News   Apr 26, 2024
 302     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 291     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 483     0 

VIA Rail

Fascinating. HFR wasn't even proposed as a concept
Totally wrong. While the HFR acronym might well be new, many of those studies looked at various options, from the status quo, through to Maglev. This included high frequency options, even if not using that acronym.

Either way, point to any of the old 20 or so studies that proposed running from Toronto to Ottawa through Peterborough.

You can't - because there was none (and if there was one in the 1940s or something - take note of the travel time ...).

Stop pulling this stuff out of your imagination!

Well there Fitz, you've still yet to produce even one HFR proposal for a route. Stomp those feet all you like, acting up won't make you right. You obviously still haven't read the most definitive study of them all. I've linked it many times now.
-------------------
Digging on who owns the abandoned RoW from the extant east end of the KLR. Since much of that region isn't agricultural land, there's a very good chance most is already back to the Crown, or municipalities, and what isn't is liable for expropriation law (federal and provincial) to pertain:
Now a line is first offered for sale, lease or transfer for continued operation. If no interested parties come forward, the right-of-way is offered to the three levels of government simultaneously, at its salvage value. If there is no government interest in the property, then the railway company is free to discontinue its rail operations on the line and the right-of-way simply becomes a "piece of property" that can be dealt with as any other asset. The only matter that could affect this is how the railway originally acquired the property. If it was originally crown land or part of a land claim, the original acquisition agreement may stipulate that ownership reverts back in the event it is no longer used as a rail right-of-way. The OFA fact sheet on Abandoned Railway Rights-Of-Way & Farmers is available online and from the OFA office.
http://www.ofa.on.ca/issues/fact-sheet/Abandon-Railway-Rights-of-Way

From the linked page in text above:
When the government determines ownership is in
the provincial interest, it must give the adjacent
landowners the first right to lease the right
-
of
-
way
under an interim use ag
reement, until the
government decides to convert the right
-
of
-
way
into an acceptable public use, such as a
transportation or utility corridor.
http://www.ofa.on.ca/uploads/userfiles/files/abandoned railway rights-of-way.pdf

Powerful stuff. To anyone thinking this isn't applicable, the "Pickering Airport" mentioned prior makes the point, albeit that was under even more powerful federal law of expropriation, which since this project will be legislated under a Federal Act, will pertain.

Last edited:
Well there Fitz, you've still yet to produce even one HFR proposal for a route. Stomp those feet all you like, acting up won't make you right. You obviously still haven't read the most definitive study of them all. I've linked it many times now.
Only because you are using a new acronym, and choosing to ignore 4 decades of old work proposing the same thing, but using a different acronym. And you also choose to ignore the recent VIA announcements about Kingston being a hub in future service upgrades.

Stop deceiving people. There is not going to be a Toronto to Ottawa passenger rail service through Peterborough. Anyone trying to suggest otherwise is either dangerously ignorant or blatantly lying.

Anyone trying to suggest otherwise is either dangerously ignorant or blatantly lying.
lol...
Ahh, but the strawberries that's... that's where I had them. They laughed at me and made jokes but I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt and with... geometric logic... that a duplicate key to the wardroom icebox DID exist, and I'd have produced that key if they hadn't of pulled the Caine out of action. I, I, I know now they were only trying to protect some fellow officers...
-: The Caine Mutiny

Though I wouldn't put it at 100% that it's some in VIA Rail that aren't dangerously ignorant.

Though if they were really dumb enough to study this in detail, it will quickly end, once they have a proper engineer evaluate what kind of service then can run with the existing curves! :)

Either way, there isn't going to be a frequent service from Toronto to Ottawa through Peterborough.

Digging still on ownership of the 'abandoned' section of the Ontario and Quebec, CPR might have lost any claim some years back when their claim to ownership of the *entire O&Q* was contested in court (the case specifically revolved around Summerhill Station)...they stopped paying on the bonds, I'll dig out that case. So that trackbed and infrastructure appear to be in remarkable shape...only to find there's a personal dilemma on this: I'm a distance cyclist, and rail trails are exquisite, and I've now got to do this one. I've already bitten off the Uxbridge to Peterborough Trail to do in a month or so. Trails don't get much better than this (albeit the TH&B into Hamilton is a religious experience unmatched)

Trans-CanadaTrail. Looking south west on the Ontario & Quebec Railway right of way. Built about 1882, leased to CPR in 1884 on a 999 year lease. Are they still paying rent?

