302     0 

When do you merge in a merging lane?

When do you merge in a merging lane?

• As early as you can.

Votes: 40 63.5%
  • At the end of the merge lane.

Votes: 23 36.5%

• Total voters
Most of the time, I am glad for the long merge/acceleration lanes we have here in Ontario. There's nothing like trying to get on Interstate 95 anywhere in the Northeast and faced with the end of the ramp with a yield sign. That's always fun to try to merge into.

hmmm based on the Ontario Highway Traffic Act ( http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h08_e.htm#BK216 )

Right of way on entering highway from private road
139. (1) Every driver or street car operator entering a highway from a private road or driveway shall yield the right of way to all traffic approaching on the highway so closely that to enter would constitute an immediate hazard. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 139 (1).

That being said, I merge whenever it is safe to do so.

As for permitting users to merge into the lane that I'm in, same principle applies, if it is safe to do so, I will let you in.

In the Highway Traffic Act (HTA), highway refers to any road or street. This section of the HTA applies to vehicles entering any roadway from a driveway or private (i.e. store) road.

I found this on the MTO website (http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/section6.4.0.shtml). It does not say much to solve this topic and it does not make any references to the HTA.

You should go as soon as possible. That way I can pass you and merge at the end where everyone should. :)

I love the people who merge early onto Highway 401 so they could immediately cut across the 3-4 Collector lanes and transfer into the Express lanes

So I was having a discussion with a couple of people in Toronto as well as in Montreal about when one should merge into the highway when you're in a merging lane that ends. The assumption in our discussion is that we are considering the situation in full rush hour traffic. When traffic is free-flowing on the highway, it is obvious that one should merge as soon as it is safe to do so, so as to avoid disrupting the existing steady slow of traffic. In congested traffic, is it still prudent to merge as early as you can? Or would it be more efficient to merge at the end of the merge lane?

Traditionally, the thought is to merge as soon as you can, in other words, at the beginning or in the middle of the crawling traffic. Would this not be rather random and because of the nature of drivers, once you merge, other drivers behind you in the merging lane would scoot around and merge in farther up ahead, creating now a 2:1 new car ratio (i.e. 2 cars in for every 1 existing car) or more likely a 3:1, 4:1, etc. ratio? This would create an exponentially increasing backlog in the merged lane versus sticking with a 1:1 ratio, which I'll describe below.

Would it be more effective for everyone to simply alternately merge at the end of the merge lane? It would essentially be a 1:1 new car to existing car ratio. Mathematically, it'd be twice as slow as normal traffic (plus some slowdown due to adjusting for a new car in the lane). Would this not be more efficient?

Mathematically, merging late when the lanes are full is best for both the merger and mergee. It does come down to a 1:1 turn-taking situation.

If people merge early, it tips the balance towards the merging lane. Early merging cars are essentially merging before they would in the 1:1 ratio, and others will go past them to merge at the end of the lane anyway. The mergee lane will go slower, and the merging lane faster.

Which is why I usually choose to be in the merging lane if I have a choice when highways join together.

I love the people who merge early onto Highway 401 so they could immediately cut across the 3-4 Collector lanes and transfer into the Express lanes

All kidding aside, if people stopped being in such a panic to get into the express there would be no backlog at Morningside, McCowan or Kennedy on the WB 401 in the morning.

I routinely see this manoevre as well. I think people do this because there's too much of a backlog in the merged lanes, causing drivers to scoot out to the left, creating a ripple effect out towards the left lanes. In essence, the left lane IS the least congested lane, although many times too many people think this and end up clogging it more than, say, the middle lane!

Just thought I'd update this thread with an article on this very topic that popped up on The Weather Network recently.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/ne...ng-perception-vs-reality-on-the-highway/19361

Key points as follows:

Early merging
  • Does not use the full capacity of the highway.
  • Increases unpredictability (drivers might merge anywhere there is an opening).
  • Increases potential for collisions (following too close, aggressive driving).
  • You are contributing to or creating the backup.

Late merging
  • Uses the full potential of the highway.
  • Removes uncertainty because other drivers know exactly where you will merge (at the end).
  • Reduces collisions and frustration.
  • The merge point is orderly and fair.

I did my G-License driving test last month, and the biggest thing my tester complained about was that I merged too early onto the 400.

There was no traffic anywhere near, so I just merged into the lane at about 80km/h. She did not like that at all, stating I should have waited until at least 100km/h.

My understanding from her is that I should merge as soon as my speed matches the speed of the traffic.

I realize this post is from 2012, but this thread has been resurrected so I'm responding to it anyway. Your instructor is absolutely correct. Even when there's no traffic getting up to highway speed before you merge is a good habit to get into. When merging you should match the speed of the people in the lane you're merging into, whether it's 80 or 120. Too often I see people merge going way to slowly, cutting people off and forcing them to change lanes. This also causes people to drive in the middle lane when they're not passing anyone, which reduces the capacity of the highway. With the length of the ramps in Ontario, pretty much any modern car is capable of accelerating that quickly. People just need to learn how to use the gas pedal.

Mind you, the fact that an MTO instructor is telling someone to go "at least" 100 when that's the maximum speed of the highway just shows how ridiculous our speed limits are.

I remember when I did my G in Huntsville I got on 11 and did 90ish for a while, and promptly got stuck behind a truck doing 80. too afraid of passing him as I may go over 100 and passing him at 90 would mean I piss off other drivers doing 120 and possibly missing my exit, i stuck behind him doing 80. when finished her only complaint was that I drove too slowly on the highway. I chuckled and drove 130 all the way home.

I remember one of my driving tests (G1 exit or G2 exit) where the examiner asked me to get on the highway (401) change lanes over to the far left lane, and then change lanes back to the right in time to catch the next exit. As we know the 401 is busy most of the time, so as I am looking for my opening (was waiting for the vehicle beside me to pass me and I would merge in behind him) the examiner sternly told me that I was going to miss my exit and to get over.

Bah, after a while you learn that some driving rules can be bent somewhat as no two drivers are the same. For example my buddy's son is now learning how to drive and between observing his dad (my friend) and driving classes there are situations arising where the 'ideal' or rules are bent in the real world. Example: driving school teaches the hand over hand turning technique, but my buddy doesn't do this as he is worried about getting his hands tangled and I tend to do the hand over hand once and then palm steer the rest of the way. Or when reversing you are supposed to put right arm on the passenger seat and look over your shoulder. However I consider myself fairly short and find that maneouver difficult so I've learned to use my mirrors and know my vehicles dimensions and reverse that way.

I remember when I did my G in Huntsville I got on 11 and did 90ish for a while, and promptly got stuck behind a truck doing 80. too afraid of passing him as I may go over 100 and passing him at 90 would mean I piss off other drivers doing 120 and possibly missing my exit, i stuck behind him doing 80. when finished her only complaint was that I drove too slowly on the highway. I chuckled and drove 130 all the way home.

Good on you for driving a proper speed. ;)

Last edited:
What HTA says?

Many of the posters here didn't deserve to pass test and get the license.
HTA is clear here: when you merge to a line you have to yield to the incoming traffic. Period!
People that don't change the line (in this case left line to you) have right of the way. Period. Same as when you are overtaking.
You are allowed to merge when it is safe to merge - meaning when there is gap and when your speed is matched with the traffic.
There is no early or late merging issue - you are merging when it is safe. When you are at the end of the merging line and no gaps in the traffic, what then? You have to stop, unless you are willing to break another traffic law.
Why the merging is never the problem in EU countries, but only here?!

Back