News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 531     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Will Obama and Harper get along?

Actually, the governments of Nunavut or the Northwest Territories would benefit from any new oil found in the Arctic, not Alberta.

As for Harper being lame, his minority government has actually got quite a bit done. The problem is that the present leadership of the Liberals is lame.

I'd highly disagree... the only way any American would think the Dems are better at handling the economy is if they are under 28 years old (and only have Bill Clinton and George Bush to compare in their adult lives).

As I said before, I don't think Republicans even have a plan for affordable health care. So on this economic issue, a reasonable person of any age would be able to see the Democrats win.

Democrat President Franklin Roosevelt introduced social security to America, Republican Bush tried to gut it. So senior citizens who lived through the Great Depression can see that Democrats win on this issue too.

Okay, it's time to back that statement up. How and when has Harper ever said or indicated that he wants to be an American?

In politics its not what people say, its what they do. Never trust what a politician says.

In politics its not what people say, its what they do.
Okay, I'll bite. What has Harper said that indicates he'd like to be an American?

Of course there are millions of people who would very much like to be an American. There are hundreds of thousands of Mexicans running across the border, and boat people trying to reach Florida, and tens of thousands of refugees trying to enter America, just for the distant chance of becoming an American.

LOL, the boat people? I believe they are called Cubans.
And I believe you're unable to support your statement that Harper has done or said anything indicating that he wants to be an American.

BTW, it's not just Cubans trying to get to America by rickety boats. For example, in 2000, 411 Haitans crammed aboard a 60-foot wooden boat, were intercepted by the US U.S. Coast Guard off the coast of Florida. They were brought ashore in Florida and then all but four were deported back to Haiti. Just ask those folks if they'd like to be American, and I guarantee you they'd jump at the chance.

BTW, it's not just Cubans trying to get to America by rickety boats. For example, in 2000, 411 Haitans crammed aboard a 60-foot wooden boat, were intercepted by the US U.S. Coast Guard off the coast of Florida. They were brought ashore in Florida and then all but four were deported back to Haiti. Just ask those folks if they'd like to be American, and I guarantee you they'd jump at the chance.

don't forget the british, irish, italians, etc.. that came over on boat too back in the day. thems boat peoples too!

I'll make a prediction....

Obama and Harper (or Dion) will have an amicable relationship but not something to write home about.

Canada matters less in the world these days....and even less so to the US, regardless of what we think. An Obama administration will have its hands full with Iraq, Afghanistan, the American economy, energy and food crises, the rise of India and China, etc.

How far down that list do you think Canada is? If it wasn't for Afghanistan, we'd matter very little in this world. We don't give much aid. We contribute little militarily to NATO, the UN or other coalition operations, and we do very little real diplomacy. When Canadians complain about 90 casualties in Afghanistan and yap about peacekeeping, does anyone really think that anyone cares? Pakistan has taken 7 time the casualties fighting fundamentalist insurgents in their own country. The US (for right or wrong) has taken thousands in Iraq. Canada matters only to Canadians. That's reality. Obama is going to be too busy for us. Get ready for that reality.

^Yeah right! Dion is simply not electable to the majority of English Canadians! He may be an intellectual, but his accent simply won't be tolerated in 80% of Canada.

Sad, but true.

(But I'm voting PC, so why do I care?:D)

That's true. Just like the case with Chretien.

Remember him?

Back