News   May 03, 2024
 384     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 213     0 

Victoria BC and the E&N Dayliner

S

spmarshall

Victoria BC and the E&N Dayliner

My last stop on my western adventure was Victoria BC. Being a bit of a fan of passenger rail, I took the opportunity to take the VIA Vancouver Island service, which also provided a wonderful opportunity to see more of the area, and the ride was definitely different.

Victoria's downtown, and the areas immediately to the south and east are pretty, but that's about it. Interestingly, Victoria has not only one of Canada's greatest concentrations of retirees, but it also has one of Canada's highest violent crime rates - it is up there with Winnipeg and Regina.

Victoria supposedly attracts toursits because of its "British" feel, though apart from a few British pubs and double-decker tour buses, it didn't feel like that to me, but maybe because I've been to Britain.

I took a bus from Pacific Central Station and took the BC Ferry across. The ferry to Victoria passes through American waters, then through the Gulf Islands. It's pretty, but the passage through the islands reminds me of Lake Rosseau.

VicF1.jpg

One of the first sights upon entering downtown Victoria is the abandoned Bay store, which moved into the former Eaton's in what is now the Bay Centre. One of BC Transit's double decker buses is seen.

Vic1.jpg

Vic2.jpg

Downtown Victoria is quite active, catering largely to tourists, but with a strong downtown mall and many good restaurants that also serve the locals.

Vic3.jpg

Vic5.jpg

Vic14.jpg

Vic28.jpg

Vic15.jpg

Vic16.jpg

Chinatown is only one-and-a-half blocks long, and not very exciting.

Vic17.jpg

Talk about faux!

Vic18.jpg

I took these shots from the front of the second deck on one of the new BC Transit buses.

Vic12.jpg

Vic13.jpg

In this shot, taken later in the day, the Olympic Mountains loom to the south.

Vic23.jpg

Vic6.jpg

BC Legislature:

Vic11.jpg

Vic10.jpg

Vic7.jpg

Vic8.jpg

Vic9.jpg

To the south of downtown is the outer harbour and dozens of seniors' apartment buildings. It has a bit of a California feel.

Vic19.jpg

And I visited the other "mile 0" of the Trans-Canada Highway - the other I visited last year in St. John's. Can we not pick one beginning and one end?

Vic20.jpg

I also walked around the east side of downtown, the only other handsome part of the city (I found most of Victoria to be bland, if not ugly). The grounds of the Lieutenant-Governor's estate is open, with a great garden.

Vic27.jpg

Vic26.jpg

Vic25.jpg

I took this picture to show one of the many "Disaster Reponse Route" signs I saw in Vancouver and Victoria.

Vic22.jpg

E&N and Vancouver Island pics are next in this thread.

The VIA Vancouver Island service usually consists of two RDC (rail diesel coach) cars that makes one round trip a day, every day, between Victoria and Courtenay, with a stop over in Naniamo.

This day, there was only one RDC in service, the other met a gravel truck and was in for repairs. The "train" was completely sold out, packed with locals and tourists.

Each town along the line sports a well-maintained station with a garden, smaller villages have a well-maintained sheler with floral displays. The food service for this train is comprised only of a catering truck in Naniamo, but I got long enough of a stop to walk down the street and get a Naniamo bar!

The road/rail lift bridge in Victoria.

EN1.jpg

VIA still uses the old roundhouse for storage.

EN14.jpg

Just outside of Victoria are several impressive trestles. Needless to say, it is a very scenic line.

EN2.jpg

EN3.jpg

First stop: Duncan.

EN4.jpg

EN5.jpg

Chemainus:

EN6.jpg

Nanaimo - I wish I had more time to walk around and check it out. A very lovely town.

EN7.jpg

EN12.jpg

The train turns right around in Courtenay, merely by flipping the seats in the other direction.

EN9.jpg

Great tour, Sean. Perhaps you're being a bit hard on Victoria... I mean, how many cities of Victoria's size have much of interest outside the core? Other attractive neighbourhoods include James Bay and Oak Bay... very charming.

Nice photos... I'm really surprised about Victoria's Chinatown being "not very exciting". Victoria is home to one of Canada's oldest Chinese communities, and this is reflected in the architecture of Chinatown (which I believe used to conceal opium dens and hideouts for secret Chinese societies). Perhaps the city hasn't really done a good enough job at highlighting Chinatown's rich history.

I also have to stick up for Victoria. No the down-town is nothing special, but we need to keep a bit of perspective here. It is the same population as say Windsor or London or St.Catherines. In that light, I dont know that I would single Victoria out for criticism. I grew up in victiora and admit that I like victoria alot, but not for its (cheezy) downtown but as indicated above for some great neighbourhoods and amazing access to natural environment (East Sooke Park, Gulf Islands, even all the bays along Beach Drive). That said, I live in Toronto for a reason and after 2 weeks back home I am about to go crazy.

Mpolo,

I have family in both Oak Bay and Sydney BC. Oak Bay is gorgious.

Back