News   May 31, 2024
 1.1K     9 
News   May 31, 2024
 3.8K     2 
News   May 31, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Yonge St south of Bloor: Will it become more upscale?

Yep I've noticed that in general on yonge south of bloor.
I don't don't most of these places will be leased soon but what's going on?

Increased rent rates are driving them out?

You'd think with the massive influx in people living in the area there'd be way more demand in general.

I took a walk recently ... you're right there are at least 12 vacancies at street level. I'm not sure about the upper levels but I think there have always been opportunities there.

There's not much south of Gerrard though - other then the few directly south of TLS.

It'll be interesting to see what stores replace them and when.

This happens whenever there is a downturn in the economy, and you'll see more vacancies soon.
The good news is the great thing about Yonge downtown, is that it continues to evolve and the retail spaces will fill up again once the economy turns around.
The biggest hit to this area (IMO) was the loss of the Uptown and Plaza cinemas. There's hardly anyone on the street after 9 or 10pm as there are very few places to draw people to the area at night now.

huh? There are plenty of people in the street after 9pm?

I mean it's now == crowed summer afternoon but there are still quite a few people.

I think 2 Bloor will "radiate" a few blocks south of Yonge, making the strip a bit more upscale. Similarly, I expect the condo at Yonge & Gerrard to do the same for a few blocks. This would constrict the sketchy area to College and Wellesley.

It's not ............

I'd say there are sketchy things about Yonge and Wellesley. Not directly on the corner, but most of the general stores on Yonge in that area are grungy attracting seedy characters. In particular the stretch in front of the McDonalds by Wellesley.

1 BE is pretty much dead/on hold, so what are they going to do with the lot? Do you think that strip of Yonge will still see some sort of redevelopment? I'd like to see some cute boutiques open up there.

They are waiting for permits from the city before they can proceed.

Was there a change? I thought everything was ready?? They wouldn't have been doing presales if they didn't have a permit, would they?

Back