What I Miss About Toronto In 60's | Page 10

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by lrookies, May 23, 2016.

1. W. K. Lis

W. K. Lis Superstar

The 1950's and 1960's were the height of television antennas on the rooftops (pointing towards Buffalo) and 300-ohm twin-lead wires down to the television set (singular).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And we had to sometimes add another antenna (small one pointing towards someplace called Agincourt) to get a clearer picture from the brand new Canadian television station called the CTV Television Network around 1961 (channel 9 on January 1, 1961 in Toronto)!! See link.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017

2. Johnny Au

Johnny Au Senior Member

Near where the boundaries of North York, York, and
    More specifically, the Buffalo-based television stations have their reception primarily from Grand Island (more specifically near the Fantasy Island amusement park if I remember), perhaps because Grand Island is on higher elevation and is the municipality within Erie County closest to Toronto; many Buffalo-based stations relied on Torontonians for their survival.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    W. K. Lis likes this.
  3. W. K. Lis

W. K. Lis Superstar

Most of the rooftop antennas had to be grounded, either to a water pipe or grounding rod into the earth. It was to create a pathway for lightning strikes. Without it, lightning will follow the pipes and/or wiring inside the houses.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Same reason satellite dishes should be grounded.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

junctionist likes this.
  4. lrookies

lrookies New Member

The last one kinda reminds me of a restaurant on Queen Street back in the early 1990's when I was a meter reader for Consumers Gas (now Enbridge). They grounded their rooftop satellite disc to the gas meter...not terribly smart, if you ask me.

5. lrookies

lrookies New Member

This is the house I grew up in at 478 Huron Street. It is known as the George C. Pidgeon House, donated to Bloor Street United Church in the 1950's...my Dad was the caretaker at the church from 1959 to 1992. We moved there in 1963 and my parents moved out in 1992 when my Dad retired. The bottom floor was a nursery school and we lived in the 2nd and 3rd floors. It was a house filled with warm family memories and love. After my parents moved out in '92, it was converted to offices...the United Church Observer had offices there. Recently they moved out. My wife and I were near there on Saturday April 01, 2017 and decided to have a look...the house now is an office to 4 different businesses (according to the note on the front door). Sadly it is starting to show its age and is deteriorating....the rot is showing around those big bay windows and the outside upper areas of the house (clearly visible in the photo) Unfortunately, Bloor Street United Church does not have the funds to restore it, which ultimately may spell its eventual doom. All things change, I guess.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  6. W. K. Lis

W. K. Lis Superstar

With a lot of the formerly metal pipes being converted over to plastic or some other non-metal pipe, I can see that grounding rods will have to be more or more used. Hopefully, that is in the building codes, since the house's or building's electrical system also has to be grounded the same way.

[​IMG]