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/89299355

Old railway bridge from the Ontario Quebec Railway, now used for the Trans-Canada Trail. It has some interesting and enjoyable art work on it. The O&Q was founded in 1881, but leased the tracks to CPR in 1884 on a 999 year lease. Note the rivited iron construction.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/89317212

Photos taken in Tweed. Click on the buttons to see more of the RoW.

Edit to Add: RE: O&Q and CP Rail court case:
According to the website trainweb. org, four decades ago, Joseph Pope of the brokerage company Pope & Co. brought the O&Q matter to a head because CP Rail, which acquired most of the railway, “was doing as it pleased, something he felt was not right since there were other shareholders” entitled to a 6% interest, “that were being ignored and mistreated.” Of particular concern was that CPR was selling off real estate in Toronto and “keeping all of the proceeds for itself.” (Note: One of them being Summerhill Station, Steveintoronto)

In time (the shares were then trading at $72 a share) Pope and the Eaton Retirement Annuity Fund started a lawsuit, then Pope started another (the shares were then trading at $1,150) that went to trial in 1977. One year later, the ruling declared that “CPR had acted illegally in abandoning two stretches of rail line it had obtained on lease,” a ruling that was estimated to cost $1billion to $3-billion. The shares hit $2,500. CP Rail appealed and in late 1981 won – and the shares plunged in value. That ruling was confirmed by the Supreme Court in 1985. Thirteen years later, O&Q was in the news via a merger CPR was proposing. It then offered $650 per O&Q share but Pope wasn’t selling. When the price was upped to $2,300, he accepted.
http://business.financialpost.com/news/fp-street/could-note-derail-cp-rail-plan
[ One year later, the ruling declared that “CPR had acted illegally in abandoning two stretches of rail line it had obtained on lease,”] Perhaps this is why CP is being so 'co-operative' on this stretch? The RoW might not have ever been theirs. Whatever, it's clear the RoW is mostly, if not all, in the public domain in one form or other at this point.

Try and get CN to match that!

Last edited:
Though if (VIA) were really dumb enough to study this in detail, it will quickly end, once they have a proper engineer evaluate what kind of service then can run with the existing curves! :)
Like those terrible engineers, the Swiss? I bet you could tell them a thing or two!
The Swiss Federal Railways SBB set itself a target in the mid-nineties, to reduce the journey time on the major intercity connections. However indications showed that the necessary improvements on these curvaceous lines would require a substantial investment. A more cost effective solution was finally selected, using tilt-train-technology, which enables higher average speeds to be attained on existing lines. Therefore since 2001, on the two main lines of the Swiss Railways, 24 ICN Tilting Trains, have been in regular service operations.

In June 2001, based upon the successful performance of the existing ICN fleet, the SBB awarded the consortium Bombardier Transportation, consortium leader, and Alstom a further order for 10 additional ICN trainsets.These trainsets are now in service on the two passenger lines Geneva-Lausanne-Biel-Delémont-Basel and Biel-Zürich.
http://www.bombardier.com/en/transp...ll&f-country=all&f-segment=all&f-name=SPACIUM

Like those terrible engineers, the Swiss? I bet you could tell them a thing or two!
Tilting trains on VIA ... stop now, I'm going to wet myself!

Oh well, perhaps third time lucky!

Though I remember the LRC cars tilting, before they came to their senses and locked the things. I swear sometimes they tilted the wrong way! And the Turbo train was supposed to tilt as well - and I can never recall that happening, so I assume that was locked off to, before they sent it to the scrap heap.

You've been wet for some time:
Switzerland and Great Britain are the latest European countries to introduce new trains using tilt technology to increase speeds and reduce journey times without building dedicated high-speed lines.

TILT REVOLUTION
Although the two countries are just joining the tilt revolution, many other countries have already seen the benefits that tilting trains can bring to 'classic' lines where the construction of new high-speed railways is not viable.

Italy was an early advocate of tilting technology in the 1960s and developed it throughout the 1970s before introducing its first production trains.

British Rail was also a pioneer of tilt with its Advanced Passenger Train (APT), infamously scrapped in the mid-1980s after many years of costly development.

Since BR abandoned tilt, the technology has been further developed in by Fiat in Italy and Adtranz in Sweden and has been exported to a number of countries. Italian 'Pendolino' trains are now in service or on test in Italy, Spain, Portugal, Slovenia, Finland and the UK. Other tilting trains are in service in Sweden, Germany, Norway, Japan, Australia and the USA.

