News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 415     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

VIA Rail

This dives into semantics at this stage.

i.e. Is ridership going down because of congestion vs ridership going down because of competition;
It also depends if we define congestion as corridor competition rather than ridership competition;

The sentence is also, technically, parseable as acknowledging that regional ridership may competing. The sentence is slightly grammatically ambiguous because the media probably chose comma placements while quoting the VIA CEO. However, if you literally parse the grammar rules, VIA acknowledged ridership competition in addition to corridor competition.

Ridership is going down, [COMMA] partially because we are having reliability issues around running on time due to increased congestion on the rails from more and longer freight trains, [COMMA] but also more regional trains in and out from metropolitan areas, Toronto and Montreal.”

There are some minor grammar problems, and the sentence is run-on-sentence territory. Three commas, the use of "but", the use of "due", and two uses of "and". That's too many superimposed joiners in one sentence, which makes the sentence ambiguous, too. In one form or another, it still is acknowledging regional trains is affecting VIA one way or another. Actions matter more than words, and all actions point to regional rail service expansions catching VIA's attention in some fronts, including ridership loss.

You can rearrange the newspaper's choice of comma locations on this transcribed speech to more clearly point to corridor issue or the ridership issue. One thing for sure, is that one way or another, commuter services are certainly affecting VIA one way or another (whether be ridership or corridor use), and an increasingly slower VIA due to corridor congestion, still can loses regional (e.g. GTHA+Kitchener) ridership to other options (e.g. Metrolinx, Megabus, whatever), which can also hereby be argued as ridership competition, too.

(Yes -- I acknowledge my grammar is imperfect and I see many grammatical mistakes in my posts, but I am not spending hours proofreading casual discussion on a public forums. This isn't a government or specification document I'm writing.)

At this stage, academically purely semantics whether we want to argue competition on corridor capacity and/or competition on ridership.

Last edited:
It's no surprise that VIA is afraid; their fares are completely out of whack relative to GO. A one-way ticket to Oshawa from Union on GO is $10.25 cash and the semi-express takes approximately 45 minutes. In contrast, the 2.5 hour Toronto-Kingston trip on VIA (on a fairly cheap "Escape" fare) is $75. For the most part, Megabus ranges from $22-41.
GO doesn't go anywhere that VIA wants to serve. VIA has done everything possible to stop most people taking the train from Toronto to Oshawa, because they don't get the matching Oshawa to Montreal fares to fill the seat.

No one thinks that GO is competing with VIA. You have to spin quasi-related comments pretty hard to get that one! And the facts speak for themselves.

It's all about freight.

VIA has been looking for a magical big solutions since ... since ... well go back and look at the dates on their first HSR reports ... 1979 I believe. Seems they are slowly coming to their senses and looking at smaller solutions like extra tracks.

This dives into semantics at this stage.

You can call it semantics if you like. but it appears to be more of you reading things into a statement than is there. You took that VIA CEO statement and make the following declaration.

It is clear as black and white that VIA CEO said that VIA ridership is affected by competing commuter train services.

I don't see that anywhere...he does not say they are losing ridership to competing regional trains at all.

I don't see that anywhere...he does not say they are losing ridership to competing regional trains at all.
I'm not just using VIA CEO's statement when I say that assertion. Look at all the enormous piles of evidence, and I also posted photographic evidence (loss of Hamilton ridership, downgrade of Aldershot/Hamilton to unstaffed VIA station) amongst other information. Still as clear as black and white. Buttressed with all available evidence here, and beyond, I interpret that VIA CEO's statement as a black and white acknowledgement that regional rail services has an effect on VIA's ridership, both directly (competition for the regional passengers) and indirectly (competition of corridor resources; ala "congestion"). We can even call it a draw and just say "directly and/or indirectly" and leave it to everybody elses' interpretations on what the word "competition" means.

Call it what you will. I'm done with this thread for the day.

Last edited:
I'm not just using VIA CEO's statement when I say that assertion. Look at all the enormous piles of evidence, and I also posted photographic evidence (loss of Hamilton ridership, downgrade of Aldershot/Hamilton to unstaffed VIA station) amongst other information. Still as clear as black and white. Buttressed with all available evidence here, and beyond, I interpret that VIA CEO's statement as a black and white acknowledgement that regional rail services has an effect on VIA's ridership, both directly (competition for the regional passengers) and indirectly (competition of corridor resources; ala "congestion"). We can even call it a draw and just say "directly and/or indirectly" and leave it to everybody elses' interpretations on what the word "competition" means.
Or we could simply acknowledge the blindingly obvious that GO Transit are competing with VIA Rail's corridor services. If anything, the growth of GO allows VIA to offload more of the local service it begrudgingly carries, and allows it to tailor it's service to intercity traffic.

^ I agree.

GO is definitely moving in VIA territory as witnessed by extension to Kitchener, once the sole responsibility of VIA. If the HSR goes to London it will probably be run by GO as VIA will probably not assist in funding and has cut back service to London. VIA has done everything possible to make connections to SW Ontario as slow and inconvenient as possible despite the fact that London is still the forth busiest VIA station in the country.

When I was young I use to take the Toronto to London non-stop all the time and the trains were frequent throughout the day but those days are gone.

When I was young I use to take the Toronto to London non-stop all the time and the trains were frequent throughout the day but those days are gone.
How long ago was that? I certainly wasn't aware of any non-stop trains!

The main Toronto-London route hasn't fared all that badly in the last 30 years. Comparing the current schedule to the 1988 one that some kind soul posted in the Peterborough thread, the only significant change is that elimination of the late night train. There's one less morning train as well, but that was the Chicago train via Brantford, which ran about the same time as one of the regular runs.

