News   May 01, 2024
 774     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 261     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 334     0 

Windsor: $1.6B International Bridge connection

This'll be the end of Moroun. He's going to lose a fortune once the new bridge gets built. Who would take the Ambassador Bridge? Local commuters would stick to the tunnel.

They'll still be traffic to the bridge - for example, nurses heading from Windsor to Henry Ford and all the suburban hospitals, or those wanting access to points north. Unfortunately, the new bridge isn't the most direct to I-94 West (DTW, Ann Arbor) or I-96. The old bridge might still save some time, especially that the gap to the 401 is still reduced, and that much, if not most, of the traffic would be diverted.

But it does sink Moroun's dreams of a twinned Ambassador Bridge, and hopefully puts an end to his slumlording on both sides of the river.

This highway extension is indeed excellent news - and I'm sure Windsor could use the work. I like the incorporation of all that parkland, seems like they are trying to minimize the impact of the new roadway as much as they can. Very nice!

$1.6 billion to build this... what was the tab for even the most expensive plan for the Gardiner? If this recession happens, will the Liberals spend more on public works projects and maybe get the ball rolling on solving the Gardiner problem (even if we don't have a consensus that the Gardiner really is a problem)? Maybe they'll make use of some of that equalization money down the road (no pun intended) and soon we'll be building "have-not" projects. Silver lining, I'd say.

They'll still be traffic to the bridge - for example, nurses heading from Windsor to Henry Ford and all the suburban hospitals, or those wanting access to points north. Unfortunately, the new bridge isn't the most direct to I-94 West (DTW, Ann Arbor) or I-96. The old bridge might still save some time, especially that the gap to the 401 is still reduced, and that much, if not most, of the traffic would be diverted.

But it does sink Moroun's dreams of a twinned Ambassador Bridge, and hopefully puts an end to his slumlording on both sides of the river.

I find it odd (or maybe a signal of the kind of laissez-faire private ownership involved) that there's never been plans for an outright Ambassador replacement--after all, it's a bit of an awkward ugly duckling as suspension bridges go, and there was talk a generation ago of replacing New York's ugly-ducklingest suspension, the Williamsburg. I mean, I don't mind (and perhaps even prefer) if the Ambassador stays, but it's the kind of bridge that's practically begging bright ideas for a neato ultra-modern cable-stayed or even mildly Calatravaesque replacement...

Well, the new bridge will be an ultra-modern cable stayed design. I certainly wouldn't support removing the Ambassador Bridge. It's got a lot of history, and it's a landmark in the Detroit/Windsor area. It's even reasonably attractive in its own way.

Now, on the other hand, the bridge that's screaming for a "neato ultra-modern cable-stayed or even mildly Calatravaesque replacement" is the Champlain Bridge.

Jn, you definitely hit the nail on the head. We could have had the Gardiner replaced years ago if only we had a consensus that the highway really is a problem.

It looks like they might have taken some inspiration for this highway from Europe - more often than not, highways run right through densely populated neighborhoods - Windsor may not be so dense, but this is a good idea, and creating landbridges has been something I hope we will adopt here in Toronto or at least the GTA.

p5

Well, the new bridge will be an ultra-modern cable stayed design. I certainly wouldn't support removing the Ambassador Bridge. It's got a lot of history, and it's a landmark in the Detroit/Windsor area. It's even reasonably attractive in its own way.

Now, on the other hand, the bridge that's screaming for a "neato ultra-modern cable-stayed or even mildly Calatravaesque replacement" is the Champlain Bridge.

Jn, you definitely hit the nail on the head. We could have had the Gardiner replaced years ago if only we had a consensus that the highway really is a problem.

When does the announcement come out regarding with bridges design?

Windsor connecting expressway: Does it need to be that expensive?

Everyone: Interesting read on the proposed connecting route to ONT 401 at Windsor-I never realized that traffic in Windsor uses local routes to connect being the busy crossing it is. Another alternative would be a bypass route-primarily for truck traffic-to a bridge placed slightly downriver from central Windsor and Detroit.

Another thing I recall is the proposal to turn one or both tubes of the old rail tunnel between the cities into a truckway alleviating congestion on the two crossings now there-as mentioned a third one is needed there. I feel that a connecting expressway should not have to be that expensive-I wonder what improved rail routes can do in that area also.
LI MIKE

.Another thing I recall is the proposal to turn one or both tubes of the old rail tunnel between the cities into a truckway alleviating congestion on the two crossings now there-as mentioned a third one is needed there.
LI MIKE

Utilizing the old rail tunnel won't solve the problem of not having a freeway across the border.

Isn't that rail tunnel being used by trains?

It's about time to EU-ize NAFTA already. Why is North America so backward anyway??
The last thing we want is to get swallowed up by the United States, which is the only outcome of "EU-izing" North America. Opening our borders means common security, trade, monetary, and who knows what other policies, and that means Washington would be calling the shots. I'd rather live in an independent Canada, thank you very much.

screw $1.6 for Windsor, bury the Gardiner!
Shut up. This is a much more important project than burying the Gardiner (which is functional, if ugly). Toronto isn't the centre of the universe, as much as some people might like to think it is, and other cities do exist in this province, all of whom are just as deserving of government funds for transportation projects.

Meanwhile, let's wrap up the EU/NAFTA talk here and stick to the highway extension / new bridge topic of the thread. EU/NAFTA talk belongs in the politics section...

Shut up. This is a much more important project than burying the Gardiner (which is functional, if ugly). Toronto isn't the centre of the universe, as much as some people might like to think it is, and other cities do exist in this province, all of whom are just as deserving of government funds for transportation projects.

yo buddy chill, go spaz somewhere else. I'm not even from Toronto.... I'm from Barrie.

Back