Which rust belt city do you like best or most like to visit?

Discussion in 'Buildings, Architecture & Infrastructure' started by King of Kensington, Aug 14, 2016.

?

Favorite rust belt city

1. Cleveland

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Detroit

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Pittsburgh

10 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. King of Kensington

King of Kensington Senior Member

Porter Airlines recently added Pittsburgh to its destinations, a city I have not been to.

For those with an interest in old rust belt cities (architecture, cultural amenities etc.), which is your favorite if you've been or are most interested in visiting if you haven't, between Cleveland, Detroit and Pittsburgh.

2. wild goose chase

wild goose chase Active Member

Cleveland seems to have a thriving arts scene (museums, music etc.) which seems kind of neat. Don't have a strong impression of Pittsburgh as I've never been there before either.

Looking up Porter Airlines' destinations, I'm also surprised that Pittsburgh was chosen as a destination before many other US cities.
    I can see Porter's American destinations correspond roughly to the range of big cities Canadians might have business ties to (Chicago, Boston, DC, Jersey), plus Canadians' favored vacation spots for beaches and summer (Florida, South Carolina) as well as skiing for Vermont.

3. gabe

gabe Senior Member

Pittsburgh has a thriving art scene too. It's home to the Andy Warhol Museum, Carnegie Museum of Art, and several other contemporary art galleries.

Pittsburgh also has one of the nicest ball parks in MLB.

PNC Park.

[​IMG]

4. wild goose chase

Looking at Pittsburgh's location on a map again and its proximity to (some even argue location within) Appalachia, including nearby West Virginia, I'm again reminded about how surprised I was when I first realized Southern Ontario's relatively short distance to what's considered the US South.

5. King of Kensington

Western Pennsylvania is often referred to as "Pennsyltucky."

6. wild goose chase

Oh right, for some reason I'd not realized (or forgot at some point) that Carnegie Mellon is in Pittsburgh, but yeah come to think of it, Pittsburgh still does have a lot going for it.

7. King of Kensington

Pittsburgh has been much more successful in terms of revitalization compared to Detroit and Cleveland. It has three universities and more of the urban core intact.

AlvinofDiaspar likes this.
  8. AndreaPalladio

AndreaPalladio Senior Member

And even closer to the Mississippi river system, one branch of which, the Allegheny, is not far south of Buffalo.

9. AlbertC

AlbertC Senior Member

Pittsburgh from the 3 options mentioned. I'm actually also quite interested in the older built form of Cincinnati.

10. shumoon

shumoon New Member

Pittsburgh has interesting topography too. Hills and valleys throughout.
    While Cleveland has a great lake, so does Toronto. Detroit's big feature is its strait, from which you can see Windsor.