News   May 01, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 363     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 366     0 

York Mills

Stopped by the lot during my errands today (it was too nice not to go out of my way while driving).

My guess is the house was knocked down because it was threatening to slide down the cliff onto the houses below. It looks to have been built *very* close to (what's now) the edge.

I took some photos, I'll post them in a bit (plus photos of the three heritage properties on the street, and the recently constructed contemporary thing)

I've always found the houses on Hedgewood rather disappointing, compared to nearby streets, anyway.

The houses are pretty brutal (#12 is really rather hideous), but the view (even obstructed by so many trees) is really quite stunning. Beechwood has some real beauties though, including two handsome fieldstone georgians.

The houses are pretty brutal (#12 is really rather hideous), but the view (even obstructed by so many trees) is really quite stunning. Beechwood has some real beauties though, including two handsome fieldstone georgians.

And the one on the north side of the street can be yours for only $2.5M :) I think the bigger and nicer one on the south side was sold last year. I'd trade them both for the Tudor place on Highland just south of Beechwood, though.

Stopped by the lot during my errands today (it was too nice not to go out of my way while driving).

My guess is the house was knocked down because it was threatening to slide down the cliff onto the houses below. It looks to have been built *very* close to (what's now) the edge.

I took some photos, I'll post them in a bit (plus photos of the three heritage properties on the street, and the recently constructed contemporary thing)

I can't wait to see the pics. I'm not familiar with the area, but now I'm most curious.

The empty field on Hedgewood Rd:
PANO10HEDGEWOOD.jpg

The front gate (from the street):
GATE10HEDGEWOOD.jpg

Through the gate (the house would have been sited in the flat clearing to the right of centre):
YARD10HEDGEWOOD.jpg

Back towards the front gate (to the street):
TOSTREET10HEDGEWOOD.jpg

OVERLOOK10HEDGEWOOD.jpg

The Pond, and the head of a path that leads down and around the hillside:
PONDPATH10HEDGEWOOD.jpg

The path as it hugs the hillside:
PATH10HEDGEWOOD.jpg

...and the neighbours:
4 Hedgewood Rd, The Highlands, 1914:
4HEDGEWOOD.jpg

2 Hedgewood Rd, Architect Peter Hamilton, 1974:
2HEDGEWOOD.jpg

1 Hedgewood Rd:
1HEDGEWOOD.jpg

3 Hedgewood Rd:
3HEDGEWOOD.jpg

3BHEDGEWOOD.jpg

20 Hedgewood Rd, Pinewood/Jarvis Residence, 1928:
20HEDGEWOOD.jpg

I went there today too.
It's a truly magical place. Yes, but I think those ruins are maybe from a fountain? Like, the baisin in the left-edge of the field had a basin which resembled a fountain.
Yes. It did seemed to have been built way too close. There's also a stone path I discovered today which wounds farther down the cliff. What to discover there I do not know.

Wow. You certainly put some work into this. And I thank you very much for sharing these pictures. Yes-it is quite the marvelous sight-and the field-well. It just takes my breath away.

Anyways-I'm so glad you have seen it-really makes me giddy that someone else has experienced this. Right, well, thanks a dozen for actually going to check it out and taking pictures.

I hope some day the owner puts it up for sale-although I think that no money can buy his beauty.

Toronto

It's bountiful sites like these which really make me love Toronto-but then after you're stuck in some 2 hour traffic it really goes back to being in the dumps.

Honestly-Toronto isn't the best place to live in. I suffer from severe migranes and get the worst headaches when I'm back home and am not on vacation/work/studying. And the grime and grub around this city is disgusting, there's so many strip malls my eyes are beginning to blur.

And then goes the crime rate and craziness of everyone living here, a lady on my street (Beechwood) was just exported from her household because she suffers from amnesia, they had to strangle this poor woman who wasn't even protesting while I watched.

It's horrendous-I'm afraid if we do not act soon the city is just going to keep falling and falling into worse ranks. And even though we are in such 'debt' why do they put on all those godamn decorations for VALENTINE'S day??? Or Easter???

Honestly! I'm sorry-I just returned from such a long wait 5 minutes from my home only because some damned TTC bus got stuck. Uphill.

The only decent street to live on here is Post Rode. Whenever I go by it is so wonderful, peacful, quite...

...and this field definitly numbs my anger. That is why I am so thankful for it. It is my sanctuary and ever since I have been a child I have found comfort in it.

I swear-in a few years-no matter the money I shall buy that field.

I'm sorry but-how did you get all of this information on this house? I have searched the web for hours but still couldn't find anything.
Could you give me a link?
The bad news is that some information sources are not public. The Toronto MLS system gives historical information regarding properties sold, as well as current listings. It is available only to members of the Toronto Real Estate Board. Land registry records are available online through Teranet, the company that maintains the land registries under contract to the province. It is also resold by Geowarehouse. Both of these websites are available by subscription only.

TKTKTK of course got his info regarding historically designated properties from the City of Toronto's site.

TKTKTK: Good photographs, thanks for posting these.

2 Hedgewood is my place. Or will be someday if I ever make any money. 3 Hedgewood is a Hariri Pontarini and I'll make it the guest house. Both are fabulous. One of my favourite streets in the city. A short walk to the subway, close to the 401 and yet very secluded.

2 Hedgewood is my place. Or will be someday if I ever make any money. 3 Hedgewood is a Hariri Pontarini and I'll make it the guest house. Both are fabulous. One of my favourite streets in the city. A short walk to the subway, close to the 401 and yet very secluded.

I know, right?
I live very nearby but yet I've always wished to live in the more aged homes.
Gives me this 'shivery' feeling inside of going back into history.

I REALLY dislike the new modern house on the end of the street though, totally ruins the whole 'mossy in coloums' look.

The bad news is that some information sources are not public. The Toronto MLS system gives historical information regarding properties sold, as well as current listings. It is available only to members of the Toronto Real Estate Board. Land registry records are available online through Teranet, the company that maintains the land registries under contract to the province. It is also resold by Geowarehouse. Both of these websites are available by subscription only.

TKTKTK of course got his info regarding historically designated properties from the City of Toronto's site.

TKTKTK: Good photographs, thanks for posting these.

Eh. That sucks. Thanks for notifying me thoug.

I know, the photogs were really good.

God, I love this part of the city.

Great photographs! I know of the area, I'm not familiar with it, but it looks just gorgeous. With the lovely park-like setting, it looks more like an English country estate as opposed to just being very large homes on big lots in a city.
I'll have to make a point of visiting one of these days!
:)

Thanks! The photos were fun to take. I really like the pano shot the best, even though the colours are a bit wonky - it has a nice vintage feel to it.

I have to say, after cycling around the York Mills area yesterday, it has to be one of my least favourite sections of the city. I've not seen anywhere where the number of Chipboard Chateaus so predominates, even as you cycle past a solid six in a row, there are three more on the same block being built. All ugly, ostentatious, and cheap looking. Do these people not have eyes?

That's not to say there are no pleasant buildings in York Mills, but I find it hard to swallow signs proclaiming the age of the neighbourhood with the fact that, more than any other neighbourhood in the city, it's residents are such tasteless conformists.

You can almost hear the thoughts in the air as you cycle past - "But the Harrisons rebuilt, and McArthurs, too".

Back