SBB TILTING TRAINS FOR THE LAUSANNE-ZURICH-ST GALLEN ROUTE
In June 2001 Swiss Federal Railways (SBB) introduced its Adtranz (now Bombardier) /Fiat built InterCity Neigezug (ICN) tilting train into regular service on the Lausanne-Zurich-St Gallen route. The seven-car trains have allowed SBB to introduce a half-hourly frequency between Lausanne and Zurich.[...continues...]
http://www.railway-technology.com/projects/tilting/

And more recently than that article:
Pendolino (from Italian pendolo [ˈpɛndolo] "pendulum", and -ino, a diminutive suffix) is an Italian family of tilting trains used in Italy, Spain, Portugal, Slovenia, Finland, Russian Federation, the Czech Republic, the United Kingdom, Slovakia, Switzerland, China, and Poland, and soon Romania. Based on the design of the Italian ETR 401 and the British Advanced Passenger Train, it was further developed and manufactured by Fiat Ferroviaria, which was taken over by Alstom in 2000. [...article details the development and deployment in 11 country featured paragraphs...]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendolino

I've rode them many times. Oddly I didn't wet myself, unlike Fritz. Hey...

Last edited:
It's going to make more than a tilting train to make such an awful alignment come anywhere close to existing speeds to Ottawa - let alone the promises one.

You keep wetting everywhere Fritz. Can't you stop?
The Class 390 is one of the fastest domestic electric multiple units operating in Britain, with a top speed of 140 mph (225 km/h); however, limitations to track signalling systems restrict the units to a maximum speed of 125 mph (200 km/h) in service. In September 2006, the Pendolino set a new speed record, completing the 401 miles (645 km) length of the West Coast Main Line from Glasgow Central to London Euston in 3 hours, 55 minutes, beating the 4-hour-14-minute record for the southbound run previously set in 1981 by its ancestor, British Rail's Advanced Passenger Train. The APT retains the ultimate speed record for this route, having completed the northbound journey between London Euston and Glasgow Central in 3 hours 52 minutes in 1984 which included a 5-minute delay due to a signal fault.[7]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_390
And since you obviously know nothing about the UK West Coast Mainline, it is very curvy, so much so that HS2 is being built to by-pass it. But of course, in Frtiz' world, 200 kmph+ just isn't fast enough. So here's an idea, let's take out some of those excessive curves on the Ontario & Quebec with modern earth moving equipment, gradient is nowhere near the problem it used to be, especially with electric propulsion, and get the speed even faster....and still save a $B or so in the deal.

Best I spell this out for the valve control challenged:
Because of opposition by landowners along the route, in places some railway lines were built so that they avoided large estates and rural towns, and to reduce construction costs the railways followed natural contours, resulting in many curves and bends. The WCML also passes through some hilly areas, such as the Chilterns (Tring cutting), the Watford Gap and Northampton uplands followed by the Trent Valley, the mountains of Cumbria with a summit at Shap, and Beattock Summit in South Lanarkshire. This legacy of gradients and curves, and the fact that it was not originally conceived as a single trunk route, means the WCML was never ideal as a long-distance main line, with lower maximum speeds than the East Coast Main Line (ECML) route, the other major main line between London and Scotland.

In recent decades, the principal solution to the problem of the WCML's curvaceous line of route has been the adoption of tilting trains, formerly British Rail's APT, and latterly the Class 390 Pendolino trains constructed by Alstom and introduced by Virgin Trains in 2003. A 'conventional' attempt to raise line speeds as part of the InterCity 250 upgrade in the 1990s would have relaxed maximum cant levels on curves and seen some track realignments; this scheme faltered for lack of funding in the economic climate of the time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coast_Main_Line

Last edited:
I don't have a source that says that VIA isn't planning to run the Ottawa service through Iqaluit ... because there just isn't a lot of sources to prove a negative.

However, recall there was someone from VIA who posted further up who dismissed the Peterborough fantasy.

