News   May 01, 2024
 218     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 2.8K     5 

West Don Lands: District Energy Centre (Steven Holl Architects)

The Portlands energy building is at Leslie and Unwin and is going to generate electricity from gas for all of Toronto. The West Don Lands district energy centre is to provide hot water etc for the West Don Lands development at Cherry/King/Don River. They are doing quite different things and are quite far apart.

Ahh, this is for the West Don Lands. Somebody said port lands. Still, there's no reason why they couldn't pipe steam from the new power plant. There's no difference between an electricity generating plant and a district heating plant. They both generate steam, but one uses it to heat buildings and the other uses it to spin a turbine. It's much more efficient, however, to use the steam for heating after it has spun the turbine instead of generating new steam somewhere else.

Why don't the build it north of the Danforth somewhere? You know, as in Holl & Ootes
cootes.jpg

Ahh, this is for the West Don Lands. Somebody said port lands. Still, there's no reason why they couldn't pipe steam from the new power plant. There's no difference between an electricity generating plant and a district heating plant. They both generate steam, but one uses it to heat buildings and the other uses it to spin a turbine. It's much more efficient, however, to use the steam for heating after it has spinned the turbine instead of generating new steam somewhere else.

The cement companies want to burn tires to generate heat for their furnaces when they make cement, but can't because of the city. There are other furnaces as well that can burn garbage, who also can't because of the city. Generating electricity could be a by-product of all of them. That is what the European countries are doing, but not here. We are so behind because of our blinders.

whether we like the term or not, Steven Holl has long been part of the 'Starchitect' club. His portfolio is full of the sorts of international prestigious projects that defines the category. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing either, it just implies that these architects have become household names (as much as that is possible with architects.)

As for this project, It's surprising that Holl is involved...it is a power station after all.
There was an RFP for this project. The site is the east side of Cherry street, just north of the train tracks, across from the new distillery Aa condos.

Hey, Holl designed that MIT residence that looks like the nuthouse in Screwy Squirrel's "Happy-Go-Nutty"

Alvin:

Where on the waterfront site did you find this document? I was looking around on my own and couldn't find it.

There was a ton of stuff in there that I hadn't seen before - district energy centre, updates to the sherbourne park plan, etc. I'm wondering what else i'm missing out on...

Alvin:

Where on the waterfront site did you find this document? I was looking around on my own and couldn't find it.

There was a ton of stuff in there that I hadn't seen before - district energy centre, updates to the sherbourne park plan, etc. I'm wondering what else i'm missing out on...

The Waterfront Toronto site is NOT user friendly but a lot of documents are under the Board of Directors 'tab'. Go to "About Us" from main page, then to "Board of Directors" and this one is under "Board Presentations". There are also useful docs linked to under the AGENDAs of some meetings though I see that the CEOs report which was there last week is now gone (or I can't find it.) Enjoy!

bengajin:

DSC's instructions are correct. I've also posted the same presentation in various project threads on UT that it referred to (e.g. Spadina Slip, Sherbourne Park, Jarvis Slip, etc.)

AoD

Yes, thanks for posting Alvin-much appreciated. There is a lot of stuff to be excited about and the plans are coming together rather well. I also think that this is the first time, that plans for the waterfront, have come along this far in the design process.

Is there any way to find out who is working on what?
Also, the District Energy Plant looks promising..Not sure how preliminary or far along in the design process this is though?

p5

p5:

Names of the firm involved are listed on the project page on WT. I can sort of give you an idea as to who is involved though

West Don Lands (overall)- DTAH
Don River Park - MVVA
East Bay Front (overall) - Kim Koetter
Sherbourne Park - Phillips Farevaag Smallenberg
Lower Don/Don Mouth - MVVA
Queen's Quay/Central Waterfront - West 8/DTAH
Jarvis St. Slip - Claude Cormier Architectes Paysagistes

AoD

Kunstler's architectural horizons are not very broad in scope: he's a bit of a pinhead in that area actually.

Back