News   Apr 26, 2024
 724     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 245     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 730     0 

Waterfront: Martin Goodman Trail - Ontario Place (Janet Rosenberg)

The Molson Amphitheatre is isolated from the existing path that runs along the shore which will become part of the new trail.

ps I really hated the Bill Davis era in Ontario.

Only movie theatres and small convenience stores were allowed to be open on Sunday. (Maybe drug stores too, it was a long time ago!)
Going to the LCBO was like something out of a Russian novel. No products could be displayed. Only names and their codes were posted on the walls. You had to fill out a form with the code for the 'contraband' you desired, sign your name on it and hand it to a dour clerk at a counter. He would disappear back into the racks and return with the hooch, put the bottle in a brown paper bag and then hand it to you, as if it was something that had to be hidden from public view.
Oil prices were high (not his fault) and so was unemployment. Like John Tory he was bland and didn't have much in the way of vision for the province's present or future.
And like Harper, he won elections by pandering to a minority of voters while the Liberals and NDP split the left-wing vote.

That seems like the legacy of Toronto-the-Good protestant past than the product of Bill Davis' government.

Under Davis we had massive expansion of healthcare, welfare, infrastructure, community centres, education. He stopped things like the Spadina Expressway and built Ontario Place which I remember fondly from my childhood. Davis left an overall positive legacy.

In comparison, under the Harris era I had my education severely limited and the subway that was supposed to open on my street canned. Under the Liberals, we have scandal after scandal (though I do appreciate the transportation investment and democratic reform), while I know many people have grievances with the Bob Rae NDP years (I don't really see the impact, positive or negative, that government had, maybe I am too young).

Going to the LCBO was like something out of a Russian novel. No products could be displayed. Only names and their codes were posted on the walls. You had to fill out a form with the code for the 'contraband' you desired, sign your name on it and hand it to a dour clerk at a counter. He would disappear back into the racks and return with the hooch, put the bottle in a brown paper bag and then hand it to you, as if it was something that had to be hidden from public view.

The LCBO was opened up in Bill Davis's time and became an actual store, although it was pretty primitive by the standards of the LCBO today (it was just bottles on metal rack shelves like a No Frills or similar store). And it was one of Bill Davis's former ministers, Andy Brandt, that started the modernization of LCBO stores to what we have now. (By comparison, liquor stores in some US states are still exactly like those primitive LCBO stores.)

A lot of education and social programs were introduced or modernized in the Davis era, to paint it as some draconian dark age is kind of harsh. Obviously judging it by 2015 standards it wasn't as liberal as today (no pun intended), but it was definitely an age of social reform.

The Martin Goodman Trail is closed around Ontario Place and Exhibition Place. The bad news, there is lack of detour signs.

Took my bicycle for a ride from Queen's Quay to Sunnyside along the Martin Goodman Trail today. There was a sign at Strachan Avenue informing that the trail is closed for the Pan Am Games during certain days. However, it also said to use British Columbia Road to detour. The bad news British Columbia Road does not reach or start at Strachan Avenue. There were no other detour signs. Had to use Manitoba Drive over to Saskatchewan Road, Dufferin Street, and then British Columbia Road. There was another blockage on the trail at Lake Shore Blvd. and British Columbia Road.

Total lack of detour signs for bicyclists.

According to the signs, it was supposed to be open today but hey, it was closed. I guess it's no big deal to just close down a highly used route with no warning. I know it's PanAm, but they could have provided more info as they have done with road routes

Back