News   May 10, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.4K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

Looks like Duck has already covered the progress on OCS poles along the Spur so I'll skip most of my images.

Oddly, the poles going up along the spur currently are I-beams, in contrast to the OCS poles along the road (and every other OCS pole I've seen). What's up with that?
25179553455_4d8b5da778_b.jpg

To add to Duck's series on laying rail along the spur, here's some of the equipment:

EDIT: Duck posted the above set literally seconds before I posted this. Not so useful after all, haha.
25153210396_4e9fed89fe_b.jpg

Conestoga Parkway southbound exit from Northfield:
24811839369_236a7883a8_b.jpg

Looking south along the spur from Northfield:
25086309781_22dda6ee05_b.jpg

I think the I-Beam OCS Poles on the spur are probably a little cheaper to fabricate - they're simple standard rolled sections, so in an area like the spur where it's ok to have something a little "uglier", it's a bit more economical. The nicer poles in the downtown area (tapered cylinders) are likely a bit more expensive.

It's not about cost. Look at their usage - round for single-sided catenary structures, I-beams for two-sided and portal structures.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Could be. The I-Beam posts on the Spurs support catenary with a wider stance - the tracks are further apart.

No catpoles have gone up along downtown sections with track on both sides. We'll see that soon enough.

I would have guessed those were for lubrication to keep track/wheel noise down on corners. But the orange one is on the non-flange side if I look at the track correctly.

Could just be a sensor to detect where the train is as part of the signaling system or to activate a traffic signal, although this is usually done by cutting a loop into the concrete.

I think it is a lubricator because it appears just before a curve. A similar device is at the curve on Charles/Benton. But the orange silicone pad on the outside of the rail is the one that confused me. I don't understand it would be wiping or touching on the train as it passes.

Back