News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 521     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Westside Gallery Lofts (Queen West Triangle, Urbancorp, 20 + 8s, Kirkor) COMPLETE

Sure, until they knock down 48 Abell to build the other condo.

You'd think those mechanical units would have been a bit easier on the eyes.... oh wait, did those also get "discontinued"? Is there an upgrade option then?

refering to the units facing the mechanical penthouse

Are they really knocking down 48 Abell? That's a terrible waste.

This project is completely uninspiring.

Yes they are. No one in the sales office would tell you that but a short walk to the lighting store in 48 Abell and a quick conversation with a store employee sure got the details out. Great news since my unit directly faces 48.

Uninspiring? I think with what people have had to deal with with this development it has been more of a nightmare than anything else. I will NEVER recommend an Urbancorp development to anyone after all of this.

BTW any one else get ANOTHER move-in postponement letter? I went from a "confirmed" Sept. 28th date to yet another "confirmed" Oct. 28th date.

How is that great news? 48 Abell is a beautiful brick building that will be replaced with another bland condo that will block your view entirely.

It isn't. I was being sarcastic. I agree 100% with you. They should have purchased the building and converted it to a Hard-loft space instead or something with redone artist studio space inside. Unfortunately they don't give a shit. Whatever makes them more money.

Whoops, sorry. Yeah, this is one of those buildings facing destruction that I'm tempted to chain myself up to and face the bulldozers.

BTW any one else get ANOTHER move-in postponement letter? I went from a "confirmed" Sept. 28th date to yet another "confirmed" Oct. 28th date.

Its sad to hear the bad experience you had with Crappy(urban)Corp ... if they already gave you a 'confirmed occupacy date' and now wants to push it back another month, you may want to check with your lawyer just to confirm if you are entitled to any 'delay compensations' in accordance with Tarion regulations ~

It isn't. I was being sarcastic. I agree 100% with you. They should have purchased the building and converted it to a Hard-loft space instead or something with redone artist studio space inside. Unfortunately they don't give a shit. Whatever makes them more money.

This seems consistant with the prevailing theme of greed being the deciding factor in how things get built in this city. It would be really nice if some kind of vision regarding urban planning actually existed and was followed. Sadly, this seems to be not the case.

Regarding 48 Abell, that's too bad. All too often, this type of intensive development located within a confined area tends to obliterate some of the more interesting attractions of the neighbourhood. This building will be missed.

tkip:

It would be really nice if some kind of vision regarding urban planning actually existed and was followed.

The problem isn't one of vision - the problem is a legal framework that prevents it from happening, in this (and many other) case.

AoD

tkip:

The problem isn't one of vision - the problem is a legal framework that prevents it from happening, in this (and many other) case.

AoD

Agreed. There's too much "mice-type" in the contracts, permits and agreements that allow a builder to do whatever the "F" they want right up to actually breaking ground. I find it VERY difficult to believe that due to "the economic situation" or materials being "discontinued" this entire development and the point-a-gun-to-my-head suite options, went from a design-focused, cool, modern one to Retirement Home! Where the hell did all this taupe come from??!!

There needs to be some kind of legal provision where design and materials are followed regardless of financial issues. A very good reason should be provided, reviewed and considered, otherwise a reasonable substitute must be provided in keeping with the original design. There's no reason for the ENTIRE look and feel of the project to change. Builders need to be held accountable under some sort of "false advertising" law.

And PS to these greedy builders: We're not all looking at this as an "investment" Most of us want to call this place "home"

tkip:

AoD

Too much red tape is the problem then. Though I still think there is a no vision for this city generally speaking from the people responsible for managing it.

Boo - I'm looking at a Christmastime move-in now. Unless it gets delayed again.

Does the closing date move roughly around the same amount of time? It was originally about two months after my occupancy. I'm wondering if it'll be the same still.

I understand they will be building an affordable housing complex after they demolish 48 bell.
http://www.stclares.ca/abell.html

I also read there are plans for a seniors residence. The triangle will be of mixed use with condo's rental units and affordable housing.

I think the other area of mixed use will be a building on the corner of Lisgar and Sudbury street.

Back