Toronto Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

What's up with the warped metal along the curved portion of the Canary's roof? I though this building was recently restored?

I guess those two ugly metal utility poles will remain adjacent to said building? They even have the modern light brackets attached to them.

What's up with the warped metal along the curved portion of the Canary's roof? I though this building was recently restored?
They restored the masonry, windows and roof but, for some reason (lack of time?) but not replace the metal cladding at the corner. I assume it will get done as it certainly does look rather poor. (As you can see in the photo, a piece of the cladding is actually missing.)

Yes, there's too much gray, but I think you'll find that once people and shops have moved in that it's less sterile than you're expecting. No, it will never have the fine grain and more organic feel of older neighbourhoods, but the public realm here is a notch above. There is still a lot more building to come too, and the future developments are not very likely to be gray.

I guess those two ugly metal utility poles will remain adjacent to said building? They even have the modern light brackets attached to them.

So not even this development could be spared from those hideous poles...Why must we use this, they look ugly and cheap.

Snapped a few photos on my way home from work today.

IMG_3848.jpg

IMG_3821.jpg

IMG_3830.jpg

IMG_3835.jpg

IMG_3836.jpg

IMG_3857.jpg

IMG_3858.jpg

IMG_3860.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3821.jpg
    IMG_3821.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,328
  • IMG_3830.jpg
    IMG_3830.jpg
    556.7 KB · Views: 1,346
  • IMG_3835.jpg
    IMG_3835.jpg
    581.4 KB · Views: 1,326
  • IMG_3836.jpg
    IMG_3836.jpg
    811.2 KB · Views: 1,328
  • IMG_3848.jpg
    IMG_3848.jpg
    547.6 KB · Views: 1,313
  • IMG_3857.jpg
    IMG_3857.jpg
    817 KB · Views: 1,314
  • IMG_3858.jpg
    IMG_3858.jpg
    760.4 KB · Views: 1,331
  • IMG_3860.jpg
    IMG_3860.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 1,303
Can't wait until the city rips up the beautiful new brick paving on these street with utility cuts and fills them up with asphalt.

Can't wait until the city rips up the beautiful new brick paving on these street with utility cuts and fills them up with asphalt.
From my observations most of the utility cuts are made by Toronto Hydro and, more so, the telecom companies. Those made by the City - mostly water - are much less frequent.

I keep belabouring this point, but I don't understand why the city doesn't mandate replacing the paving stones as they were.

In most of the world, when you see paving stones and work needs to be done underneath, the workers carefully remove the old stones (and pile them neatly nearby); dig, replace, do the needful, and close it all off and put the stones back in. Only in Toronto did I hear this ridiculously stupid excuse of 'letting the ground settle'.

Back