Toronto Carmelina Condos | 38.1m | 12s | Tre Memovia | TACT Architecture

Carmelina Condos / Woodbine & Danforth (Tre Memovia, 12 S, TACT Architecture)

It will be interesting to see how well this project does:

http://www.carmelinacondos.com/

The developer - John Magno - was convicted today of manslaughter in connection with the arson fire at his woodbine supply store which claimed the life of one of the arsonists.

The condo is being developed on the site of his former store.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...after-manslaughter-conviction/article2080362/

"The verdict was issued just weeks before a company owned by the Magno family is scheduled to begin construction on a $42-million, 12-storey condominium project at the site of the former building-supply store. “It will revitalize the Danforth,†insisted Mr. Magno, who promised to continue working on the project until the sentencing hearing on Aug. 8."

I missed this when it came out:

A couple of weeks ago, the developer behind this project got 12 years in jail for manslaughter in the arson of the building that was originally at the site, however he is now out on bail, while he appeals.

The signs at the property or the website don't give any indication that the project isn't going ahead. Though I wonder how purchasers feel about doing business with a convicted murderer. I'm surprised he doesn't simply sell the property, and walk away.

Thanks for the link, sterdeus.

I'm about three blocks away from the site and just looked the other day to see if anything has been going on there behind the fencing. I might feel differently if I lived on Moberly, Mendel or Woodbine adjacent to the site, but I really want to see this thing get built. The neighborhood has been changing for the better in the past few years - I mean that in the sense of some vitality and variety beginning to appear, not "gentrification" per se. I'm pretty sure this condo will help accelerate that process, and as the article notes, 10 years of walking by this gaping hole in the Danforth streetscape is a long time.

For what it's worth, there is one of those machines for drilling holes for shoring on site. And they've posted a giant copy of their building permit (for shoring) on the Danforh hoarding. I'll try to snap a photo next time I'm by.

Now up to floor 5. This thing is going to be huge. Sales office on N side of Danforth has model, and it goes surprisingly far south.
I'm still confused why anyone would buy a condo from a guy convicted for murder, when the body of the guy he was convicted of murdering was found where they are building the condo.

May 18th update:

P1060812.jpg

P1060810.jpg

Attachments

• P1060812.jpg
    P1060812.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,156
  • P1060810.jpg
    P1060810.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,189
I noticed today (August 26) that one of the brick-like pieces of concrete on the west side (left one, second from the top) is damaged, perhaps during installation. Looking back, it was visible in the 6th photo from Urbandreamer above. I hope they fix it. It makes it look like they don't care.

In other news, they are slowly doing windows on balconies.

Noticed that a couple of the units looked occupied the other day.

I also noticed a Wikipedia article about the arson and murder that the developers of this project were behind, to get the insurance money from the existing building - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodbine_Supply_fire

I still not sure why anyone would pay hard-earned money to this developer. I'm not so much thinking of the ethics of it ... but who'd trust a developer willing to commit arson and risk murder to have done quality construction that one would invest in?

Still ... life moves on. Hopefully there'll be some decent retail in here.

Back