News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 684     0 

VIA Rail

Why the discussion about eliminating stops on existing lines? Towns like Gananoque and Port Hope are served by maybe on or two trains a day while every other train goes through without stopping. Towns like these don't have staffed stations. I can't imagine that having the odd milk run stop in Trenton is costing Via a lot of money. If someone has to take a bus or drive an extra 30 km to another town to take the train, they're just not going to bother. You have to remember that most Via riders have cars - they take the train because it's convenient, not because they have to.

Why the discussion about eliminating stops on existing lines? Towns like Gananoque and Port Hope are served by maybe on or two trains a day while every other train goes through without stopping. Towns like these don't have staffed stations. I can't imagine that having the odd milk run stop in Trenton is costing Via a lot of money. If someone has to take a bus or drive an extra 30 km to another town to take the train, they're just not going to bother.

It would be interesting to see data on this. If stopping in the smaller town, where only five people a day board, discourages even six people from the larger station's market because the stop makes the trip slower, it's a bad deal for VIA.

Many of VIA's corridor trains are just that little bit shy of being time competitive. The few minutes saved could plausibly make the difference in ridership. On the Sarnia leg , it may not matter, but London-Toronto or Toronto-Kingston-Ottawa have greater potential market appeal for faster true express trains that aren't encumbered with stops.

- Paul

Many of VIA's corridor trains are just that little bit shy of being time competitive.

- Paul

I would say that a lot of VIA's service is not competitive with the car. I used to drive Scarborough-Ottawa all the time. My folks live 20 mins from Guildwood on this end. On the other end, my condo was two transitway stops away.

With a 10 minute stop in Kingston, I could do that drive in 4 hrs flat. Compare that to the time of getting to/from the station on each end and the 4.5 hr ride. The train is actually a 5.5 hr ride. The only reason I took the train is that driving alone for 4 hrs twice on a weekend, every two weeks, is exhausting. But on the occassions I drove, the car was faster. Now with this HFR proposal, @2.5 hrs Toronto-Ottawa is competitive with the car, even considering station access time. Ditto Toronto-Montreal.

I would say that a lot of VIA's service is not competitive with the car. I used to drive Scarborough-Ottawa all the time. My folks live 20 mins from Guildwood on this end. On the other end, my condo was two transitway stops away.

With a 10 minute stop in Kingston, I could do that drive in 4 hrs flat. Compare that to the time of getting to/from the station on each end and the 4.5 hr ride. The train is actually a 5.5 hr ride. The only reason I took the train is that driving alone for 4 hrs twice on a weekend, every two weeks, is exhausting. But on the occassions I drove, the car was faster. Now with this HFR proposal, @2.5 hrs Toronto-Ottawa is competitive with the car, even considering station access time. Ditto Toronto-Montreal.
And within under a decade, add improved rapid transit options (10-to-15 minute GO RER(ST) from Kennedy or Scarborough station, plus myriad possible new transit options if we just get things done), it helps even further.

Imagine GO having to setup a commuter network in Kingston and London. Not going to happen anytime soon. Nor will GO extend sufficiently past Durham to matter. And if GO did, the required subsidies would be massive compared to VIA.
Don't bet too soon,
Ontario is funding an EA for high speed trains on TKL.
If Ontario operates it, it might fall on Metrolinx.

The GO 2020 document did not even have Kitchener or Niagara service.
Today, GO is serving both (the latter seasonally and soon yearround).
Metrolinx operated HSR would have way more popular electorate support in 2018 and 2022 than UPX.

Assuming the UPX situation has sufficiently recovered by then, to the public's satisfaction (Arguably, not all Metrolinx projects are bad -- there has been some really, really, really nice GO improvements like half-hourly all-day two-way Lakeshore... And I would expect TTC-fare Eglinton Crosstown LRT to be very popular when it starts). There are already enough sensible Metrolinx projects with shovels in ground, that if they perform popularly, can put the UPX debacle behind us by #elxn2018 or #elxn2022.

What's not to say we have a TGV (high speed GO RER bullet expresses?) and Eurostar (high speed VIA) trains sharing different shorter and longer subsets of the same HSR corridor, much like French domestic TGV and international Eurostar trains?

I'm curious how this gets implemented. A big part of the sell for any new development would be through trains at Union running to Pearson at least. But if electrification is on the table, then we have an opportunity for through service with the same trains, with just higher running speeds on the TKL sector.
Ontario might operate it if they won a campaign in 2018 or 2022 to begin construction in the late 2020s for Kitchener operations in the early 2030s and London operations in the later 2030s. By then, London will have their rapid transit and LRT, and KW will be well developed, both sufficiently densities to meet HSR break even.

Essentially, high speed GO commuter trains, perhaps. 70 minutes to London is less than today's Kitchener trains, and fares competitive to VIA Tuesday fare (when buying a pack at least, for frequent commutes). Europe HSR gets much cheaper for frequent commuters, despite being similar to airfare for single purchases (albeit with much more convenient station location than distant RyanAir airports). We spend $5 billion for a new transit route that will have TTC fare (even if zone based by then), the same funds can stil create a HSR route that only has one order magnitude higher fares, especially if it avoids further 401 widenings.

