the airport?

Note, I did not say there should be no signage.....note, I did not say people should research it til they can ride it blindfold...note, I did not even say there is not room for improvement.

What I said, in a nutshell, is that I am surprised that it is causing so many so much confusion given its purpose and that any research into the fundamental aspects of it (eg. schedule, fares, etc) would clearly identified it as the UP service and that, then, the signage being heavily UP oriented should ring true with them when they are looking for it. Note, I also said that since that does not seem to be working (inexplicably to me) including the word Airport might be a good idea.

But, if it makes you feel better, continue to write and paraphrase your own version of what I said if it seems to make you happy. I am done with the discussion because I think what I said is clear (perhaps its lack of clarity to you explains confusion over the signs? ;) )

But why add the extra level of abstraction & indirection? Why make it something that they need to Google or remember rather than just saying "Train to Pearson Airport"?

Back