News   Apr 26, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 443     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Which would you choose: Sheppard Subway or Eglinton LRT?

sheppard or eglinton?

• Total voters
You can literally walk faster than the buses on Eglinton on the central stretches at some times of day. I dare anybody to take the 32 bus between the two subway stations during rush hour and tell me that something doesn't need to be done. If they're running in convoys, and they usually are, it's faster to go south and take the 512 across then back north again. .

Might be unbelieveable but living at Eglinton West I have walked many times towards and often past Yonge and Eglinton. During rush hour I have outwalked the bus more then a handful of times from EG WEST to Yonge EGLINTON. Thats a FACT.

Might be unbelieveable but living at Eglinton West I have walked many times towards and often past Yonge and Eglinton. During rush hour I have outwalked the bus more then a handful of times from EG WEST to Yonge EGLINTON. Thats a FACT.

eglinton can be insanely slow. it's even worse with wheeltrans. you get this feeling of being trapped.

So what are we going for? A Shep subway that serves only North York and S'Boro (maybe York Region folks, indirectly), or an Eglinton LRT that could potentially cater all the way from Sauga to Durham? Sheppard should be subway, at least aesthetically. But from my experience, there seems to be not too much difference in time interval by subway or "LRT". It's hardly packed full (except peak hours), and I think it can do well even at-surface level as wel, even throughout entire Sheppard Ave. And I hardly bother going there anyways.

ECLRT, OTOH, is a must (though I wished that it would carry much of the original span from Renforth, to potentially along HWY 2 corridor). I can't get to Midtown TO due to lack of choices (reliable and fast, in a way) from SQ1 to Y&E. GO Transit has just gone god awful recently and detouring via B&D is too much time consuming. And it's good to hear that most of the segment being planned to built are underground, a plus in asset.

Given my experience in summary, I'd say Eglinton first. Downgrade Sheppard Subway to LRT form and expand to Scarborough and Etobicoke. It's not about what's on road or underground; it's capacity as a priority. If any new subway lines are to be built, DRL, expanding BD through McCowan and Sherway is the best bet.

Then again, all LRTs should have its own complete ROW, and better to be grade-separated. Its still "subway" by that standard.

I'd choose neither...DRL, Yonge, and Danforth to STC are all more important.

If forced to choose between an 8km extension on Sheppard or 30+km of grade-separated transit on Eglinton, well, that's not even a choice. Obviously, you pick 30+km on Eglinton. Would you rather win $8 million in the lottery or $30 million?

It'd be more of a fight it was just 8km on Eglinton, or if Eglinton already had a stubway and we were thinking about extending it (ridership will be very spotty near the ends of Eglinton). In the short term, the traffic on Eglinton between, oh, Yonge and Dufferin trumps the greater crosstown travel needs that exist along Sheppard.

But Miller made Sheppard his priority, so Ford made it his, too. The current transit mess would be playing out differently if Miller had targeted a corridor like Finch West as the first priority.

I'd choose neither...DRL, Yonge, and Danforth to STC are all more important.

If forced to choose between an 8km extension on Sheppard or 30+km of grade-separated transit on Eglinton, well, that's not even a choice. Obviously, you pick 30+km on Eglinton. Would you rather win $8 million in the lottery or $30 million?

It'd be more of a fight it was just 8km on Eglinton, or if Eglinton already had a stubway and we were thinking about extending it (ridership will be very spotty near the ends of Eglinton). In the short term, the traffic on Eglinton between, oh, Yonge and Dufferin trumps the greater crosstown travel needs that exist along Sheppard.

But Miller made Sheppard his priority, so Ford made it his, too. The current transit mess would be playing out differently if Miller had targeted a corridor like Finch West as the first priority.

Couldn't agree more. But the funding is where it is, the work's been done where it's been done. Let's get shovels (or TBMs) in the ground now. The DRTES will be done shortly, then we can all unify and advocate for the DRL. But until then, no sense holding our breath (and the budget) for a line that is at least 2 years away from even beginning preliminary engineering.

Sheppard and Eglinton are both gridlocked at rush hour, and have similar levels of trip generators, so rush hour ridership would be similar. However, outside of rush hour, Sheppard is fairly fast to drive on, whereas Eglinton is still very slow.

Any underground transit on Eglinton would have great ridership all day round because it would provide by far the best transportation option in the corridor. However, outside of rush hour, a Sheppard Subway would have difficulty competing with the private automobile. Add on the multitude of shops and miscellaneous little trip generators on Eglinton, and it comes out as an all around winner.

My wife and I had an appointment in Pickering this PM and mindful of this choice we drove out there on Sheppard and home on Eglinton between 1:00 and 3:30. We asked each other where the hell was the traffic? To be fair I think it is usually heavier but not so heavy that the existing bus service is not adequate.

A higher order of transit will certainly be more efficient during the 4 or 5 hour peak periods but the larger vehicles will be grossly oversized for the other 16 hours even if headways are doubled which I am sure will not be described as an improved service.

Oops. I read the poll wrong. Between Sheppard and Eglinton, I would most certainly choose Eglinton LRT over Sheppard subway.

Can the mods please change my vote? Thanks!

Last edited:
Oops. I read the poll wrong. Between Sheppard and Eglinton, I would most certainly choose Eglinton LRT over Sheppard subway.

Can the mods please change my vote? Thanks!

Sorry, but you're stuck where you are. The mods don't have the power to rig a vote. :)

that's two votes that are errors. kEiThZ & Second_in_pie.

we're gonna have to pretend:

-2 extend sheppard subway to STC

+2 build eglinton crosstown LRT

I second what scarberian had to say though.

If I really had to pick priorities, I would do the SRT first. It's crumbling and must be replaced. Get the subway work started so that the SRT can be kept running while construction is on. Next priority would be the DRL. Then Yonge North....just look at Finch station today. Then Eglinton and then Sheppard.

Boggles the mind why Miller chose Sheppard first. I still think that had more to do with ideology and politics than anything else.

I second what scarberian had to say though.

If I really had to pick priorities, I would do the SRT first. It's crumbling and must be replaced. Get the subway work started so that the SRT can be kept running while construction is on. Next priority would be the DRL. Then Yonge North....just look at Finch station today. Then Eglinton and then Sheppard.

Boggles the mind why Miller chose Sheppard first. I still think that had more to do with ideology and politics than anything else.

No reason we can't build Eglinton at the same time though. Realistically, scrapping the SELRT (even with the cancellation fees) will still leave enough money to finish B-D to STC. The DRL won't be at the requesting funding stage for another couple of years, which means it should be right in the wheelhouse for the second round of funding (assuming it comes). No sense in delaying funds that are ready now for a project that won't be able to use those funds for another few years at least. I'm pretty confident that the funding will be there when the DRL comes around. Whether or not funding will need to be taken from other Phase 2 projects (ie Eglinton West and Finch Central) remains to be seen.

that's two votes that are errors. kEiThZ & Second_in_pie.

we're gonna have to pretend:

-2 extend sheppard subway to STC

+2 build eglinton crosstown LRT

Realistically, I think the pole is pretty lop-sided anyway. It's not exactly the 2000 Bush-Gore Florida vote, haha.

just an opinion here, i think if we build eglinton, there will be no choice but to build a DRL after it. but if we build the DRL first, the DRL doesn't put pressure to build eglinton. eglinton will add to the reasons to build the DRL but i don't think building the DRL will add to the reasons to build eglinton. doing eglinton first will give us the greatest chance of having both in the near future.

Realistically, I think the pole is pretty lop-sided anyway. It's not exactly the 2000 Bush-Gore Florida vote, haha.

every vote counts :)

Back