News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 601     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Westside Gallery Lofts (Urbancorp) - Real Estate -

Hmm, I think you ruined the unit--looks very Milton suburban not Queen West arty. I'd have kept the rawness but ditched the kitchen in favour of retro appliances and interesting shelving etc. Probably would've spent $5-8k on the reno--take wrecking bar to the kitchen and start over.

So those are my befores and here are my afters. All the work that was done was not done by the builder. Floors, under counter lighting, paint etc.

Still more to go. will post when done.

from the images, i take this is a bachelor or maybe 1 bedroom (interior without window) unit ?!?

the kitchen/hallway/dining area seems quite tight with the table there but i guess you don't have much of an option ...

the unit looks more like a condo than urban loft

Hmm, I think you ruined the unit--looks very Milton suburban not Queen West arty. I'd have kept the rawness

the unit looks more like a condo than urban loft

since when did exposed HVAC ducts / water main / sanitary sewer / electrical conduits = LOFT ?

attachment.php

since when did exposed HVAC ducts / water main / sanitary sewer / electrical conduits = LOFT ?

attachment.php

exposed HVAC ducts are very common in lofts.
electrical conduits = sometimes, but they typically are presented nicely

exposed water main / sanitary sewer = NO, that's just disgusting and lazy on the part of the developer

condo = non-minimalist baseboard, the glass/metal dining + coffee tables, dining chairs used

sanitary sewer? Please tell me that's not what that black pipe is that's running through the kitchen.

My 2000SF Griffintown Mtl loft (rent $650 inclusive c 2002 :D) had exposed everything--wiring, sanitary pipes, etc--and I loved it that way! Very authentic loft indeed!

With a little bit of imagination, a few thousand dollars and several weekends of family fun, you could've done a very Queen West arty renovation--show off the rawness as sculpture, for example, with bold colours! Gut that boring kitchen and bring in retro-inspired appliances, galvinized sinks and plywood countertops! Wallpaper one wall with some c.1940's prints. Go to a vintage lighting shop and give your loft some character--anyone can get junk at HD or Ikea; it takes a bit more interior design skills to hit the next level.:)

So you're concerned about renting out the unit? Once again, it's WQW not Bay St!

The unit is actually a 2 bedroom 2 bath 770sqft and was one of the best layouts to chose from. there are no windows in the bedrooms, which i actually don't mind. the natural light comes through and with the glass bedroom doors the room actually gets natural light. The down side, and this is something i am fighting with the builder, is that they didn't put HVAC in the bedrooms.

For those of you who have been following this building, I can tell you this much, this place was built so poorly, and the finish options were god awful. when i took occupancy i tried to live with the floors as they were, but you could not walk around in the unit without shoes on. They were in such bad shape that the cost to have them polished was about 2x what the floors that i put in cost. The wood by the looks like older reclaimed wood, as i was trying to go for that old loft feel. the rest will come with time... had to sink enough cash into this place to get it live able.

The unit is actually a 2 bedroom 2 bath 770sqft and was one of the best layouts to chose from. there are no windows in the bedrooms, which i actually don't mind. the natural light comes through and with the glass bedroom doors the room actually gets natural light. The down side, and this is something i am fighting with the builder, is that they didn't put HVAC in the bedrooms.

For those of you who have been following this building, I can tell you this much, this place was built so poorly, and the finish options were god awful. when i took occupancy i tried to live with the floors as they were, but you could not walk around in the unit without shoes on. They were in such bad shape that the cost to have them polished was about 2x what the floors that i put in cost. The wood by the looks like older reclaimed wood, as i was trying to go for that old loft feel. the rest will come with time... had to sink enough cash into this place to get it live able.

No HVAC in the bedrooms. *sigh*

What's unfortunate is you're not the only one who had to spend a bunch of money to make the place livable. you shouldn't have to do this to a brand new condo! *makes mental note of the builder*

Free chairs from UpCountry!

Free to good home (preferably in Westside since that's where they are now): two super comfy and high quality armchairs from UpCountry. Excellent condition, the seat cushions are mis-matched with a white slip cover. We are bringing in a couch, so they have to go. More to the point, you have to take them!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59627123@N05/5455202934/

floor type?

Hi,
Like to know what type of flooring you had put in - is it hardwood or laminate or engineered? also, do you have to put a specific underpad and has it approved by the property mgmt? i am moving in around mid march so like to know what i should do with the place.
thank u.

I put in Laminate. I used downtown flooring at Queen and Agusta. Great selection and service there. If you spend a little more like I did, you can get product that looks like real wood and not a photocopy. As for underpad, well my friend i went with standard underpad that they use in most condos. but keep this in mind

A) there is no building management at the moment
B) most of the units in the building have bare concrete floors, so no underpad there

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much, Zee. I will definitely check it out (it was closed today)

Another question for you - hope you don't mind - did you just paint over the concrete walls or put a dry-wall and then paint over it. Reason for asking is i just went through my PDI last Fri and the exposed concrete walls are terrible where they are pockets of holes and between the ceiling & wall, it is not smooth with coagulated patch all over and the worst part is at the bottom of the wall where it meets the floor are the so-called "honeycomb" effect. Oh! I forgot, that is not the worst part but embeded in the walls are something like a square brick that looks like the granite top around the kitchen sink and they juts out in every of my concrete walls around my unit.

I signed the PDI not able to note down these as defects because according to the person conducting the PDI, this is just the way exposed concretes are. He told me that the builder won't do anything about it and suggested that I talked to my lawyer.

I wonder if you have such issue during your PDI and if yes, any advice you can pass along to me. Although looking at your pre-renovation, your concrete walls looks very decent as compare to mine. I appreciate any advices you can give me - thank you.

Newbie in home ownership,
J

Are there any more units available in this building? new phase? I'm looking for a 1 bedroom unit or 2 bedroom where both bedrooms have windows. The ones without windows sound pretty ridiculous. Also I read that 180 sudbury and possible other spots are going to be subsidized housing. How will this effect the value?

Thanks so much, Zee. I will definitely check it out (it was closed today)

Another question for you - hope you don't mind - did you just paint over the concrete walls or put a dry-wall and then paint over it. Reason for asking is i just went through my PDI last Fri and the exposed concrete walls are terrible where they are pockets of holes and between the ceiling & wall, it is not smooth with coagulated patch all over and the worst part is at the bottom of the wall where it meets the floor are the so-called "honeycomb" effect. Oh! I forgot, that is not the worst part but embeded in the walls are something like a square brick that looks like the granite top around the kitchen sink and they juts out in every of my concrete walls around my unit.

I signed the PDI not able to note down these as defects because according to the person conducting the PDI, this is just the way exposed concretes are. He told me that the builder won't do anything about it and suggested that I talked to my lawyer.

I wonder if you have such issue during your PDI and if yes, any advice you can pass along to me. Although looking at your pre-renovation, your concrete walls looks very decent as compare to mine. I appreciate any advices you can give me - thank you.

Newbie in home ownership,
J

Hi Jelly fish.

No.. my walls were all drywalled. check your APS i purchased 2 years ago and nowhere does it state in mine that any walls were to be exposed. I have actually been in a couple units where they sealed the wall in a high gloss material and it looked pretty good. I am however contemplating painting the ceiling white as it is not that nice bare.

Back