News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 352     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 914     1 

Why do we choose dark coat colours for winter?

I know. I haven't always been single. Alas, I have a bad habit of always falling in love with a psycho so I've gone solo. Only piss myself off these days. ;)
Ha. My wife asked me recently, if she died, would I remarry. Perhaps I answered too quickly, but I said, oh no.....never again. Ehem, you’re the only girl for me.

It's more a question of fashion, really. I love black clothes but summer is a bit difficult to dress in so it's only winter.

I just don't get it at all. It would be logical to wear bright colours to be more visible in winter, when we have so many more hours of darkness. Also purely aesthetically to push against all the grey dullness the city is awash in.

I just don't get it at all. It would be logical to wear bright colours to be more visible in winter, when we have so many more hours of darkness. Also purely aesthetically to push against all the grey dullness the city is awash in.
That, and the dark colours show all the salt, slop and mung that comes with winter, particularly in the city.

I personally like wearing black, 😎 but for safety during the night, my favorite jacket is reversible from black to orange. Let me try to explain why wearing black helps me get warmer - On hot, sunny days, the sun gives off light and heat rays. Light colored clothes reflect most light we see, absorbing less heat. Dark clothes take in more rays and heat, feeling warmer. But the absorbed heat doesn't always transfer to the wearer's body. So darker clothes don't automatically make you hotter - other factors affect it too.

From today’s NYT.

IMG_2830.png
IMG_2831.png

Good NYTimes article. Thanks for posting. Very interesting. Maybe Nike and lululemon should make construction type vests. All active wear should be reflective.
I'm not exactly sure how you came to that conclusion from the article. Reflective clothing and accessories are widely available - so are flashlights.

I'm not exactly sure how you came to that conclusion from the article. Reflective clothing and accessories are widely available - so are flashlights.
There were so many points and counterpoints to the story. I was just trying to come up with my own solution to increase the usage of hi viz clothing. Speed and visibility are the key factors in my opinion. Fixed infrastructure, increased cars and pedestrians doesn’t help. Pedestrians can’t control the speed of others so improve your visibility for a fighting chance.

Visiting Trondheim, Norway one winter many years ago. In darkness I recall most pedestrians wearing reflective ankle bands (as worn on bikes).

Back