News   Apr 30, 2024
 280     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 433     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1K     0 

Why so many washrooms

I do agree that the terrace in that example is absurdly large, but who knows, maybe if families are to move into the city they would require a bit more private outside space? Maybe I'm in the minority, but I feel that balconies and/or terraces large enough to host a barbecue with a few friends is fairly important.

There is definately a convenience factor to multiple bathrooms. But the real reason is shiny bobble. Studies made up in my head prove that people buy things with shiny bobbles. The only thing that sells more than something with a shiny bobble is something with as many shiny bobbles as possible. All pragmatic considerations are subservient to shiny bobbles when making purchase decisions.

There are in my opinion two ways that people decide on a purchase. Most people identify a selection of possible purchase alternatives ranging from one to infinity (depending on their personality). They then choose the best option for them out of that range of one to infinity choices. That is why staging and sales techniques and shiny bobbles work.

The second way people decide on a purchase is by identifying what they want and going to the market to find something that meets their distinct set of criteria. This is the "pragmatic mind" approach. The proportion of the population that purchases this way is a minority, perhaps a very small minority. Sales people hate these kind of people because depending on how strong their set of criteria are they are the most difficult buyers and are least swayed by staging, sales techniques and shiny bobbles.

I overheard an interesting conversation which may explain their popularity. A bunch of students were talking about their living arrangements. They were saying they rent a brand new one bedroom Bay Street condo for $1600 a month. Number of students living in this one bedroom unit? Four.

Yeah. I have one of "those" situations in the unit above me at RoCPII. Sounds like reindeer landing on a roof top all hours of the night. Lots of fun.

I've lived in a number of place in Waterloo so far as a student, here's how many bathrooms/bedrooms they've had

3 bed, 1 bath
4 bed, 1 bath
5 bed, 1 bath + toilet
7 bed, 2 bath

I rarely have problems, usually we didn't even have to work out a schedule, we just happened to take our showers at different times. Living with several room mates like this, I would much rather have the extra space go towards bedrooms or kitchens. A lot of times, we all have our own food and dishes, which means we need a lot of space to store it, and sometimes 2 fridges, plus it would be nice to have space to eat in the kitchen, in some cases, there wasn't really any space for that. Having decently large bedrooms is a plus too, it's the only private space we have. I was lucky to pick my bedroom before the others (and picked the biggest), others can be quite small.

I've lived in a number of place in Waterloo so far as a student, here's how many bathrooms/bedrooms they've had

3 bed, 1 bath
4 bed, 1 bath
5 bed, 1 bath + toilet
7 bed, 2 bath

I rarely have problems, usually we didn't even have to work out a schedule, we just happened to take our showers at different times. Living with several room mates like this, I would much rather have the extra space go towards bedrooms or kitchens. A lot of times, we all have our own food and dishes, which means we need a lot of space to store it, and sometimes 2 fridges, plus it would be nice to have space to eat in the kitchen, in some cases, there wasn't really any space for that. Having decently large bedrooms is a plus too, it's the only private space we have. I was lucky to pick my bedroom before the others (and picked the biggest), others can be quite small.

And now most of the new large student towers going up in Waterloo have 5 bedrooms + 5 bathrooms!

On the other hand, that rarely used bathroom in my basement is an excellent place to put the litterbox. Hmm, used to have a 2-story apartment once with a small bathroom near the entrance ... another great place to put the litterbox!

Perhaps too many cat lovers in condos? :)

Back