News   May 17, 2024
 230     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 516     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 866     1 

Waterloo to get $300 million for Rapid Transit

Would the lower rate for Years 6-15 be less than 1%? If not, then why is it that the "modified" plan can achieve the same number of annual passenger trips with less money than the "original" option?

In the original option years 10-20 would have had annual increases of 0.25 to 0.5% overall. So again, in the end it should not be less money, though there will be less money in the intermediate years.

There obviously will be less transit use in the intervening years, which doesn't show with the pretty statistics used, like horizon year usage.

Yep. I would have liked to see even more investment, but a 3% tax increase (and especially now) could easily have become a losing proposition come election time.

In the original option years 10-20 would have had annual increases of 0.25 to 0.5% overall. So again, in the end it should not be less money, though there will be less money in the intermediate years.
I'd be less inclided to question the report if they had more supporting data included, for example a table of yearly increases.

20 years at 1% growth: 22% increase over 20 years (1.1% nominal)
5 years at 3% and 15 years at 0.5% growth: 25% increase over 20 years (1.25% nominal)

The difference in actual spending is 116.2% vs 122.8% 'average spending per year in current year spending'. That a 25% reduction in annual investment. I can live with that realisation, but I doubt you can reduce the total money spent without affecting the mode-split.

Also, what about growth of bicycle and pedestrian traffic? If 10% of the population changes from cars to transit over the next 20 years, what strides will be met on those fronts? Will less than half of all Regional trips be non-automobile based in the next two decades?

If it does happen, I'll be highly amazed and KW (having merged by then) will truly be a world-class city, rather than the world-class town it is (City being 1m+ and Town being 100k+).

Yep. I would have liked to see even more investment, but a 3% tax increase (and especially now) could easily have become a losing proposition come election time.
Is declining farebox recovery a winning or losing election position? Is delaying implementation of new services for 5- or 10-years worth asking people if the want to pay for it? But yes, the King St LRT is a winning proposition come election time, but not come tax time. Maybe I'm too cynical, and the majority of the Region that lives in subdivisions outside the central corridor will be a minority in 2025.

I can't tell if this is a joke or not, but I'm laughing. What would a city do with 1 km of subway?

20 years at 1% growth: 22% increase over 20 years (1.1% nominal)
5 years at 3% and 15 years at 0.5% growth: 25% increase over 20 years (1.25% nominal)

The difference in actual spending is 116.2% vs 122.8% 'average spending per year in current year spending'. That a 25% reduction in annual investment. I can live with that realisation, but I doubt you can reduce the total money spent without affecting the mode-split.

It isn't percentage increase in transit funding that we're talking about, but rather the percentage increase in property taxes in order to fund transit. The "Modified C" option, which was chosen, has an annual 1% property tax increase directed to transit operating costs. Regarding the original option C, from a previous document: "The tax levy increase needed to support the implementation of the preferred transportation network (i.e. Alternative C) would be in the range of 3 to 3.5% per year in the first 5 years, 1.0 to 1.5% per year in the next 5 years and 0.25 to 0.5% per year in the remaining 10 years. It was felt that this level of investment in the early years would result in substantial financial pressure and wouldn‘t be affordable."

According to the documents, 1% of the tax levy is currently $3.6 million. The total Grand River Transit budget, net of fare revenue, is around $55 million.

Also, what about growth of bicycle and pedestrian traffic? If 10% of the population changes from cars to transit over the next 20 years, what strides will be met on those fronts? Will less than half of all Regional trips be non-automobile based in the next two decades?

There will be an Active Transportation Master Plan put together starting this fall, which will address priorities and funding sources.

Back