News   May 21, 2024
 638     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 484     0 

What To Do In Chicago?

Cooool

Member Bio
Reaction score
So I'm going to Chicago for a few days with my family, and I am trying to think of things to do. I've got all the touristy stuff included like Millenium Park, Navy Pier and maybe a river tour.

But I'm getting nervous now because Chicago does not seem like it has that many cool neighbourhoods. I know there's Lincoln Park, but honestly, even that doesn't sound very exciting.

We're meeting up with family in the Roger's Park/Evanston area, so I'm hoping we won't get shot if we venture out too far from the Loop.

Amy advice for cool things to do in Chicago would be appreciated.

I'd appreciate any advice too; I'm going in a few weeks. Also recommendations for hotels -- preferably bed bug free :)

Lots to do in Chicago. I had a week there i didn't want to leave. Not sure what you consider a cool neighborhood, my idea of a cool neighborhood is one that is gay friendly ;)

One place that makes a perfect day trip if you're a Frank Lloyd Wright fan is Oak Park Illinois. It's about a 20 to 30 min ride on the green subway line. You can tour Frank Lloyd Wright's home and studio, as well as a walking tour of the neighborhood looking and learning about the history of the mansions he designed, Oak Park made the perfect day trip! even though the subway goes through some of Chicago's ghetto it is perfectly safe during the day.

Another area worth checking out is Wicker Park, mostly shopping boutiques bistros coffee shops and hipsters if you're into that sort of thing. ,Andersonville is another similar area and is very gay friendly.

As already posted a architecture boat tour is a must!!! http://caf.architecture.org/page.aspx?pid=574

Lincoln Park has a beautiful zoo and best of all its FREE it's better than most zoo's that charge admission! I spend my last day in Chicago hanging out in Lincoln Park and the near by Oak beach.

PinkLucy When i visit Chicago i like hotels to be close to fine dining and shopping so i try to stay in the gold cost area, not sure what you're budget is but the Residence Inn Chicago Downtown is a great place, it's one block from the Magnificent Mile, All rooms come with breakfast buffet and Monday to i think Thursday free beer and wine and light meal during the hours of 5 :30 to 7 :00 pm Chicago has tons of hotels with all different price points, If you want a room with a view check out the Four Seasons or Trump Tower. I had dinner at the Four Seasons we got table by the window over looking the street and lake and the food was incredible i highly recommend a meal at the Four Seasons!

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/chird-residence-inn-chicago-downtown-magnificent-mile/

Hilton Suites another great hotel.
http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hot...es-Chicago-Magnificent-Mile-Illinois/index.do

I stayed here a few years ago http://www.chicagoraffaello.com/ I had a suite, it was roomy not sure how big the studio's are.

Thanks gabe & DSC, some great suggestions. I'd been thinking of the Magnificent Mile area for hotels and while my budget is healthy, I cringe at paying $400+/night. (Four Seasons) The Residence Inn is rather more affordable as is the Raffaello and both are clear on bedbugregistry.com!

Whenever I travel to a new city, I like to check out what local deals I can take advantage of during my visit. Restaurant..cupcakes..shows..excursions...:eek:

I recommend you check http://www.dealsnapshot.com/chicago daily before your travel to look out for great deals. Currently, there's a 72% off deal for Chicago walking tour, see if you are interested.

Have fun in Chicago!

Everyone: I noticed this topic about Chicago and I want to mention my favorite Chicago place to visit: The Museum of Science and Industry in Hyde Park on the S side...
It is easy to get to-just take a Metra Electric train from Millennium/Randolph Street Station and get off at 55/56/57 Street Station-the 57th Street exit is closest...
Back in my Chicago visiting days between 1973 to 1988 I made it a point to visit on average once a year...website: www.msichicago.org

Another place to visit is the Chicago ArchiCenter run by the Chicago Architectural Foundation-just google "Chicago ArchiCenter" for more information...

I will second and suggest visiting Frank Lloyd Wright's Oak Park which is accessible by the CTA Lake Street L to Lake/Harlem (Green) or by taking Metra's UP-West Line
from North Western Station there...The Lake line runs thru a tough Chicago W Side neighborhood but during the day it is OK...

The view from the Sears (Willis) Tower is well worth the visit and also the John Hancock Center's observatory is also another good way to look at Chicago from up above...

I learned early on about Chicago and its neighborhoods-especially what is good and worth a visit and what to steer clear of and I feel that the S side gets a bad rap of sorts...
There are good areas there like the previously mentioned Hyde Park...

If you use transit see: www.transitchicago.com and www.metrarail.com for METRA Commuter Rail information...
Another favorite is www.chicago-l.org for a wide variety of CTA Rapid Transit history and in-depth information...

Go and enjoy Chicago! LI MIKE

I've been planning this same trip myself. The architectural boat ride seems awesome, so too does the zoo. I'm thinking of checking out the art institute as well and maybe some live shows, Second City comedy club, maybe see that show Memphis. If you go to askmen.ca, you can register and they'll send you updates on any hot spots in whichever cities you sign up for.

Also, the state of Illinois will send you free travel brochures, and lastly, a good hotel for around 200 a night is The Four Points by Sheraton at Magnificent Mile.

Back