GO RER electrification to Kitchener can pave way for incremental upgrades leading up to Metrolinx operated HSR with relatively good fare box recovery (by then). Two way all day service is a Goal that will be a megaproject thst probably could be combined with electrification. The same RER Phase II spending could pave way towards high speed service in an express-allstop scheme (RER/HSR) using KW initially and London incrementally (along with the Guelph HSR bypass, but keeping the Guelph infra improvements for the faster all stop service).

Who knows -- "GO Pearson" could be a new mainline station near Woodbine racetrack, with a theoretical LINK upgrade running on a future-discounted the UPX spur, to connect everyone (GO RER/ST and HSR) to both airport terminals. Or give free UPX connecting service at Woodbine for HSR users (if UPX still running). Or use existing frequent RER service over the spur if RER(+SmartTrack) replaces UPX during electrification. Many possible solutions to reasonably cost effectively hook TKL HSR to Pearson without redirecting a rail corridor. Personally, I like a theoretical LINK refurbishment/upgrade (faster/longer) to connect Woodbine GO (VIA+RER/ST+HSR) to both Terminals 1 and 3, but any number of options are possible in a generation.

Regardless of GO or VIA, eventually, the HSR lure will gradually be too irresistible and will happen on TKL by the 2040s in my opinion. The electorate is increasingly demanding it, being the corridor with the necessary density and transit deploymeant+mentality (in one generation from now) to warrant it.

Kids are getting fewer driving licenses and the demand (after lots of rapid transit expansions in L, K, T) will be incredible on TKL in 20 years. The bus traffic is already big between KW-Toronto and already fills a few HSR trainsets today. It really can only increase in the post-LRT era. Train use will grow faster than proportional to predicted population growth.

TKL (2030s) is MUCH more viable (fare box recovery wise) for HSR than the TOM corridor due to the much bigger commuter catchment (above and beyond tourists) given rapid transit in all of T,K,L cities.

Again I personally prefer TOM high speed trains. Ottawa is my hometown! But I am being honest and pragmatic/realistic with data warranting TKL-before-TOM for any services in the 200-300kph range.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see data on this. If stopping in the smaller town, where only five people a day board, discourages even six people from the larger station's market because the stop makes the trip slower, it's a bad deal for VIA.

Many of VIA's corridor trains are just that little bit shy of being time competitive. The few minutes saved could plausibly make the difference in ridership. On the Sarnia leg , it may not matter, but London-Toronto or Toronto-Kingston-Ottawa have greater potential market appeal for faster true express trains that aren't encumbered with stops.

- Paul
When the plan is to have 15-18 trains every day between Toronto and Montreal, what difference does it make if a couple of them are milk runs? The trains will be frequent enough that people can easily just take a faster train. Nobody's going to refuse to take the train because one out of 18 stops in Gananoque. That occasional train has no effect on more frequent express and semi-express trains between the larger cities.

I guess there is no date finalized when VIAs improved service to SW Ontario will be up and running. We may get to 2012 levels by 2017.

I guess there is no date finalized when VIAs improved service to SW Ontario will be up and running. We may get to 2012 levels by 2017.
""Via has submitted a request to the track owners with respect to possible additional frequencies in 2016," Via spokesperson Malcolm Andrews said. "Discussions are ongoing with the railway owners."

Andrews could not say when the new service will launch or provide a timetable. [...]"

I wonder if VIA will get pushback from CN for additional runs.

I wonder if VIA will get pushback from CN for additional runs.
It would be very silly of VIA to get this far without having sounded out CN on a tentative timetable, but you never know. They will only get so many before CN say "pay for track improvements and we'll see"

It would be very silly of VIA to get this far without having sounded out CN on a tentative timetable, but you never know. They will only get so many before CN say "pay for track improvements and we'll see"

Once again: ""Via has submitted a request to the track owners with respect to possible additional frequencies in 2016," Via spokesperson Malcolm Andrews said. "Discussions are ongoing with the railway owners."

Andrews could not say when the new service will launch or provide a timetable. [...]"

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6377051-via-rail-calls-on-old-trains-for-new-service/

You could be right, however, on the second part of your statement...

Are these the same railcars as the ones for the Sarnia increase?

I was under the impression they were going to run those Sarnia -> London -> Windsor.

Has something changed?

Good point. I also wonder if VIA will refurbish more RDCs in the future? Their roster states that they currently have 6 (active?) RDCs in their fleet. I know that they also have a bunch more stored at Willowbrook, but those look like they are in need of restoration. I'm only assuming all 6 will be used for SW Ontario service, but will that change if Vancouver Island gets VIA service restored?

VIA seems to be in a transition period, where it is trying to figure out what role it will play in the future. Proposals like HFR make sense as to capitalize on inter-city travel, and to modernize the system. SW Ontario RDC service seems to be an attempt at "if we run it, they will ride it", and I don't think we will know for a while if this service will be successful - however I hope it is. I hope VIA can come up with a series of proposals to modernize the service and re-align it for the 21st century, beyond HFR and RDC service. I'd also like to see better Metrolinx/GO/UPE integration and coordination, as no one wins if those services are competing for the same markets (ex. Kitchener, Niagara service).

Are these the same railcars as the ones for the Sarnia increase?

I was under the impression they were going to run those Sarnia -> London -> Windsor.
Why would they run from London-Windsor? There is already 4 trains a day there, as opposed to only 2 from London to Kitchener - which I'd think would have more demand.

Back