Why would have VIA have spent millions on engineering studies on the Montreal-Ottawa-Kingston-Toronto alignment, and not an Ottawa-Peterborough alignment if they were suddenly going to turn around and have service running in 3 years. They wouldn't have even completed the studies by then on that alignment - which of course they wouldn't do because of all the curves - it would have to involve a lot of new alignment through the Canadian shield.
By the same token, you could ask why would Via run trains on its own tracks along the lakeshore and also run trains on CN tracks along the lakeshore. Some of those high speed rail studies would have eliminated service to the in-between small towns altogether, while Via is now saying the opposite. They seem to want to run high frequency trains on one service with a separate service for the smaller centres in between. Whatever is being proposed, it's a different animal from the studies that have come before.

Tilting trains on VIA ... stop now, I'm going to wet myself!

Oh well, perhaps third time lucky!

Though I remember the LRC cars tilting, before they came to their senses and locked the things. I swear sometimes they tilted the wrong way! And the Turbo train was supposed to tilt as well - and I can never recall that happening, so I assume that was locked off to, before they sent it to the scrap heap.
Nothing kills a rail project like some classic Canadian defeatism. Never mind that dozens of countries are using tilting trains, for us Canadians they're just too gosh darn complicated. Better to leave it to the Slovaks and Romanians.

Via Rail, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.

Last edited:
You keep wetting everywhere Fritz. Can't you stop?
So you've resorted to name-calling and bullying.

This only demonstrates that your case is so poor, that you have to resort to such tactics.

People who resort to name calling, should go to where they deserve.

[...] What analyses? VIA has spent millions of dollars over the decades analyzing various alignments - and I've never seen that one. [...]
[...]Why would have VIA have spent millions on engineering studies on the Montreal-Ottawa-Kingston-Toronto alignment, and not an Ottawa-Peterborough alignment if they were suddenly going to turn around and have service running in 3 years. [...]
[...]
Or the 1980 report - https://trid.trb.org/view.aspx?id=362675

Or the 1984 VIA report

Or the early 1980s detailed route studies by CANAC for VIA.
[...]

Not one of them discusses uses an alignment through Peterborough (unless there is a long-forgotten throwaway line noting that obviously one can't use that alignment).
Only because you are using a new acronym, and choosing to ignore 4 decades of old work proposing the same thing, but using a different acronym. [...]
Totally wrong. While the HFR acronym might well be new, many of those studies looked at various options, from the status quo, through to Maglev. This included high frequency options, even if not using that acronym. [...]

I really don’t know many people who actually bother to read all those studies, but how did you miss that VIA Rail has only commissioned a fraction of them, the most recent (publicly accessible) report of them in 2002, while VIA Rail (est. 1977) is 5-13 times older now than it was when it published the 1980 and 1984 reports you dug up? I've reviewed High Speed Rail Canada's excellent HSR study archive and found the following 7 studies, of which only 3 have been commissioned by VIA Rail - dating from 1992, 1993 and 2002, thus 14-24 years ago during which freight traffic has dramatically increased and VIA Rail has stopped to promote HSR as the most promising means of passenger rail renewal in the Corridor:
upload_2016-5-2_22-43-59.png

Also, you fail to understand that "High Frequency Rail" is not at all just a new name for the High Speed Rail systems we've been studying for the last 36 years: As pretty much every article ever published about HFR has pointed out, the maximum speed of HFR will be 177 km/h (110 mph) and though typical headways of 30-60 minutes qualify most HSR systems as HFR, the inverse is not automatically true. VIA Rail's HFR proposal might seem only marginally slower than the 200 km/h design speed studied in some of the reports below, but any speed above 110 mph requires costly grade separations at every single level crossing and the creation of a track class which does not currently exist in Canadian railway regulations.

[...] However, recall there was someone from VIA who posted further up who dismissed the Peterborough fantasy. [...]

Since I'm not aware of any other VIA employees posting here: I am not authorized to speak on behalf of VIA Rail and I'm therefore not going to announce any details of HFR which have not already been published somewhere. All I can do is directing you to publicly available sources, from which you may draw whatever conclusions you want:
[...] VIA will invest primarily in its own rail infrastructure and continue to pursue strategic infrastructure acquisitions in the Corridor as part of its long-term vision. Investment in track infrastructure will support the addition of train frequencies and reduce operational hurdles impacting trip times and on-time performance. Investments in third party infrastructure will only be made when necessary, provided there are guarantees of expected benefits. As demonstrated in the recent past, however, these guarantees will be difficult to obtain as market conditions evolve and freight traffic continues to grow. This in turn supports the notion of continuing to evaluate the relevance of operating on a dedicated passenger rail infrastructure. [...]
Source: VIA Rail (2015) Summary of the 2015-2019 Corporate Plan (pp. 2-3)
[...] As recently as the end of 2015, VIA purchased the Smith Falls to Brockville portion from CP, after investing some C$20 in tenant improvements over the years, including new passing tracks, curve realignments and centralized traffic control. CP retains its Smith Falls freight yard and running rights to connect with its Montreal-Toronto main line. That, perhaps, is a model for additional purchases of underutilized freight tracks between Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto. VIA anticipates acquiring a mixture of low-traffic freight lines and abandoned right-of-way. [...]
Source: VIA’s Grand Vision - National Dream Redux (Railway Age, April 2016, p.22)

