News   Apr 26, 2024
 342     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 907     1 

Why the Hate for Mississauga?

Cooool

Member Bio
Reaction score
Why does everyone from Toronto have nothing but bitterness towards Mississauga? In terms of sprawl, is it really so bad that it's worse than Brampton or even Vaughan?

It's got a massive population and is more dense than a city like Calgary.

According to wiki ... which is not much to go by ... Newmarket is more dense then Calgary :)

Density means nothing when looking at an entire city, it's a pointless in most North American cities that aren't built out yet. It makes more sense to compare specific areas.

Anyway, what hate? Maybe formers take out the hate the ROC expresses to Toronto on Mississauga :)

There's a lot to hate regarding Mississauga's past, in terms of planing and the current built form, but they're taking many steps in the right direction and the future looks nothing but positive. Although, the same could be said about Markham currently.

I bet it's Merlin Monroe jealously ;)

I have nothing against Mississauga and anyone that has gripes about built form and sprawl should turn their eyes east to the travesty that is Durham. Now, this place disgusts me!

Vaughan's pretty shite too.

Why does everyone from Toronto have nothing but bitterness towards Mississauga? In terms of sprawl, is it really so bad that it's worse than Brampton or even Vaughan?

Not that it's worse, so much as it was first: Toronto's first true megaburb. Thus, the name "Mississauga" became iconic and generic...

I've never heard anyone say the name "Mississauga" was generic. Maybe the cookie-cutter homes can be generic.

As for the Mississauga hate, the most annoying thing is the "no pedestrians in MCC" line. It's been done to death in this forum.

Oh yea, and I forgot to mention, there are no pedestrians ... not 1 in site ;)

According to wiki ... which is not much to go by ... Newmarket is more dense then Calgary :)

Density means nothing when looking at an entire city, it's a pointless in most North American cities that aren't built out yet. It makes more sense to compare specific areas.

Anyway, what hate? Maybe formers take out the hate the ROC expresses to Toronto on Mississauga :)

There's a lot to hate regarding Mississauga's past, in terms of planing and the current built form, but they're taking many steps in the right direction and the future looks nothing but positive. Although, the same could be said about Markham currently.

I bet it's Merlin Monroe jealously ;)

Don Cherry alone is probably a good enough reason to hate Mississauga, I think. So I don't take the hate personally, because I can empathize.

Isn't the reason why Calgary and Edmonton have such a low denisty rate is because their city limits are massive!!!

Ok, Ive read this board long enough not to join into the fun, so here it goes.
I grew up in Mississauga, and Now live downtown. Ive lived in a big city, a medium sized city, a small town, in the sticks, and Mississauga. I have liked them all, except Mississauga. I describe it as growing up in some depressing industrieal suburb behind the iron curtain in the communist era. I know its not that bad, but the place just sucks the soul out of you. Miles and miles of simmilar houses, strip plazas, cookie cutter schools surrounded by vast brown fields and massive parking lots. A terrable place to raise a family in my opinion. Thank god my parrents moved away, so I never have to go back again!

Ok, so we all have a little dislike for the place we grew up, and I actually like some places south of the QEW. I grew up in the Mississauga built in the 1960's, so the housing stock and the properties are a bit better than what they build now. Anything north of Burnhamthorpe is garbage IMO.

This fourm is full of people who like urban environments, urban built form and genuine cities, the kind we used to build in North America before the war, before we sold our souls to the automobile. Mississauga is post war suburbia at its worst! Some people like having a house on its own piece of property, and enjoy driving everywhere, good for them. But I would bet, that if a lot of those mississauga types grew up in a streetcar suburb place closer to the core, they would question their knee jerk love of Mississauga, and see a better way to live.

OK, end of rant. :)

Wiki again:

Calgary: 726.50 km2
Edmonton: 684.37 km

Toronto: 630 km

So the answer to your question deffinetly seems like a yes ... unless it really is that sparse.

And Montreal ... which people quote is more dense then Toronto (which it is officially) is 365.13 km ... which explains that.

The ultimate example, Vancouver @ 114.67 km.

So you can see this works both ways ... cities like Vancouver and Montreal proper mainly include there dense urban cores and not much of the surroundings.

That's not to say these cities aren't dense ... but it's not fair to compare.

lol Calgary's footprint is about the same as New York City...

Mississauga is post war suburbia at its worst!

Hmm... really? It is interesting that people think this. Even just considering the GTA alone, Mississauga is hardly what I would call the most cookie cutter, sprawled out and car-dependent suburb out there.

And honestly, I don't know any schools in Mississauga that are surrounded by brownfields... that actually sounds kind of dangerous.

Back