GO doesn't go anywhere that VIA wants to serve. VIA has done everything possible to stop most people taking the train from Toronto to Oshawa, because they don't get the matching Oshawa to Montreal fares to fill the seat.

No one thinks that GO is competing with VIA. You have to spin quasi-related comments pretty hard to get that one! And the facts speak for themselves.

It's all about freight.

VIA has been looking for a magical big solutions since ... since ... well go back and look at the dates on their first HSR reports ... 1979 I believe. Seems they are slowly coming to their senses and looking at smaller solutions like extra tracks.

Your logic makes no sense given that VIA has <100% loads. If they have capacity from Toronto-Oshawa, any customer is better than no customer. Their problem is that with GO trains running all day nobody is going to bother with VIA. If there were no GO trains they would have a higher average load factor and better profitability.

Your logic makes no sense given that VIA has <100% loads. If they have capacity from Toronto-Oshawa, any customer is better than no customer. Their problem is that with GO trains running all day nobody is going to bother with VIA. If there were no GO trains they would have a higher average load factor and better profitability.
That would be true if they ALWAYS had trains with less than <100% loads. They don't. Last think they want to do is have to add a car to Toronto-Montreal trains that are only needed between Oshawa and Toronto. And if they do, they need to set the price such that they don't lose money at it.

London is already the SW hub.

nfitz.............about the London non-stop. That was when I was in university in the 80s. Depending on the day there were 2 of 3 London-Toronto non-stops. Half would end in London and the other 1 or 2 would continue to Windsor as regular service.

The idea of more frequent service to the SW is great news but I'm not sure how much more ridership it will produce, if any. Getting from London to Toronto has become an agonizingly slow affair due to freight but particularly due to the huge number of stops. The London/Windsor/Sarnia trains stop at every little town and cow pasture enroute yet where almost no one gets on or off.

As I have stated before VIA should get out of the local service markets altogether.

VIA should run just 3 routes. with very limited number of stations but make the trains both fast and frequent.:

1} WDS/QC with stations in WDS/LDN/TOR/MON/QC
2} TOR/MON with stations in TOR/KIN/OTT/MON
3} TOR/BUF with stations in TOR/HAM/NF/BUF

I have never supported the idea of HSR thru Kitchener. Let GO deal with Kitchener with regular service and some non-stops.

Smaller cities along the routes could be served by Greyhound which is already the backbone of the system. VIA and Greyhound could coordinate their timetables to make transfers easier and perhaps set up some form of fare integration. Rail was once a a way to connect the smaller towns and rural areas to the cities but those days are long gone. Almost everyone outside the large cities has a car due to time and the fact that many of these towns don't even have local bus service little alone a decent one.

Our train service uses the same basic model as it did 100 years ago and not only does the infrastructure have to be brought up to date but so too must be the services it provides and to whom it provides them.

The idea of more frequent service to the SW is great news but I'm not sure how much more ridership it will produce, if any. Getting from London to Toronto has become an agonizingly slow affair due to freight but particularly due to the huge number of stops. The London/Windsor/Sarnia trains stop at every little town and cow pasture enroute yet where almost no one gets on or off.

You've made this claim before, and I don't get it.

The Toronto - London - Windsor trains stops at; Oakville, Aldershot, Brantford, Woodstock, Ingersoll, London, Glencoe, Chatham, Windsor

That's five stops before London. You make it sound like there are dozens.

The Toronto - London - Sarnia trains stop at; Malton, Brampton, Georgetown, Guelph, Kitchener, Stratford, St. Marys, London, Strathroy, Wyoming, Sarnia

Obviously this is more than five stops, but hardly a huge number of stops (although IMO, they should probably get rid of Malton / Georgetown / Guelph, and connect with GO only at Brampton / Kitchener).

Last edited:
nfitz.............about the London non-stop. That was when I was in university in the 80s. Depending on the day there were 2 of 3 London-Toronto non-stops. Half would end in London and the other 1 or 2 would continue to Windsor as regular service.
When in the 1980s? The 1988 schedule shows all the London trains on the main line stopping in Brantford, and only a single train that didn't also stop in Burlington and Oakville. I didn't think there was that much change between 1980 and the 1989 Tory cuts.

The fast train 4pm train in 1988 that only had 2 stops took 130 minutes to London compared the fast 4:35pm train currently that has 3 stops and takes 132 minutes. London-Toronto service has fared very well compared to much of Canada.

Last edited:
You've made this claim before, and I don't get it.

The Toronto - London - Windsor trains stops at; Oakville, Aldershot, Brantford, Woodstock, Ingersoll, London, Glencoe, Chatham, Windsor

That's five stops before London. You make it sound like there are dozens.

The Toronto - London - Sarnia trains stop at; Malton, Brampton, Georgetown, Guelph, Kitchener, Stratford, St. Marys, London, Strathroy, Wyoming, Sarnia

Obviously this is more than five stops, but hardly a huge number of stops (although IMO, they should probably get rid of Malton / Georgetown / Guelph, and connect with GO only at Brampton / Kitchener).

As someone who used to ride these trains regularly its too many stops.

Wyoming, Woodstock, Ingersoll, Glencoe stops are a joke.

You can't just stop at every town, you gotta cross reference projected potential ridership of said stops versus how many riders you will dissuade from taking the train.

Like me for example, they added more and more stops and got rid of any 'express' service until it was no longer worth it taking the milk-run 5 hour train to Sarnia. So I bought a car.

Back