News   Apr 19, 2024
 730     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 641     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

Shouldn't Finch W LRT and the Spadina subway extension help? You take a quick LRT or bus to the subway, then you can take the subway downtown. Same with GO RER on the Georgetown/West corridor.

Yes, that's what I was trying to say - Finch LRT to Spadina is preferable to any of Jane, Kipling, or Islington LRT to Bloor Subway. (I did say "The Finch LRT will definitely improve things." in fact.)

I have not seen ridership stats for Jane versus Kipling or Islington, but my impression is they are all about equally loaded at rush hour. I don't see how changing a very long north-south bus ride on any of those routes to an LRT ride improves access to transit for that part of the city. There is no logical destination other than the B-D subway, and that's still the long way round for many riders. Putting people on RER/Smarttrack at Mount Dennis or Weston, or putting them on ECLRT to go east-west, has much greater value.

Again, the big point is, it's hard to argue that Etobicoke has major unaddressed transit deficiencies by pointing to the lack of north-south railed transit. Once Finch and Eglinton LRT's open and assuming something happens with RER/Smarttrack, there are good connectivities to lots of places.

- Paul

I have not seen ridership stats for Jane versus Kipling or Islington, but my impression is they are all about equally loaded at rush hour.

Our 35 Jane route is one of the most used in the city. In 2012, it moved 44,400 passengers per day. This is slightly more than the 36 Finch West route, which moves 44,000 per day and significantly more than the 85 Sheppard East, which moves 27,100 per day.

The 45 Kipling moves only 18,900 per day and the 37 Islington only 17,000.

Source

Our 35 Jane route is one of the most used in the city. In 2012, it moved 44,400 passengers per day. This is slightly more than the 36 Finch West route, which moves 44,000 per day and significantly more than the 85 Sheppard East, which moves 27,100 per day.

The 45 Kipling moves only 18,900 per day and the 37 Islington only 17,000.

Source

And why Jane was one of the routes selected for Transit City.

David Miller was super prod of Transit City because the LRT lines would serve some of the less fortunate neighbourhoods in Toronto. Jane would intersect a few of them.

Both answers are correct. There is a fairly high correllation between low-income neighbourhoods and off-peak transit use; high off-peak use makes the total day number much higher even if the number of vehicles needed for peak use isn't much higher than usual.

Yes, that's what I was trying to say - Finch LRT to Spadina is preferable to any of Jane, Kipling, or Islington LRT to Bloor Subway. (I did say "The Finch LRT will definitely improve things." in fact.)

I have not seen ridership stats for Jane versus Kipling or Islington, but my impression is they are all about equally loaded at rush hour. I don't see how changing a very long north-south bus ride on any of those routes to an LRT ride improves access to transit for that part of the city. There is no logical destination other than the B-D subway, and that's still the long way round for many riders. Putting people on RER/Smarttrack at Mount Dennis or Weston, or putting them on ECLRT to go east-west, has much greater value.

I think the idea is not that people on Jane are trying to get to the BD-line, but instead that they are trying to get to other locations along Jane. If the goal is to get people from Jane-Finch to the Finance district, then the Finch LRT is the way to do it.

Again, the big point is, it's hard to argue that Etobicoke has major unaddressed transit deficiencies by pointing to the lack of north-south railed transit. Once Finch and Eglinton LRT's open and assuming something happens with RER/Smarttrack, there are good connectivities to lots of places.

- Paul

It seems like, in general, we're building (or have built) a lot of East-West transit but not much North-South. Eglinton, Sheppard (a decade ago), Sheppard East, Finch-West. Jane and Don Mills would have complimented this nicely so that we'd have more of a network and less of a set of appendages to the YUS line.

The Jane LRT always struck me as the most difficult to build. Unless it was meant to be only north of Eglinton.

I think running Jane as a branch of the ECLRT up to Pioneer Village station would work well. South of Eglinton the ROW is too narrow to build it without tunneling. If the TTC finds that branching causes too many operational headaches (especially since Jane would be on-surface and it would connect to the tunneled section of Eglinton) then Mount Dennis would be an okay terminus if GO RER is sufficiently developed. In my railfan fantasy-land I imagine a north-western extension of a complete DRL terminating at Mount Dennis.

Ya I always thought that running the Jane LRT to Mount Dennis station might be a good idea instead of going south to Bloor. It could even be extended into Vaughan to Canada's Wonderland.

I think the idea is not that people on Jane are trying to get to the BD-line, but instead that they are trying to get to other locations along Jane. If the goal is to get people from Jane-Finch to the Finance district, then the Finch LRT is the way to do it.

It seems like, in general, we're building (or have built) a lot of East-West transit but not much North-South. Eglinton, Sheppard (a decade ago), Sheppard East, Finch-West. Jane and Don Mills would have complimented this nicely so that we'd have more of a network and less of a set of appendages to the YUS line.

Can anyone identify which major east-west connections account for the most transfers on and off the Jane bus? One popular destination - Humber River Hospital in Weston - is moving up to the new super-hospital site on Wilson later this year. That will likely pull many of the individual physicians' offices up in that direction also.

I think running Jane as a branch of the ECLRT up to Pioneer Village station would work well.

Agreed. Jogging the south end down Weston/Keele from Mount Dennis to Bloor would tie into the St Clair line, as well as the B-D line. Then, you'd have a real pathway to east-west routes. These roads have their own challenges too, but no worse than Jane south of Eglinton, and not much longer a route.

They cant even build an LRT patch line to the ZOO. We'll certainly never see a subway come even close. But I do believe Sheppard will be extended as a subway to McCowan shortly after the SSE is extended & DRL is on underway.

There was too much talk of Sheppard subway/LRT in another thread (SRT) so I decided to revive this one. I do not think anyone has ever advocated a Sheppard subway be extended anywhere beyond STC or Sheppard/McCowan, depending on the routing of the transit line from the south. Even extending the SRT to the Zoo has never been proposed.

What might be usefull is for the Sheppard subway to be extended from STC to Downsview. Everything is a bang-for-the-buck calculation, so what I want to know is what is the cheapest that the transit line can be built for, and then what are the marginal costs to improve the service.

For the Barrie GO line, I saw options for cost ranging from $150M for elevated to $600M for trenched. Similar numbers for Sheppard would be nice. Then it can be said that yes, we will extend Sheppard, but not the Cadillac version.

The only benefit of a western extension is to connect Yonge Line to Wilson Yard. But the Yonge North Extension will should us to hold a yard in York Region, eliminating the only justification for a western Sheppard extension.

I was just thinking about the Federal government money that was committed to Sheppard.

I think it was around $600M. Has there been any discussion in the media on what's happening with it? It is just sitting in trust until Sheppard is (might be) built in 2022 (could be wrong on that date). Or will the new Federal government quietly re-allocate it due to lobbying from the City (IE to Smart Track)?

Back