It would be cheaper and faster to build on the 18 miles of disused RoW between Smiths Falls and Portland than it would be to build on 182 miles of disused RoW between Glen Tay and Kennedy, yes. [...]
As Steve has already pointed out, the Toronto-Havelock section is far from disused (though surely underused), meaning that only approx. 80 miles would need to be rebuilt (if that alignment was to be chosen) of a former ROW which is well preserved since it has been transformed into a path.

[...] Designing and building approximately 50 km of new line through the bush between Portland and Pittsburgh, ON would be eminently simpler than dealing with the NIMBY's and designing and building two new high level bridges over the Don Valley at Wynford Road and the Ontario Science Center. And a new high level crossing of the Trent in Peterboro.

- Paul
Two reasons why you would not have even started building your Gananoque cutoff by the time the Havelock subdivision could be rebuilt, upgraded and operational (again: if that alignment was to be chosen): you would have to undergo lengthy federal approval processes and environmental assessments, as that segment is longer than 32 km and not within any existing ROW, whereas even moderate realignments can be applied to the Havelock subdivision without triggering any of these requirements:
[...]
If a federal railway company intends to construct a railway line, it must file an application with the Agency under section 98 of the Canada Transportation Act for approval. This includes main lines, branch lines, yard tracks, sidings, spurs or other track auxiliary to a railway line.

No approval is needed to construct a railway line:
  • within the right-of-way of an existing railway line, or
  • within 100 metres of the centre line of an existing railway line for a distance of no more than three kilometres.
[...]

Construction projects subject to the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, 2012
The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency may initiate an environmental assessment pursuant to CEAA 2012.

The Agency can only then proceed with approval under Section 98:
  1. once an environmental assessment has been conducted; and
  2. if it has been determined that the project will not cause significant adverse environmental effects.
For more information, see the Overview of the Canadian Environmental Assessment 2012.

The Regulations Designating Physical Activities set out which projects are subject to an environmental assessment under CEAA 2012, including:
  • railway projects in a wildlife area or migratory bird sanctuary;
  • railway lines longer than 32 km;
  • railway yards with seven or more yard tracks or a total of 20 km or more;
  • railway lines designed for trains that have an average speed of 200 km/h;
  • international or interprovincial bridges or tunnels.
[...]
Source: https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/approval-construct-railway-line
As for the NIMBYism, these groups may be much easier to deal with along active railroads than in communities which have never seen a railroad anywhere near them...

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-2_22-43-59.png
    upload_2016-5-2_22-43-59.png
    108.8 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:
Any idiot can look at the alignment and resulting speed limits and see that it's not going to happen. [...]

It's utter fantasy and bullshit spread by those who don't have a clue. [...]
[...] You can't - because there was none (and if there was one in the 1940s or something - take note of the travel time ...).

Stop pulling this stuff out of your imagination!
Only because you are using a new acronym, and choosing to ignore 4 decades of old work proposing the same thing, but using a different acronym. And you also choose to ignore the recent VIA announcements about Kingston being a hub in future service upgrades.

Stop deceiving people. There is not going to be a Toronto to Ottawa passenger rail service through Peterborough. Anyone trying to suggest otherwise is either dangerously ignorant or blatantly lying.
So you've resorted to name-calling and bullying.

This only demonstrates that your case is so poor, that you have to resort to such tactics.

People who resort to name calling, should go to where they deserve.

I don't think I am suspected of being a fan of Steve's at times overly provocative and sarcastic undertones after derailing a different discussion over them, but remind me again: who exactly is claiming to be bullied and who do you accuse of the admittedly immature behavior of responding with personal attacks rather than fact-based arguments?

Last edited:

Back