News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 366     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 936     1 

Waterfront: West Don Lands (DTAH)

Read through alot of it. Quite detailed and promising. Surprising about 20+ story condos around the river.

Its a sizable project but not as difficult to move along. With the cooperation of developers, its a subdivision plan with more detailed and varied guidelines. There are bigger neighbourhood plans in Markham.

The Don Lands park is the so-called centrepiece. I hope its more than a field with a softball diamond.

That Front street esplanade-like extension seems promising, given the emphasis on ground level retail. Should make for an attractive spot.

I was surprised to see that short segment of streetcar track in the report. Would the TTC actual run trains into the neighbourhood or use it for short turns?... Perhaps it's all part of a larger scheme to connect the whole system under the railroad tracks and to the future Queens Quay East route?

markayca:

I believe there are plans to run streetcars down Cherry into the Portlands eventually. Transit has to be done by separate EAs, so I imagine we'll read more about that in the future.

AoD

The worst part of this development is the effect along Eastern coming off of Front. Block P1 to the south of Eastern after it veers off of front has the well known two car dealerships which appear to have active prep work onsite. Block P2 on the south east corner of Cherry and Eastern has the monolithic concrete mini-storage site (the block plan in this case assumes that this will someday be redeveloped in conformance with the plan). Across from the ministorage is a auto collision shop which always has some choice wrecked cars in its lot fronting the NE corner of this intersection.

Above complaints aside I love this plan and look forward to the progress.

On page 47/48 they advocate relocating the don river station to the ttc turnaround. The picture they have is of the station in a leafy surrounding. Does anyone know where this station is currently located?

relocating the don river station to the ttc turnaround. The picture they have is of the station in a leafy surrounding. Does anyone know where this station is currently located?

Todmorden Mills.

Set in the scenic Don River Valley and adjacent to the Don Valley Brick Works historic site, the Todmorden Mills Museum is a unique industrial settlement, which tells the story of early industry in the City of Toronto. The present-day site consists of the historic millers' homes, the Brewery Gallery, the Paper Mill Gallery and Theatre, and the relocated Don train station.

I am very excited to see that prep work is beginning in the new community. I noticed the bright orange signs along Kind Street warning of construction work until 2008.

It struck me that if Toronto had won the Olympics back in 2001, by 2008 this would have been a fully developed neighbourhood as the Olympic media village for 10,000 journalist.

Few points:

Pleased to see that the Canary Restaurant will be preserved and I like the integration with the Distillary District.

I liked the concept of using towers as landmarks and gateways into the community. The tower planned at the Bayview and DVP off ramps will be key.

As someone pointed out the Private Car Dealership off Front Street is a huge disappointment for such a key gateway into the new community.

I was struck by how realistic and well thoughout the plan was. They didn't even bother to talk about burrying the DVP off ramps. I think it's a smart move, if we had gone down that road it would take us another decade to get any work done in the area.

I hope the TTC line will be funded and built soon. It will dramatically improve access to the Distillary District to the west, the new community to the east and the make an important connection south to the waterfront with a future extension to the Portlands. This line would be completed much sonner and faster if Toronto wins the 2015 Expo Bid.

Also the placement of the planned community centre and school next two the Don River park will ensure that it will be well used.

Finally, I was pleased with the commitment to building and mixing affordable housing units in the community.

Excellent start, now let's move forward with the East Bayfront Plan.

Louroz

Update: streets are still open however pylons and road signs are piled on the curbs of the intersections that are two be closed - construction trailers have also appeared

Are they going to be expropriating land to continue River Street south of King Street? Right now there's an older building which is occupied by a film construction company (name escapes me right now) and in the plans it clearly shows River continuing south as apposed to veering west first.

The only private land in the whole area are the P1 and P2 blocks I was talking about above. I believe that the film company was only leasing the site.

if Toronto wins the 2015 Expo Bid

Another bid would delay development a further 10 years and even if Toronto hosts Expo 2015 it would take another 10-15 years post fair construction could start. The other issue with the site plan is the existing island airport which would have to vacate well before the lease runs out. Then there is FilmPort and PEC taking up whatever land is available in the portlands. I don't see much public enthusiasm and do Torontonians have the willingness to try another bid when there are more pressing issues in the city?

billonlogan:

Another bid would delay development a further 10 years and even if Toronto hosts Expo 2015 it would take another 10-15 years post fair construction could start.

The Expo bid has nothing to do with the West Don Lands - it would have an effect on parcels of Portlands, depending on the phasing plan. I am not sure how the assertion that it will take 10-15 years after the fair for construction to start is supported. In fact, the Expo bid could have provided critical infrastructure for the area that otherwise might not have been built at the time (like the LRT line).

The other issue with the site plan is the existing island airport which would have to vacate well before the lease runs out.

That's a matter of politics.

Then there is FilmPort and PEC taking up whatever land is available in the portlands.

FilmPort and PEC takes up only a fairly small (in the grand scheme of things) part of the Portlands.

I don't see much public enthusiasm and do Torontonians have the willingness to try another bid when there are more pressing issues in the city?

It's still early in the process. As to "more pressing issues", there are always issues having to be dealt with, it's not an excuse for doing nothing on other fronts.

AoD

does the plan include improvements to the don trail and the section of bayview south of queen as well as north of queen and south of river st.? that is a particularly blighted part of toronto and would make the trail along the don river a lot more enjoyable

^I don't believe that improvements in the don trail are part of the plan although Bayview itself south of Queen will be redirected. The changes are largely north and west of the rail line whereas the trail runs on the other side. The precient plan does illustrate a dedicated pedestrian/bike bridge across the Don and a underpass from Don River park to the trail but that plan is meant to "outline development principles and guidelines" at a fairly high level. I believe the actual park design and planning is being undertaken right now - this may shed some light on whether those elements are really going to show up.

I would have to assume that any changes to the existing Don Trail will be made outside of the WDL implementation/budget.

That all being said, I have read that one of the first elements of the WDL work is making changes to the CN bridge over the Don. Part of those changes are improving the trail's underpass with that bridge.

Back