X - The Condominium (Great Gulf Homes) - Real Estate -

This is silly. There is a huge dining area and a separate bar room on the second floor for use for larger parties. Put the two together and it should be good enough for about 40 people pretty easily.

A small table in the kitchen should be fine for 4 or so people.

Honestly, I've never used a formal dining room with less than 4 people anyway. It always ends up being a kitchen thing because otherwise 25% of the group is MIA (chef is in the kitchen).

This is also a trend in new large homes as well -- dress up the kitchen enough that you can entertain in it.

My alternative is to squeeze 6 around my dinning room table if need be, and if I'm feeding 8 or 10, call the nice folks at ChairMan Mills, whil will bring an 8 or 10 top and a few gilded ballroom chairs to me, and pick them up again the next day, all at very reasonable prices.

No, it's not the same, it's different. Neither better nor worse. Unless his parents are rich rich rich, mikescarborough will have to learn to entertain in different ways.

Really? I mean, he could take his (theoretical) money and buy something that isn't a brand new, $400 psf condo. Like an old apartment uptown or an older condo that has more living space.

Is he decadent for wanting a table to eat at? come on..

Its pretty simple. If the developers won't make proper condos downtown with enough room for a table. Then its time for a condo in North York or something :)

These little matchbox designs are going to grow old, and then lets see how fast people will be able to sell them.

X needs better design. There is no way they can compete with CASA just down the road, that has amazing designs in their condos.

Is he decadent for wanting a table to eat at? come on..
Wanting a table to eat at is fine. All of these new condos, X-Condos included have plenty of space for a small table in the kitchen. In the case of X-Condos, they'll even sell it to you as an upgrade.

But he doesn't want a table. He explicitly rejected the upgrade and cannot come up with an alternative (any 4 seat square table from ikea or similar) that would fit in that location.

He wants a formal dining room table. It's fine to want such a table, but he has declared the condo to be completely unlivable for all Torontonians because he cannot fit a formal dining room table in it.

Well for less money then that X condo, you can get this house 5min away from X over in Riverdale.
Two bedrooms and enough room for a dining room table. Plus no maintance fees.
e8903631.jpg

Anyway the table they offer with the X condo is not what I call a table. It sits next to the island in teh kitchen, and bumbs into the cooking area. That is not a dining area to me.
A dining area needs to be seperate from the cooking area and not ontop of the stove like that.

Now this is how a dining room area should be made and kitchen. See, you have enough room to actually not knock into the stove.

The kitchen has enough room for a table, plus the dining area below. Thats how it should be done.
e7873885.jpg

e7873883.jpg

Of course this condo is in Scarborough and was built during a time when condos where built as real living spaces and not matchboxes.

Who decorated those rooms? George and Weezie Jefferson?

What are price points at X for midsize units, 1+den and 2bdrm?

There are various ways of entertaining in a small space. For instance:

I've held open houses where I've had 30 or 35 people over. I tell them to drop by any time between 12 noon and 5 pm. Some come early, some come mid-day, and some come in the afternoon. Some leave just as others are arriving. There is a front room with the dining table pushed against the wall loaded with sweet and savoury food - and the dining chairs are grouped here and there; the living room has a coffee table and couch and a few chairs; the kitchen has a small table and 4 chairs. People sit, or stand, or mill about as they please. I circulate with wine, filling the glasses but staying sober myself. A lot of work, but fun. I always book the next day off work though! The combination of who arrives at what time, and who they meet, and who they just missed ... are infinite, and part of what makes it fun. I invite different groups of friends from different circles which creates a nice mix.

Plus no maintance fees.

I can see that you've never been the one paying the bills. Homes often have significant maintenance fees both on a monthly basis and one time charges.

The only difference is how it is packaged and presented to the owner (one bulk fee versus several smaller bills not to mention time).

Thats how it should be done.
Should be?

Nobody is forcing people to move into modern condos -- they've chosen it over the alternatives available. Why have they chosen this option -- it's not mind control.

I can see that you've never been the one paying the bills. Homes often have significant maintenance fees both on a monthly basis and one time charges.

The only difference is how it is packaged and presented to the owner (one bulk fee versus several smaller bills not to mention time).

Many maintenance fees use to include hydro, heat, etc. However that is not the case anymore with most condos.
I may not pay the bills right now, but my parents have done up their bills for a month, and it still works out cheaper then paying maintenance fees.

There's a lot more to owning a home than the monthly hydro bills. Maintenance includes everything from fixing the roof every few decades to buying a lawnmower. You factor those into your parent's maintenance fees?

I may not pay the bills right now, but my parents have done up their bills for a month, and it still works out cheaper then paying maintenance fees.

You've forgotten large one time fees and time. Time is actually surprisingly large since it covers snow shoveling, lawn cutting, repairs, etc.

In my case, having a conceierge and amenities on site saves nearly 12 hours per month in travel. The other maintenance used to take an average of about 4 hours per week (10 to 20 hours some weekends for a major repair or cleaning, but only 1 to 2 hours in weekly chores) -- so that is about 25 hours per month in time on average.

Assume $20 per hour (time spent on maintenance could be time spent doing contract work -- adjust for your post tax hourly income) and you quickly get $250 to $500 per month in time alone without considering a single bill.

Many maintenance fees use to include hydro, heat, etc. However that is not the case anymore with most condos.

That is actually a good thing, this way you arent paying for your neighbours to leave their lights, heating and ac on all the time, you just pay for what you use. From what I have heard this usually works out to <50 per. month.

You would also have to pay these fees living in any type of home, directly or indirectly .. someone has to pay the bills

Back