News   Apr 26, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 898     0 

WYSE Meter sub-metering post Bill 66

Arob

Member Bio
Reaction score
What does the community's think about WYSE Meters and hydro sub-metering in general? I'm certainly not an expert, and I find myself wondering if the consumer has ever had choice in this market?

I read here that Ontario PC's Bill 66 further limits the OEB's power to regulate these utility sub-metering enterprises.
https://globalnews.ca/news/5070957/ontario-hydro-consumer-protections/

Earlier this summer, I fell victim to WYSE Meter's shady disconnection scam.
Upon being informed I was delinquent, I overpaid my entire electrical bill online on July 20th.
Regardless, I was disconnected on July 24th, supposedly because it takes longer than four days for them to process an online payment.
And because I didn't call them *wait on hold for forty minutes* to report said payment and make the necessary apologies.
They don't bother double-checking - they just disconnect.
The concierge in my building says 22 units were disconnected that morning.
I'm not sure how many others were paid in full when the disconnection happened .. would this happen if they had competitors? Or any accountability?
In the end, I paid $807 for a $234 bill and a great percentage of that will cover associated (and undeserved) fees and fines.
They offer no refunds or any apologies. The OEB sends you back to them. They have it locked up.

As I said above, I'm not an expert, but this consumer can't help feeling there's a profit motive behind their online payment inefficiencies, and their cruelty is calculated.

Back