News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 317     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 870     0 

Waterfront: Jarvis Slip Public Space Design Competition

Personally I don't really care what Hume think's about anything, but I must admit he is right about this one. I went to HTO last summer only one time, and I then the novelty wore off. Having another beach is boring. The problem with the competition was that none of the entries were really exceptional just ho hum at best.

I have to admit, after taking some time to reflect on these proposals I'm a little underwhelmed. Is this the best they could come up with?

Looks like it's going to be pretty awesome actually.
I like the candy rock idea. I guess it will be painted rock?

I'm not opposed to this idea, but I do find it a bit underwhelming after HtO as well. I haven't really been by HtO that much this summer, does anybody have an idea how the takeup has been?

i really hope they don't let anyone do a repeat of this at parliament slip the way cormier wants to. it's too bad something exciting hasn't been done here.

Boring it may be, but I think it will be very well used and there are lots of little details that add charm to the project (e.g. extensive lighting, use of materials, etc). It's especially nice to see how the project also incorporates elements of the West 8/DTAH Central Waterfront theme.

AoD

I'm not opposed to this idea, but I do find it a bit underwhelming after HtO as well. I haven't really been by HtO that much this summer, does anybody have an idea how the takeup has been?

Ive been going just about every weekend. Its well used. Its the only place downtown where you can find people in bikinis all day! I personally love HtO and would welcome a similar concept at the foot of Jarvis, since it will be even closer to me.

Ive been going just about every weekend. Its well used. Its the only place downtown where you can find people in bikinis all day! I personally love HtO and would welcome a similar concept at the foot of Jarvis, since it will be even closer to me.

Sugar...ah, honey honey...

6a00cdf3ac0c23cb8f0109d0fdc2bb000f-500pi

In his CEO report to the March Waterfront Toronto Board meeting, John Campbell said:

Soil Depths in East Bayfront Parks Discussions with the City of Toronto on the issue of an appropriate sub-grade depth for Sherbourne Park and Sugar Beach remain outstanding. Based on an agreed-to approach with the City, WT has advanced detailed designs of each park, utilizing a thorough, scientific analysis of soil conditions, employing our sustainability mandate and taking into consideration the numerous criteria developed by the Ministry of the Environment regarding public and worker safety. City staff initially favoured a generic standard of 1.5 metre of cover, but based on recent discussions we believe they may re-evaluate their position. If the City does not accept the submissions there will be an increase in cost for these parks in the range of $2.0 to $3.0 million. In the alternative, should discussions become protracted, there is the potential for delays in delivery of these parks. The Board should note that this issue is potentially larger than the two parks in question. The City’s generic approach applied to all new public realm being constructed by WT would have significant cost implications for the corporation. It also brings into question the validity of the risk assessed approach, one that the three governments agreed would be the remediation approach utilized as part of waterfront revitalization. See: http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/dbdocs//49cbd3836a07c.pdf

So in other words, Sugar beach is far from starting construction.... The area starting on Yonge to Parliament is what really needs a shot in the arm. It's a whole different city down there. A desolate, industrial wasteland. It would be nice to start seeing touches here and there, one of which Sugar Beach would be a contributor.

Back